Feedback ranking

I just wrote an entry and get an eye on the Top Cases…

2 5th Provide “All Code” View in IDE Reviewed 000004 2 14th Support for SVG import/export for vector graphics N/A 000013

Strange: I do not know who needs to read all code of a project in the IDE, but I think we are tons of people that will have a use of a vector image format (watch Alvyn brand new conversation in this forum).

Your comments ?

AFAIK, the Ranking is based on the “My Top Cases” Cases of the Users. If this is calculated correctly, there is more need in the community for an “All Code” view then for “SVG import/export”. :wink:

Hi Sasha:

this is where I do not understand !

In my 17 years (from pre-REALbasic 1.0 times) use, I never needed that feature.

BUT: I would use a vector graphics file format.

Of course, this is just me. Maybe when others have that need, they will use Xamarin 4 ? (or other tool)

I can understand that you want to push your most needed feature. But i can’t understand why you can’t understand that others may have other needs within Xojo. :wink:

Please excuse my weak english. I do not want to offend you here. :slight_smile:

No offense found, Sasha.

I was talking about a strange feature request, one that I never think at since my Apple II days… / AppleSoftw BASIC / Assembler / C coding days. I even print some…

On the other hand, everyone have his beloved feature request (and bug squash request).

I would say you wont see either.

both of those cases are years and years old.

Keep in mind that users with Pro licenses have more voting power than others, but also that the case you’ve put in your #1 spot gets more points than the #5 spot.

It’s also worth noting that we don’t only use Feedback ranking for figuring out what to do next. It is but one factor that gives us an indication of what our licensed customers want.

And I would say that the All Code request has a more generic appeal to many since they believe that the IDE Code Editor is arbitrarily constrained and doesn’t need to be. Hence the request for an All Code view and its popularity.

I can appreciate the appeal of SVG import/export but most of use are doing okay without it now. That’s not to say we couldn’t use it but it’s just not on our radar.

Feel free to use the forums to garner more points for your pet Feedback requests. Who knows, there might be a BUNCH of people that want SVG. We know, now, that many want the All Code view.

In the interim, those who need SVG support can have a look at the open source DrawSVG project on GitHub.

Although it is still work in progress, it should be sufficient for most SVG rendering needs.

Emile, FWIW, I think what you translate “to get an eye on” would better be rendered as “to look at”.

And that is plainly wrong…

Information for those who does not know:

You can print to pdf the whole project provided you do not select an entry in the Navigation pane (left part of the Project window) and really get the whole Project code sorted by where they are (by window, module, etc.) as is on OS X, with a virtual printer on Windows / Linux (and with colors…).

Not for everybody…

Mmmm here are my favorites… just for your information… the oldest feature request is 15 year old by now…

I think you miss the point of their request. It’s not that they just want to ‘see’ the source code, they want to be abel to edit source code in that form too.

What other development language constrains you like Xojo? You absolutely have to use their UI to create a method, add properties, etc when every other dev tool I’ve used lets you do that freeform. In the process of making source code editing ‘error proof’ Xojo puts up arbitrary barriers and in the long makes it harder, and slower, to use.

[quote=230616:@Bob Keeney]And I would say that the All Code request has a more generic appeal to many since they believe that the IDE Code Editor is arbitrarily constrained and doesn’t need to be. Hence the request for an All Code view and its popularity.
[/quote]
Actually the code editor is viewing the editable units in the IDE quite directly
All code view is the unnatural view - its not stored in memory or managed as one giant blob of text

[quote=230852:@Norman Palardy]Actually the code editor is viewing the editable units in the IDE quite directly
All code view is the unnatural view - its not stored in memory or managed as one giant blob of text[/quote]
I know that. That doesn’t make it the best way to code. I believe the current code editor is slower in many respects than if it was just one big blob of text. Forcing us to use the Inspector to declare everything is probably slower than if we could just do it in the code editor. All that mousing around is a major pain at times. You need the mouse to do practically anything.

It would definitely have its own set of tradeoffs

Sure, but yet somehow most other development environments have figured it out. And I’ve heard it more than a few times that it’s a major turnoff to people coming from other environments.

I’m not saying it’s perfect and I’m not saying it would be better than what we have now. But, since we have zero choice in the matter I’m sure it’s a little bit of the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence thing.

Having to use the mouse to do a lot of things is a major issue in Xojo. Too many things require the mouse to do code related activities.

That, and the fact that ex-VB6 users like myself, just thought that is the way it should always be. One thing that I am sure would be an issue is performance. I just went through a lot of beta iterations on the performance of the cursor in the code editor. Other factors affected the problem, but in general, the longer the method, the more susceptible it was to the issue on Windows. I can only imagine how an All Code view would exasperate the problem.

Anyone up for some love on FB #40394? We’ve now got this great bookmarking scheme in place which as really cut down on searching for code, but the only way to show the Bookmark list, is 3 clicks in the main menu, every time you want to see the list. Would be great to have a hotkey or button in the toolbar to show the bookmarks. Its not like there isn’t tons of room to put some items in the toolbar.

I’m already giving most of my love to <https://xojo.com/issue/40431> which raises the same concern about the bookmarks.

Here is a suggested mock-up of how the bookmarks feature might be improved.

https://forum.xojo.com/27217-bookmarks-suggestions

Perhaps <https://xojo.com/issue/40394> and <https://xojo.com/issue/40431> should be merged into a single FB ticket?