Are Xojo WebApps supported on Chromebooks?

1. last year

From what I can gather from google searches and here, Xojo Web Apps are not supported on Chromebooks. I am getting reports from end users that they arre getting the "Your browser is not supported,...:" page when trying to open my web app on a Chromebook.

If not, is there any workaround. This is unfortunate as I have a whole school that uses Chromebooks in the classroom trying to access the web app.

Thanks,

john

2. Michel B

13 Jan 2016 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

@John B From what I can gather from google searches and here, Xojo Web Apps are not supported on Chromebooks. I am getting reports from end users that they arre getting the "Your browser is not supported,...:" page when trying to open my web app on a Chromebook.

If not, is there any workaround. This is unfortunate as I have a whole school that uses Chromebooks in the classroom trying to access the web app.

That would be worth a bug report. What would probably help is if you can get the user-agent string from a Chromebook.

The workaround is to return True in the Session.HandleUnsupportedBrowser event.
    http://docs.xojo.com/index.php/WebSession.AllowUnsupportedBrowser

3. Tim P

13 Jan 2016 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Rochester, NY

There's actually a whole website dedicated to UserAgent Strings. The homepage will even explain how they break down.
    http://www.useragentstring.com/pages/Chrome/

4. Michel B

@Tim P There's actually a whole website dedicated to UserAgent Strings. The homepage will even explain how they break down.
    http://www.useragentstring.com/pages/Chrome/

I know that site. But if Xojo Web does not recognize the particular browser in Chrome OS, I suspect it is not your run off the mill Chrome. In the page where user-agent strings are listed by browser, Chrome Book or Chrome OS are not listed.

This site specifically lists Chrome OS browsers :
    http://www.webapps-online.com/online-tools/user-agent-strings/dv/operatingsystem52026/chrome-os

5. Ok. I added the Session.HandleUnsupportedBrowser event and am returning true. I do not have a Chromebook so am now waiting on feedback from one of the end users that contacted me. I tested with an old version of Firefox that I know is not supported and it appears to be working for me there.

How can I determine if it is a ChromeBook that is being rejected in the event handler. I would like to return true only for the Chromebook if it indeed does work. For all other rejections what would I return, false?

John

6. Michel B

Edited last year by Michel B

@John B Ok. I added the Session.HandleUnsupportedBrowser event and am returning true. I do not have a Chromebook so am now waiting on feedback from one of the end users that contacted me. I tested with an old version of Firefox that I know is not supported and it appears to be working for me there.

How can I determine if it is a ChromeBook that is being rejected in the event handler. I would like to return true only for the Chromebook if it indeed does work. For all other rejections what would I return, false?

John

Look at Session.Header("User-Agent") and compare to the user agent strings posted on the site I posted above.

I guess it is pretty safe to look for the string "CrOS" with Instr() as a marker for Chrome OS, which is the system that powers ChromeBooks.

7. Edited last year by John B

@Michel B Look at Session.Header("User-Agent") and compare to the user agent strings posted on the site I posted above.

Again, Thank you Michel! The Chromebooks are working now. I have provided an obscure button which I have asked one of them to click for me while on one of their Chromebooks. The button directs the database server to email me with their User-Agent. When I get the User-Agent, I should be able to restrict access for unsupported browsers to only their Chromebooks.

I will also submit the User-Agent as a possible bug.

Thanks again

John

8. Greg O

14 Jan 2016 Xojo Inc Somewhere near Raleigh, NC

@John B @Michel B Look at Session.Header("User-Agent") and compare to the user agent strings posted on the site I posted above.

Again, Thank you Michel! The Chromebooks are working now. I have provided an obscure button which I have asked one of them to click for me while on one of their Chromebooks. The button directs the database server to email me with their User-Agent. When I get the User-Agent, I should be able to restrict access for unsupported browsers to only their Chromebooks.

I will also submit the User-Agent as a possible bug.

Thanks again

John

Keep in mind that every time the browser is updated, that user-agent string will change slightly. You'll need to handle that if you want your app to still be working next month when Chrome is updated (they do a new release of Chrome just about once a month).

9. Michel B

14 Jan 2016 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

@Greg OLone Keep in mind that every time the browser is updated, that user-agent string will change slightly. You'll need to handle that if you want your app to still be working next month when Chrome is updated (they do a new release of Chrome just about once a month).

Indeed why I suggested only looking at the presence of "CrOS" in the user agent. The site I linked to is very exhaustive, though, and shows AFAIK all possible user agents. Which obviously vary.

10. For what it's worth, I have a Chromebook and I find that Web Apps run very well on it.

You can even run the Linux version of Xojo IDE on Chromebook using Crouton but I wouldn't recommend it unless you know your way around Linux.

11. last week

Peter S

Feb 16 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Huntsville, AL

I just encountered a customer with the same problem. So, should I just enter

Return True

in the AllowUnsupportedBrowser event for the Session to bypass the Chromebook problem?

12. 6 days ago

Peter S

Feb 17 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Huntsville, AL

Just a follow up to answer my own question for anyone else who may encounter it:

I did simply type Return True in the AllowUnsupportedBrowser event for the Session and the user with a Chromebook had no trouble after that.

13. Michel B

Feb 17 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

I just checked, found nothing with the mention "chromebook" in feedback. What would really be neat is to file a report, with the chromebook's user agent, so Greg can add that to the list of supported browsers.

I tried to google "chromebook user agent" with no luck.

14. Greg O

Feb 18 Xojo Inc Somewhere near Raleigh, NC

@Peter S Just a follow up to answer my own question for anyone else who may encounter it:

I did simply type Return True in the AllowUnsupportedBrowser event for the Session and the user with a Chromebook had no trouble after that.

Just remember that blindly returning true also means that it'll allow any browser to connect and start a session. Even those which don't have all of the requirements for our framework. It would be better to look at the user-agent header, find something unique about it and only return True if its present.

or Sign Up to reply!