Automatic Updates?

Been distant working on a plethora of other projects. What is the best means of having the app search for updates and then take the user to an install page or something of the sort? This is for a Desktop platform.

Thank you!

Have a look at https://github.com/ktekinay/Kaju .

or MBS UpdaterKit

Does Kaju work like a plug-in or what?

No, all Xojo code. The read me at the site tells you everything.

I use UltraUpdater written by Xojo’s own Paul Lefebvre.

Cool, but Kaju (not to be confused with Kaiju, which are the alien monsters in the Pacific Rim film) is probably a better choice these days than UltraUpdater (which is no longer even available).

This was the first I heard of Kaju, Paul. I bought your UltraUpdater several years ago and it works great. I’ve modified it somewhat (i.e.: I put the update request into a thread to free up the UI, etc) but at this point, I don’t know if I see a need to change it unless Kaju is way better…

“Way better” is in the eye of the beholder. :slight_smile:

If UltraUpdater works for you, great. If there is an advantage to Kaju, you’ll find it in the Read Me at the site.

[quote=208244:@Kem Tekinay]“Way better” is in the eye of the beholder. :slight_smile:

If UltraUpdater works for you, great. If there is an advantage to Kaju, you’ll find it in the Read Me at the site.[/quote]

Intriguing. I’m going to have to look at it. I like the idea of being able to flag something as a paid update. I’ve had numerous times when I put it in the release notes that it’s a paid update, but people still download it and then complain when they can’t run it!

I like the idea as well that it just updates and doesn’t need to run an installer app…Cool…

And now, with the new CLI, you can automate the whole process with your builds too. Just maintain a file with your release notes and create a build script around it.

OK. I gotta take a look at this.

You guys gotta stop creating all this cool stuff! :smiley:

Request denied.

I have to agree on the denial. @Kem Tekinay makes awesome tools one after another.

from what I read, Kaju is not suitable to work with the app store ? ( i.e. not sandboxed ?)

No automatic updater can work in a sandboxed app. They also are not permitted in applications available on the app store. The store handles the updates for you, you don’t have a choice.

But a correctly sandboxed app, regardless of the app store, simply cannot use an automatic updater. Even if you used an installer to setup a service to handle the updates, that service app would too need to be sandboxed and thus could not update the main app.

if you compile en app that has Kaju libs inside, even if it is not launched, it will be refused by apple if you submit the app right ?

You MAS app shouldn’t have an update feature so I’d say to simply hide the UI for updating.

I don’t see why, it’s just Xojo code. There are no “libs” per se so, as Beatrix says, just don’t call the code in the MAS version.

I use a constant in the Open Event for AppleStore = True. Then use the # to block the compiling of it e.g.

#if app.AppStore then
Kaju code
#endif