Xojo Installation Ubuntu - Linux

I have used the Ubuntu 14.04 - 32bit OS and download the Xojo for Ubuntu / Debian Linux.
after download the same I have extract the xojo…

But I dont know how to install the same. Help me out

You only need to double click the resulting .deb file and the Ubuntu package installer will do the rest.

I would also recommend that you follow this link and install a different Desktop environment as Ubuntu’s default desktop is rather sluggish when using the Xojo IDE:

https://forum.xojo.com/24684-how-to-install-alternative-desktop-managers-in-ubuntu

[quote=206980:@Tim Jones]I would also recommend that you follow this link and install a different Desktop environment as Ubuntu’s default desktop is rather sluggish when using the Xojo IDE:

https://forum.xojo.com/24684-how-to-install-alternative-desktop-managers-in-ubuntu[/quote]

Tim, your intentions are commendable, but at this point, the OP needs to install something to start with… Could be a tad premature…

Well, they indicated that they had downloaded and extracted the .deb file and asked how to install it. My first sentence answered that by recommending simply double-clicking the .deb file.

The second was an attempt to provide guidance to a better IDE experience under Ubuntu by providing the reference to installing a more IDE-friendly Desktop.

[quote=206997:@Tim Jones]Well, they indicated that they had downloaded and extracted the .deb file and asked how to install it. My first sentence answered that by recommending simply double-clicking the .deb file.

The second was an attempt to provide guidance to a better IDE experience under Ubuntu by providing the reference to installing a more IDE-friendly Desktop.[/quote]

Fingers crossed, the OP will succeed installing xojo…

With the x86 platform, it’s a walk in the park. Problems only crop up on the x86_64 platforms.

Apparently, he has installed the 32 bit version. It should be that easy.

Hi All… Thanks for response…
@Tim Jones ,

After extracting the xojo , I have the 3 folder like DEBIAN , opt and usr

In opt folder i have the below sub folders
Xojo —>Xojo2015r2.3

xojo2015r2.3 contains the below folders

Documentation , Example projects ,Extras , Plugins , Project Templates , Read Mes , Resources , Scripts , Xojo lIbs and xojo.xpm icon and xojo icon

I have double clicked the xojo icon, But its not opening.

System was not provide any response.

Adding to this ,

I have listed the system specification at below

ews-gombak@ewsgombak:~$ uname -m
x86_64

ews-gombak@ewsgombak:/var/www$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS
Release: 14.04
Codename: trusty

I have using the below desktop

MATE Desktop Environment 1.8.2

[quote=207474:@Manikandan Karuppaiah]ews-gombak@ewsgombak:~$ uname -m
x86_64[/quote]
That makes a very big difference - your Linux system is 64bit, not 32bit. You must install a huge collection of 32bit compatibility library to get the current version of the IDE to run.

My recommendation would be to replace your Ubuntu system with a 32bit Mint distribution for immediate success with no further modifications.

You can grab the proper ISO from this link:
http://mirrors.kernel.org/linuxmint/stable/17.2/

Or, more specifically, the 32bit ISO is here:
http://mirrors.kernel.org/linuxmint/stable/17.2/linuxmint-17.2-mate-32bit.iso

Also, for now, we recommend that you wait for another day or two until 2015r2.4 is released because of a potential issue with the version of the ICU libraries required.

I can’t install Xojo on ubuntu 20.04.

I don’t undestand how to

as i am a newbe in Linux it’s very difficult by comparison to Mac Os

[quote=487066:@Didier Cugy]I can’t install Xojo on ubuntu 20.04.

I don’t undestand how to

as i am a newbe in Linux it’s very difficult by comparison to Mac Os[/quote]

You must realize that changing platforms at the developer level is never easy if your are not familiar with the platforms as systems. You really should learn more about your Linux system as a daily workstation before you try to adopt to it as a development platform.

Having said that, I would recommend that you try a different Distribution. Ubuntu 2020.04 is a new skin on their old wine and they very throughly changed the way things work. Linux Mint is very good, is based on Ubuntu’s packages, and the installation of Xojo is very straight forward. After you install Linux Mint, simply follow these steps:

Download the .TGZ version of the Xojo package
Open a Terminal
Execute the following commands:

sudo -s cd /opt mkdir xojo cd xojo tar -zxvf ~/Downloads/Xojo*.tgz exit
This will leave you in the Terminal, but now as your normal user instead of root.
The next step is to launch Xojo for the first time. In that same terminal execute:

/opt/xojo/xojo2019r3.1/Xojo
If there are errors, please report them and we’ll be able to provide any next steps.

Tim J,
I tried installing Xojo2016 Release 4.1 from downloaded tgz onto an Ubuntu 18.04 platform per your suggestion. When I executed
/opt/xojo/xojo2019r3.1/Xojo, I got following error:

Failed to find/load Framework library
libgtk-x11-2.0.so.o: cannot open shared object file:…

Any suggestions for resolving this?

Thanks

You can’t go back that far. I believe that 17r3 is the oldest Xojo that you can install on New Linux platforms. That error is because the old Xojo used GTK2.