RASPBERRY PI ZERO: THE $5 COMPUTER

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero/

XOJO are supported ??

Xojo is not. It’s the wrong architecture.
https://forum.xojo.com/conversation/post/232137

It’s not “the wrong architecture”. Xojo simply does not support it. It’s an ARMv6, for now Xojo only supports ARMv7 RasPi2.

Words :wink:

• Father, how do we call a pair of 2 long poems?
  • Diode.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry for the question, but…

Is there’s somewhere a list of usages for such a computer (the $5 and the B version) ?

In my mind, the news tastes good, but… what for ?

[quote=232320:@Emile Schwarz]Sorry for the question, but…
Is there’s somewhere a list of usages for such a computer (the $5 and the B version) ?

Cheapy homework-only computers for my sawn off savages who could break a Tonka toy. It’s not “if” they will pour tea all over them, just “when”. And the pill is less bitter for a fiver than a £300 lap top…

DIY IoT :wink:

[quote=232320:@Emile Schwarz]Sorry for the question, but…

In my mind, the news tastes good, but… what for ?[/quote]
Come on man, you’re a computer programmer! Think what you could do with an insanely tiny 1Ghz computer that costs 5 bucks. Google will help you find a gazillion projects if nothing comes to mind :slight_smile:

It’s a shame it does not support the PiCam…that would have been great :slight_smile:

I may have a blockage …

Two years ago, a friend of mine lends me an Android tablet… and I do not know what to do with it !

People say, “oh, I can make an mp3 player”, or, “I can make a camera to view my Guinea pigs in their nest” etc. etc.
All of these items already exist ready-made, so I can never understand what the appeal is of making your own??

[quote=232388:@Richard Summers]People say, “oh, I can make an mp3 player”, or, “I can make a camera to view my Guinea pigs in their nest” etc. etc.
All of these items already exist ready-made, so I can never understand what the appeal is of making your own??[/quote]
It’s not for everybody but some people want to customize these things or can’t find products that match exactly what they want. Sometimes it’s for fun, sometimes it’s for practical home use, sometimes it’s for business, there are lots of things these little things can do and you can build it into whatever your imagination can dream up. But if it’s not for you, that’s okay too :slight_smile:

[quote=232388:@Richard Summers]People say, “oh, I can make an mp3 player”, or, “I can make a camera to view my Guinea pigs in their nest” etc. etc.
All of these items already exist ready-made, so I can never understand what the appeal is of making your own??[/quote]

I made an automatic cat-spanker.
It’s not for everyone, I appreciate. But it’s very cost effective now.

Next project is how to route SIP calls through a dead dog to improve the voice quality over O2…

I’m now curious and thinking of buying a Pi 2 to make a media server.

Question 1: Can an Apple wireless keyboard be used with it, or would I need to buy one of those minuscule keyboard / touchpad combo thingies?

Question 2: Can you set Raspbian OS to automatically run a Xojo made app upon start-up?

Thanks.

Apple keyboards use bluetooth, so if you can find a working bluetooth dongle for the pi, it would probably work. Search with google and see if anyone’s got any success stories for bluetooth. I don’t recall anything, but I haven’t had any use for bluetooth on the pi, so I probably just haven’t run across it yet.

You can set an app to startup pretty much like anything else. Depends on if you want command line or gui which way to do it, but I’m sure you can find that online.

[quote=232440:@Richard Summers]I’m now curious and thinking of buying a Pi 2 to make a media server.

Question 1: Can an Apple wireless keyboard be used with it, or would I need to buy one of those minuscule keyboard / touchpad combo thingies?

Question 2: Can you set Raspbian OS to automatically run a Xojo made app upon start-up?

Thanks.[/quote]
You could set up a VNC server and control it from your Mac too.

I have quite a collection of ARM based Linux boards here, so I have been testing XOJO on them. I’m working on a XOJO test executable for me to approximate the speed differences for my robotics applications. I haven’t finished my “robotics benchmark” yet, but I will post the results when I do. In the meantime, here ate the results of my testing to see if XOJO will run on my current crop of boards. Of course XOJO also runs on the several tiny X86 boards I have, as well.

Raspberry Pi 2 B+ : XOJO runs fine
CPU: Broadcom BCM2836 ARMv7 Quad Core @ 900MHz
MEMORY: 1GB SDRAM @ 400 MHz

Raspberry Pi B+ : NO - ARMv6 Arch.
CPU: Broadcom BCM2835 ARMv6 SoC @700 MHz
MEMORY: 512 MB SDRAM @ 400 MHz

Raspberry Pi Zero : NO - ARMv6 Arch.
CPU: Broadcom BCM2835 ARMv6 SoC @1 GHz
MEMORY: 512 MB SDRAM @ 400 MHz

UDOO Dual : XOJO runs fine on this A9 Arch.
CPU: Freescale i.MX 6 ARM Cortex-A9 Dual core 1GHz
MEMORY: DDR3 1GB

Banana Pi; BPI-M3 Octa-Core : XOJO runs fine (fast, too app 2X RPi 2)
CPU: A83T ARM Cortex-A7 octa-core,512 KB L1 cache 1 MB L2 cache
MEMORY: 2GB LPDDR3 (shared with GPU)

Parallella 18 Core : Don’t know yet, still working on it
CPU: XC7Z010 - Xilinx Zynq Dual - core ARM A9 And
E16G301 - Epiphany 16 - core CPU
MEMORY: DDR3 1GB

Cheers
Jim

Beaglebone Black?
I have one here.
How du you measure ?
Benchmark values from the application?
I could test the BBB here and give you the results if you like.

I am also interested in the Beaglebone. Has anyone tested it???