Cue Text in a Text field

Iam thinking about adding Cue text to a web text field. I can think of a few different ways to implement this behavior.

A container with a text field and a label in it. in the mouse enter event of the text filed: I could make the label invisible. But his involves a trip to the server and it is not reliable.

Im curious if anyone has done this.

I don’t web, but it seems to me to be easier to use the textfield itself for this stuff.

SubClass it and add a boolean property State, a string property CueText then use the mouseIn to determine the state and what to do.

Thats the approach I had identified: BUt the Mouse in event requires a trip back tot he server and can be or interrupted.

Im trying to avoid that

I haven’t tried it, but maybe you could create a WebCustomControl that creates an Input control that specifies the CueText using the placeholder tag?

How do you add Cuetext to a text area object? There is not an option for that in the inspector. I only see the CueText option for text field objects.

Have a look at “exited labels”

https://campsoftware.com/blog/index_files/Excited-Labels-for-Xojo-which-could-also-work-in-FileMaker.php