Best Reporting Tool

I’m coming back to Xojo after a few years away. Happy to be back. I’m trying to recall, re-learn, what I knew before and then start focusing on expanding my knowledge.

So, the question is, what is the best reporting tool to use?

At the time I stopped developing in Xojo, the build-in reporting tools were very limited, so I ended up building my own reporting classes. But they weren’t perfect either.

Where does Xojo reporting stand now? Is it the best alternative out there, or should I be looking at some 3rd party solutions (such as BKeeney Shorts)? Or should I just build my own classes?

Thanks, Michael

Bkeeney Shorts is great, I can build just about any report I like. I just started with the Demos and took a little time to figure out how everything worked. Easy to use once you learn how to set things up. As far as building you own classes go, it will not take long until you zoom past the cost of BKeeney Shorts. If cost is a concern, no point in reinventing the wheel.

I don’t know about “the best for…” I thinking on “more appropriate for…” you need options, and one option is valentina reports; other option is DBReport, all have pros and disadvantages. I know developers who use DynaPDF to generate reports and use a reader for view them… I hope this post help you to decide :slight_smile:

There is also a Shorts Report Designer that is in beta right now (https://forum.xojo.com/24401-designer-for-bkeeney-shorts-reporting-tool) that will make this even easier. Use the designer for 90% of your reports and if you find one that can’t be done with the designer you can always revert to doing it via code.

Thank you, guys, for your replies.

Merv, I’ll definetely be looking into BKeeney Shorts is definitely an option.

Bernardo, could you possibly give a quick rundown of the pros and cons of the tools your mentioned? DBReport looks very interesting.

Bob, interesting to hear about the Short Report Designer. I’ll keep an eye out for that.

Best,
Michael

I use valentina adk but
You can try jasper repots by command line parameters with jasper starter

Valentina Reports is available as an ADK for Xojo (for embedding reports into your Xojo desktop app), plus its also a part of Valentina Server (that part we just call Valentina Reports Server). It runs on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X, supports 30+ development platforms and more.

You need to use Valentina Studio Pro for designing the reports, but the reports projects themselves can work with Valentina Reports ADK for Xojo or Valentina Server.

Valentina Developer Network also lets you deploy copies of Valentina Server royalty free. If you need to deploy your own client-server solution, this is the way to go.

I use Valentina (OmegaBudle) since 5.5 to 6.0 with great success in desktop and web apps.
Sorry Lynn / RusIan than use this space but I have a few problems::

• Cannot access to technical support
  • I register at Mantis bug tracker but the activation email never arrives ( I tried several days)
  • I cannot see the option to buy / see price of the Server section
  • When you create a Report from the new option (MSSQL Server) and preview always says (no valid source data)

Thanks in advance for you help

[quote=218340:@Juan Tosi]I use Valentina (OmegaBudle) since 5.5 to 6.0 with great success in desktop and web apps.
Sorry Lynn / RusIan than use this space but I have a few problems::

• Cannot access to technical support
  • I register at Mantis bug tracker but the activation email never arrives ( I tried several days)
  • I cannot see the option to buy / see price of the Server section
  • When you create a Report from the new option (MSSQL Server) and preview always says (no valid source data)

Thanks in advance for you help[/quote]

Hi Juan,

To access tech support, you need to be logged in to your account. Your account was activated in March. If you try to log in multiple times in short succession then you’ll be temporarily blocked. Are you able to see the website?

Valentina Server is here, and Valentina Developer network is here.

You need to ask your question regarding MS SQL Server on our forum.

Hi Lynn this is the message “THANK YOU FOR VISITING OUR SITE. OUR SECURITY SYSTEM HAS TEMPORARILY BLOCKED YOUR ACCESS BECAUSE OF TOO MANY FAILED ATTEMPTS TO LOG IN”…

I tried from other computer and message when go to the site: http://www.valentina-db.net/en/buy-now-valentina-server is “Message Product Not Found”

I want to create an account for one of the programmers bur the activation email for use mantis, never arrive.

[quote=219050:@Juan Tosi]Hi Lynn this is the message “THANK YOU FOR VISITING OUR SITE. OUR SECURITY SYSTEM HAS TEMPORARILY BLOCKED YOUR ACCESS BECAUSE OF TOO MANY FAILED ATTEMPTS TO LOG IN”…

I tried from other computer and message when go to the site: http://www.valentina-db.net/en/buy-now-valentina-server is “Message Product Not Found”

I want to create an account for one of the programmers bur the activation email for use mantis, never arrive.[/quote]

If you are having a problem logging in, you may want to initiate a password reset. It looks like you haven’t logged in since late March.

We hit a bit of a bump on our website because we have several languages all being worked on at the same time. You should be able to find the server link here.

Thanks Lynn, the problem was solved, one more question.

Is Valentina ready for 64bits?, Xojo will be releasing the 2015R3 with 64 bits supports this week.