Keyboard on touchscreen

I am having my Pi connected to the famous 7 inch capacitive-touch-screen, which works fine.
For a sample-program for some home automation I don’t want to provide a physical keyboard, so I will have to present one on a screen which can be used with a stylus.
Does anyone know is there is something available to create such keyboard, since I don’t want to build one myself with Xojo.

There’s this one “Virtual Keyboard for the Raspberry Pi” found on ozzmaker.com.

Thank you Richard for hinting me. But… this is not what I am looking for to have on a 7 inch screen.

I’m afraid need to build a Containercontrol myself. Not a big deal, but it feels like inventing the wheel.

JOEST (ok ok… pronouncing it the Dutch way now, like toast “Yoast” ) :stuck_out_tongue:
You got a 7" touchscreen as well? I ordered mine a 1 1/2 week ago. But nothing came in yet. They expect it to be here next week. But I will be filming for Serious Request in Heerlen, so no way I will be able to play with it until 2016 :frowning:

How do you like tinkering with the RPi so far? so far? And why the container control keyboard?
I am new with this Raspberry Pi revolution. I did buy a normal USB keyboard. Just in case… but eventually I want to use an on-screen keyboard as well :slight_smile:

RPI connected to a capacitive touchscreen runs fine, so the way is open to use it for autonomic control of things. And this is where you don’t want physical keyboard and mouse.
Think building for Android you can just popup the android default keyboard but four our Xojo for ARM application on a Linux Debian distribution it’s seems not to be available that way.

Hi Joost, i’m making a project on RPI2 that involves display and virtual keyboard, i’m almost done my own on-screen-keyboard, if you like i can show you my work.

Hi Massimo, sure I would like to see some screendumps if possible.
I was thinking about building a virtual keyboard as a containercontrol as soon as I need it. Technically not a big deal, but it will take some development time to make the look and feel nice and professional, complete with numeric etc.

sure, here is a first version, all keys are made with custom canvas with mouse events, they works flawless on the PI official display.
I’ve used a modal window because my interface is already made of container control (you can see a top stripe in the screen), and overlay another container is a mess.

Looks good Massimo.
It’s true that we must avoid overlay of containercontrols.
What Linux version are you running on the Pi ? Raspbian Jessy ?

I’m using last build of jessie

@Massimo Maioli : how did you manage to get rid of or hide the Jessie graphic interface in order to present just your own after booting ? Do you have a commandline version of Linux installed. ?

Hi joost, i’ve tryed with a command line only distribution but with no luck, so for now i toggle off all the Raspbian boot messages and rpi logo, put an image as bootscreen and when xwindow loads i load my app and hide toolbar, it’s not perfect yet and i’m working on it.
The app is fullscreen with plainbox window type, sized 800x480px so when you launch, it fills all the screen.
I have only one window and all the interface is made by containercontrols that i load and unload as neeeded.

meanwhile, keyboard section is going on.

Think you have modal window too, which represents the virtual keyboard.

Looks professional and convenient.
If you need more space for extra buttons, you could simple make the spacebar a bit smaller. :slight_smile:

I have my setup, PI with Jessie on the 7 inch capacitive touch screen with an I/O extensionboard connected @ office and just made a few test programs to get familiar with it.
I will continue working on it from beginning of January starting a pilot project for some home automation l go for the IDE on the touchscreen and also a web-interface for remote access.

Yes, right.

Good, we can exchange our experience, my project is a touchcontroller for aquarium power plugs.

Sure,

Joost/Massimo - I wanted to ask if you’ve made any progress on an ideal Virtual Keyboard project. I tried using both the Florence and Matchbox virtual keyboards, and they seem very buggy, in fact so buggy that I had to roll back and get rid of them all together.

So I’m checking with you to see if you or anyone you know has a good Xojo-based solution.

Many thanks for your feedback.

Although I am still very enthusiastic about R Pi as a platform in combination with Xojo, I decided about year ago to limit the afford to put in due to the fact that Xojo itself had to make a few steps forward before being really productive in developing software for the Pi. And now, just one year later, I think the same, unfortunately. Remote debugging is a must, but still lacking, and commercial opportunities are rare.

Pi remote debugging is tied into the same set of issues that make it such that 64 bit debugging is not present yet.
Seems odd but true.