Editing (augmenting) info.plist

1. ‹ Older
  2. 4 years ago

Norman P

29 Jul 2015 Xojo Inc, Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Seeking work. npalardy@great-w...

post build using defaults write would be the way I'd try

3. Jason K

29 Jul 2015 Pre-Release Testers
    Edited 4 years ago

I tried the following before with no success:

Dim App As String = CurrentBuildLocation + "/""" + CurrentBuildAppName
      Call DoShellCommand("/usr/bin/defaults write " + App + "/Info UIRequiredDeviceCapabilities -array gamekit armv7")

Maybe there was a problem with my post build script? I'll be honest that my knowledge of defaults is very limited so that could be the problem.

4. Norman P

29 Jul 2015 Xojo Inc, Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Seeking work. npalardy@great-w...

Seems about right
    The only thing I can think of that might affect this is the "domain" argument may need to actually be the full path to the plist including the plist extension

5. Jason K

Just tried that and unfortunately there was no change.

6. Norman P

try the command manually after you do a build in terminal to get the right command & syntax
    once you have that the shell will be darned close to the same

7. Jason K

I've been trying a variety of combinations and google searches for 45 minutes now haven't been able to make any progress. I guess I'll have to wait for someone who is more knowledgeable about using defaults to help me fix this.

8. Norman P

What version of OS X are you on ?
    That may be relevant

9. Greg O

29 Jul 2015 Xojo Inc
    Edited 4 years ago

Defaults Write only works for plists in the preferences directory now. You've got to use plist buddy to modify a plist in a particular location.

10. Greg O

29 Jul 2015 Xojo Inc

From the Defaults man page:

WARNING: The defaults command will be changed in an upcoming
    major release to only operate on preferences domains. General
    plist manipulation utilities will be folded into a different
    command-line program.

11. Norman P

There IS an alternative tool apple ships called PlistBuddy which might work better
    The reason I say this is defaults has this small note
    WARNING: The defaults command will be changed in an upcoming
    major release to only operate on preferences domains. General
    plist manipulation utilities will be folded into a different
    command-line program.

so its possible that you ARE writing to a plist but its one IN your preferences dir and NOT the one you think your writing to

12. Greg O

29 Jul 2015 Xojo Inc

Keep in mind that PlistBuddy is not in the default path. On my machine it's at:

/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy
  13. Jason K

OSX 10.10.4 so I think you are correct that it won't work. I'll look into PlistBuddy, thanks for the tip @Greg OLone and @Norman P!

14. Norman P

Edited 4 years ago

its in /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy

and it has a simpler command line interface

something like

/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Add :UIRequiredDeviceCapabilities: String gamekit" "..... FULL PATH TO YOUR PLIST HERE"

15. Jason K

Yeah I came up with the same thing you did but it doesn't seem to work in a build script, only in terminal. Time to do some more digging.

16. Jason K

Ok, for anyone else who may need this, the following works properly:

Dim App As String = CurrentBuildLocation + "/" + CurrentBuildAppName  
    call DoShellCommand("/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c ""Add :UIRequiredDeviceCapabilities:0 string gamekit"" " + App + "/Info.plist" )
  17. Jason K

Thank you both for your help.

18. Greg O

30 Jul 2015 Xojo Inc

@Jason K Ok, for anyone else who may need this, the following works properly:
    Dim App As String = CurrentBuildLocation + "/" + CurrentBuildAppName call DoShellCommand("/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c ""Add :UIRequiredDeviceCapabilities:0 string gamekit"" " + App + "/Info.plist" )

Shouldn't that be App + "/Contents/Info.plist" ?

19. Jason K

30 Jul 2015 Pre-Release Testers

@Greg OLone Shouldn't that be App + "/Contents/Info.plist" ?

For OSX yes. But iOS doesn't have a contents folder inside of the bundle to organize everything so it's not needed here.

20. 3 years ago

Michel B

15 Oct 2016 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro RubberViews.com
    Edited 3 years ago

@Jason K Ok, for anyone else who may need this, the following works properly:
    Dim App As String = CurrentBuildLocation + "/" + CurrentBuildAppName call DoShellCommand("/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c ""Add :UIRequiredDeviceCapabilities:0 string gamekit"" " + App + "/Info.plist" )

Well, it appears it no longer works :(

I created a script with exactly the above, placed it after the build, info.plist is not modified.

For the time being, I have extracted info.plist from a debug build, and from a build, and will use a copyfile to place the modified versions in the bundle.

21. 8 months ago

I was using the information in this thread to try to make my own mods to my app's plist file, and discovered a couple of gotchas along the way which may possibly be of interest to others following in the same footsteps:

(1) My app’s name had spaces in it, and looking at the Xojo build step command, whilst CurrentBuildLocation produces an escaped path, it looks as though CurrentBuildAppName is not escaped. So I had to do it myself, with the crude but seems to work addition of

CurrentBuildAppName.ReplaceAll( " ", "\ " )

(2) As pointed out above, if using this on OSX, don't forget to add the Contents folder to your path.

(3) I had to add in the ".app" extension to the path

Putting these together with the example GameKit command above, I found this worked for me (on OSX):

Dim App As String = CurrentBuildLocation + "/" + CurrentBuildAppName.ReplaceAll( " ", "\ " )

call DoShellCommand("/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c ""Add :UIRequiredDeviceCapabilities:0 string gamekit"" " + App + ".app/Contents/Info.plist" )

or Sign Up to reply!