ACTIVE X

I had plenty Active X used in Visual Basic 6.

Can I use it to xojo?

How?

Menu insert -> ActiveX component…
Select your Active X and Xojo will create module/object that you will be able to use

I would say: only use ActiveX if you have no alternative. Those day’s are over …

I Agree!

ActiveX support has been removed from Windows 10 Edge default browser. The writing is on the wall…

On the other hand, .NET DLLs are well supported even with the new API in UWP apps. Don’t know about COM objects, though.

Like many technologies in Windows, ActiveX will live on for quite a while.

Agree Bob, but since not being supported in Edge ActiveX controls and DLL’s will rapidly get unpopular.

I agree only to the extent that there are browser-only ActiveX controls. They are huge security risks, and they only ever worked in Windows. Between those two reasons there’s no reason to have browser only ActiveX controls going forward.

Lots of businesses rely on ActiveX desktop controls so those aren’t going away any time soon. Any VB6 apps still out there (and there are a LOT of them still) still need ActiveX to work. Windows 10 still runs VB6 and still supports VB6 applications. ActiveX will be around for a long, long time.

Large people still love Visual Basic 6 because its still supported by latest Windows version and has small footprint unlike .net counter part.

Also, Active X is very mature product that’s why I still kept performing programs with this component.

However, since im planning to migrate to XOJO, im still looking forward on how both system function properly. I tried to add ActiveX in xojo but it prompt an error.

Do we have Active X compatibility to consider?

Yes. It’s been a while since I’ve asked (so it may have changed), but I don’t thing Xojo supports the full COM specification.

So what’s the use of INSERT ACTIVE X if its not functional?

Maybe there is a compatible commercial component there that may work?

Any recommendation?

My own feelings on the matter are that the sooner you ditch ActiveX and embrace the Xojo cross-platform way of doing things you’ll probably be better off. I get that sometimes you don’t have a choice (working with an ActiveX control myself currently) and you just have to realize that some things just won’t work. The ONLY reason I stuck with an ActiveX component was because the Xojo only alternative was not as good and would have required a lot of code rewrite.

Xojo doesn’t work with every ActiveX component. The only way to know is to try it. But sometimes there are other ways to connect to Windows components. Perhaps the Combit List & Label blog post might provide some tips.

Wow… Combit List and Label is a wonderful Runtime Report Designer for Windows… i’ve used older versions in some VB 6Apps a long Time ago… will check out how to use it with Xojo if Customers need a Designer for their Reports…

What do you think about using Combit List and Label reports for printing (not designing) under mac too if using a Windows PC as a Service PC for Printing… is there a way to send Data and report specification from a mac application to an Windows service PC which manages the printout stuff?

[quote=210201:@Antonio Rinaldi]Menu insert -> ActiveX component…
Select your Active X and Xojo will create module/object that you will be able to use[/quote]
Not working with DTPicker date time …

very stingly xojo does not have enough controls unlike Vb6, even for basics ctrl as time an date.

Some of these missing components, which I agree should be naively included in Xojo, you’d better buy as a plugin from a third party company. (MBS, Einhugur, Graffitisuite and may be more).
According to my knowledge, the 64-bit IDE does not accept old 32-bit OCX and DLL.

[quote=399340:@Joost Rongen]Some of these missing components, which I agree should be naively included in Xojo, you’d better buy as a plugin from a third party company. (MBS, Einhugur, Graffitisuite and may be more).
According to my knowledge, the 64-bit IDE does not accept old 32-bit OCX and DLL.[/quote]
Joost,
I have already bought a control date and time (Einhugur plugin).
It means that all Vb6 ocx are lost … , thanks.

VB6 was released back in 1998.