Automatic Updates?

1. ‹ Older
  2. 4 years ago

Kem T

19 Aug 2015 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers Connecticut

"Way better" is in the eye of the beholder. :)

If UltraUpdater works for you, great. If there is an advantage to Kaju, you'll find it in the Read Me at the site.

3. Jon O

19 Aug 2015 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Chicago Area USA

@Kem T "Way better" is in the eye of the beholder. :)

If UltraUpdater works for you, great. If there is an advantage to Kaju, you'll find it in the Read Me at the site.

Intriguing. I'm going to have to look at it. I like the idea of being able to flag something as a paid update. I've had numerous times when I put it in the release notes that it's a paid update, but people still download it and then complain when they can't run it!

I like the idea as well that it just updates and doesn't need to run an installer app...Cool...

4. Kem T

And now, with the new CLI, you can automate the whole process with your builds too. Just maintain a file with your release notes and create a build script around it.

5. Jon O

19 Aug 2015 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Chicago Area USA

OK. I gotta take a look at this.

You guys gotta stop creating all this cool stuff! :D

6. Kem T

Request denied.

7. scott b

19 Aug 2015 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro local coffee shop

@Kem T Request denied.

I have to agree on the denial. @Kem T makes awesome tools one after another.

8. Jean-Yves P

19 Aug 2015 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (France, Besançon)

from what I read, Kaju is not suitable to work with the app store ? ( i.e. not sandboxed ?)

9. Thom M

20 Aug 2015 Pre-Release Testers Greater Hartford Area, CT

@jean-yvespochez from what I read, Kaju is not suitable to work with the app store ? ( i.e. not sandboxed ?)

No automatic updater can work in a sandboxed app. They also are not permitted in applications available on the app store. The store handles the updates for you, you don't have a choice.

But a correctly sandboxed app, regardless of the app store, simply cannot use an automatic updater. Even if you used an installer to setup a service to handle the updates, that service app would too need to be sandboxed and thus could not update the main app.

10. Jean-Yves P

20 Aug 2015 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (France, Besançon)

if you compile en app that has Kaju libs inside, even if it is not launched, it will be refused by apple if you submit the app right ?

11. Beatrix W

20 Aug 2015 Pre-Release Testers, Third Party Store Europe (Germany)

You MAS app shouldn't have an update feature so I'd say to simply hide the UI for updating.

12. Kem T

20 Aug 2015 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers Connecticut

@jean-yvespochez if you compile en app that has Kaju libs inside, even if it is not launched, it will be refused by apple if you submit the app right ?

I don't see why, it's just Xojo code. There are no "libs" per se so, as Beatrix says, just don't call the code in the MAS version.

13. David C

21 Aug 2015 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Derby, ITM

I use a constant in the Open Event for AppleStore = True. Then use the # to block the compiling of it e.g.

#if app.AppStore then
    Kaju code
    #endif

14. Simon B

21 Aug 2015 Europe (Wiltshire, UK)

@jean-yvespochez if you compile en app that has Kaju libs inside, even if it is not launched, it will be refused by apple if you submit the app right ?

Most of my apps on MAS have Kaju inside but not called for MAS. I just use a compiler switch to create two versions, one for MAS and one for outside.

15. Markus W

21 Aug 2015 #JeSuisHuman New Zealand, Auc...
    Edited 4 years ago

@David C I use a constant in the Open Event for AppleStore = True. Then use the # to block the compiling of it e.g.

#if app.AppStore then
    Kaju code
    #endif

Don't you mean

#if NOT app.AppStore then
    Kaju code
    #endif
  16. David C

21 Aug 2015 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Derby, ITM

Yes and no. Well, really yes.

Yes in my example above. No, in that in some areas you want to remove update menus and certain buttons from the AppStore version.

17. last week

Boudewijn K

Nov 3 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Amsterdam NL, Fischer Tx

@Kem T : Does Kaju still work on MacOS 10.15 Catalina?

18. Kem T

Nov 3 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers Connecticut

I don't know, but I'll be tackling it soon.

19. James S

Nov 3 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

Since I’m not interested in an automatic update and only in alerting the user to the availability of a new version I don’t use any of those systems. Just make a simple web request to the distribution server for a json file that contains the current version info and some other descriptive info and dates and such. The program will check it a few minutes after startup and once a week and compare it’s internal version numbers against whats in the file. If they are newer in the json file I display that info and offer a link to the download page which is also in the JSON.

Simple checkbox in preferences to stop it if the used doesn’t want it.

Very simple and since there is no auto update it will not run up against any security stuff or any other issues.

20. Steve A

Nov 3 Little Falls, NJ

@James S Since I’m not interested in an automatic update and only in alerting the user to the availability of a new version

This is my preference also. But it is really easy to modify the Kaju application to change the Install Update button to direct the user to my download page and still keep the nice features of Kaju that allow me to manage the update notification process.

21. James S

Nov 3 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

My response was only really for those that haven’t implemented it yet. I have used it for other things, this was by no means meant to be any kind of negative review of it. It’s fantastic.

or Sign Up to reply!