Xojo IDE can be slow

Hi,

I was in a hurry earlier today and wanted to make a simple test (is there’s a simple test ?) on WIndows (8.1 here).

I had to locate where Xojo 2015r1 is, then run it, then watch tv (sorry, no tv): watch how the IXE draw each tab, one after one, then display all property panes, one after the other, and at last gaves me the hand (let me search where is the part I want to test).

The PC laptopn I used is only a $400 machine (14 months), but this is pretty slow (nice to see it, but slow, especially when you do not really have time to waste ;-:).

That said, I do not know what to do / expect; no, I do not have money to buy a speedier computer. And before doing that, I think I have to update my license, so none of them will be done in 2015.

No worries. That also happens on my iMac 5k with i7 cpu running Windows 10
That was always the case with any Xojo version.

[quote=232318:@Emile Schwarz]Hi,

I was in a hurry earlier today and wanted to make a simple test (is there’s a simple test ?) on WIndows (8.1 here).

I had to locate where Xojo 2015r1 is, then run it, then watch tv (sorry, no tv): watch how the IXE draw each tab, one after one, then display all property panes, one after the other, and at last gaves me the hand (let me search where is the part I want to test).

The PC laptopn I used is only a $400 machine (14 months), but this is pretty slow (nice to see it, but slow, especially when you do not really have time to waste ;-:).

That said, I do not know what to do / expect; no, I do not have money to buy a speedier computer. And before doing that, I think I have to update my license, so none of them will be done in 2015.[/quote]

There are potentially hundreds of variables that could be involved in the scenario you have described, so I think its unfair to lay the blame only at the feet of Xojo. I run Xojo on an old 2009 Mac with 4gb of RAM and I get lightning fast performance from the IDE and debug version of the program I am running. I have always thought that developing an app on a fast computer is not always a good thing.

No. In my i3 PowerBook 13", it works fast / I do not saw that.

What I do not tell was: I boot the Windows laptop and only fired Xojo (no other application was run / no special hardware / Airplane mode ON).

Yes, it only is very slow running Windows. Loading a project and using tabs makes it load/setup slow. You see updating the Xojo IDE second by second.
Only happens when loading projects.

I’ve seen Xojo run slow on Windows before. Rebooting my computer always ‘reset’ it back to acceptably fast for me in the past.

I do have plenty of RAM and an i7 CPU. Sometimes I only reboot my main computer once a month or whenever I can get away with it and often run dozens of programs with many windows open at the same time.

I get the impression that for me this is more of a general Windows thing as some other programs also slow down as well. Rebooting makes a big difference when it happens. If I shut it down every day it would probably never happen for me.

Windows is slow often for several minutes immediately after boot. Especially the latest versions such as 8.1 and 10 show the full desktop much before everything is in place.

On Windows 8.1 boot, once I saw the Modern Interface, if I press “Terr”, often (if not always) the first letter (t) is lost (eaten by Windows).

This is for getting (and firing) the Terratec Home CInema application.

Hello,

does anyone else have problems with the speed of the Xojo 2017r2.1 IDE under Windows 10?

When writing in the editor, it takes up to 5 seconds for the characters to be displayed. Scrolling in the editor window is normally fast. When using the mouse wheel, you don’t notice any delay.
Moving the entire XOJO window on the desktop is also very slow. Even if you switch for example between library and inspector, you can watch the window while opening it.

Do you know how to speed this up?

My HP Elitebook (4x 2.1 GHz with turbo on 3. GHz; 8GB RAM; SSD) works really well for all applications. Except for Xojo.

Try to run xojo.exe in ADMINISTRATOR mode.

Quit all other applications ?
Set plane mode to ON ?

Quit Xojo and clear the contents of teh Cache folder ?

In my opinion, Microsoft has been too nice to 3rd party computer makers (ASUS, HP, Etc = hackintosh) and these companies load bloatware on your computer.

My suggestion is to run CCleaner (free) and Spybot (free) on your Windows computer to remove some of the bloatware off of your computer. The third party companies will continue to download garbage in the background, and periodically (once a month?) run these two programs to keep Windows running fast.

Some of these programs cannot be uninstalled from your computer because these companies receive a commission on your data.

If you have the extra funds to purchase a Microsoft surface pro, then this will not have bloatware installed. Surface pro machines are more expensive, just like a MacBook Pro, and there is a large difference in reliability and speed.

I’ve had speed issues with Xojo on Windows on anything after 2016r1.1, and have discussed it at length with Xojo support / engineering. Same slow typing and sluggish windows you are describing. And my own built apps (decent sized ones, small ones are OK) are sluggish. So, currently I have to use 2015r4.1 to work in. I haven’t been happy with Xojo’s performance after the Windows version of Xojo started using Directwrite.

[quote=359548:@Eugene Dakin]
My suggestion is to run CCleaner (free) and Spybot (free) on your Windows computer to remove some of the bloatware off of your computer. [/quote]

My opinion is it is way best to manually clean the rubbish. CCleaner is a dog - I have run it a couple of times and each time the PC failed to boot after. In September the distribution came with its own free bloatware in the form of malware. Not to be trusted. Run MSConfig and apply your mind to get rid of the junk.

The junk likely isn’t causing this, I’ve seen this problem on multiple machines and others have commented the same. He should fire up 2016r1.1 and see how it performs for comparison. It’s like night and day on my systems, anything 2016r2 and beyond is unusable it is so slow and sluggish.

I think it’s a little too easy to blame the problem on bloatware. In contrast to XOJO, much more extensive programs (for example from Adobe) work without any problems.

I tried Xojo 2016r1.1: It’s as different as day and night! In contrast to Visual Studio, the program still feels quite “chewy”, but at least you can see directly what you are writing. :wink:

Hi Henrik and Merv,

Yes, I agree that bloatware is not the only possible thing that can slow the program down. Bloatware does make a difference.

I have also noticed a decrease in visual performance with Xojo. I am looking forward to a Xojo release that uses the benefits of Direct write.

Henrik, what model number is your HP Elitebook ?

Also, Xojo 2017 Release 3 which should be out "soon"™®©(XYZ) might have a few IDE/typing speed increases or so a little birdy tells me shifty eyes Thats just a guess shifty eyes

HP EliteBook 745 G3 T4H61EA#ABD