Best Linux distro for xojo

Hi
What is the best Linux distro tu run xojo that works 100% good

i like to start move out of windows 8, Windows 10 …

My favourite is Mint 17 but only 32 bit … for now

Sorry to tell you, but no Linux version (i tried, s.b.) works 100% with Xojo, but for me best version (so far) has been the 32bit version of Linux Mint XFCE-flavour. It’s pretty fast, with 32bit libs you will not experience all those 64bit issues (hint hint @xojo devs) and for the most issues with other stuff there’s a workaround or it’s not that important (for me).

Versions/flavours it tried Xojo with:
Ubuntu up to version 12.04

• 32bit version worked out of the box
  • 64bit worked with 32bit libs added
    — IDE slow, but built console applications worked best, GUI applications had their flaws

Ubuntu versions 12.10 to 15.04

• 32bit i only tested in virtualbox, but with some backports added all of my programs ran
  • 64bit same issues as with older versions (s.a.), problems with libs kept me from using these versions,
    I had no time to check if there’d have been workarounds
    — IDE slower, cause of virtual machine tho, console applications worked, GUI applications still … you know

After using Ubuntu up to version 12.04 as my main desktop linux i switched to Linux Mint, first in virtualbox only, later on almost all my computers (except for 2 older machines with point of sale stuff still using Ubuntu 32bit). Now these computers running Linux Mint 17.2 XFCE, tho 64bit.

Linux Mint 15 - 17.2 Cinnamon, Mate, LXDE
— IDE a bit faster than with Ubuntu, even if tested in virtualbox (!), but still some issues (menu access, right click)
no matter if 32bit or 64bit used

Finally I tested the XFCE flavour and was astonished how fast Xojo worked. No right click waiting for context menu to appear, no accidental double clicking (dig into) in navigation list. I started with Linux Mint Cinnamon on my main computer, added the XFCE package and tested Xojo with both flavours. I never switched back to Cinnamon for coding or debugging since, always used XFCE. Even if there’s still issues as Linux never got THAT much love in past from Xojo devs, it’s useable and the outcome is good. For sure my efficiency will rocket with next versions of Xojo (2015r3 …) with all the shiny stuff we hope for (LLVM, 64bit, Raspberry Pi support, LiLo = linux love :wink: asf.)

So, short answer here is … rolldrums … Linux Mint 32bit XFCE … for now … as famous people mentioned before :wink:

ok thanks

It is a PITA to setup 32 bit development sometimes, but I really like Oracles Unbreakable Linux. Free of course. SuSE is generally my “go to” Linux disto, and I tend to give people who are unfamiliar with Linux a copy of Ubuntu. :slight_smile:

-Paul

Hi Paul,

Care to expand a bit for suse ?

Hello,

using Fedora 21 Mate-Desktop (in 32Bit for Easy Install & Use). Really Fast IDE Response; Up2Date Software; and best my favorite Desktop.

Xojo on Linux Blog-Post found this back in the Day. not the most Up2Date but shows some intresting Infos / Metrics

an like i said, Fedora 21 Mate is just as speedy as Fedora 20 Mate (both as pure 32-Bit Linuxes)

You may also check out Zorin. Wine is distributed with Zorin which for me is a good approach.

[quote=200769:@Emile Schwarz]Hi Paul,

Care to expand a bit for suse ?[/quote]

Like everything else, it depends upon what you are doing. I use SuSe Enterprise on about 95% of the servers, from an IBM z114 Mainframe, to an LPAR on an “i” Blade (as/400), to VMs on Intel. Very very stable running databases, web, and other tasks. (Would you believe running multi million line HLASM applications suites and an imaging system on the zSeries?)

It takes the least time to manage mostly because of YaST, which has modules written to manage just about everything. Software install, to HTTP, to Samba, etc. Graphical or TUI versions, headless works just fine. Very very solid and dependable. Running from 9.2 up to 12.x.x.

The desktop version is very solid and complete too, and also is easily managed. It’s above the level of "I can live with this… :)) Referring to the Enterprise versions.

Where it less suitable is on embedded systems, where I usually favor Debian actually. Some special purpose systems, like Oracle Unbreakable Linux offer 24x7 operation even when doing things like patching the Kernel. Very nice.

And honestly, for desktop use, Ubuntu is better, I think.

But then for desktop use, either MacOS or Windows is far better, again in my opinion of course. YMMV.

But, Suse is and remains my workhorse go-to Linux distro. :wink:

-Paul

Thanks Paul.

There aren’t any ‘best’ distros that will run Xojo like it does on Mac/Win. I tried countless with mediocre performance. Finally I had to revert to work on Win and build for Mac/Linux.

Mint or Centos with a UI - those are my “preferred” distros to work on when I do

Sure you can, but the GUI is sluggish compared to WIN/Mac.

Compared to Windows in a VM (I have Win 7,8, 8.1 and 10 in VM’s on the same underlying machine) the IDE on those Linux distros run at least as well as the Windows versions

All my VM’s have 2 CPU’s and 4Gb RAM + 1Gb VRAM dedicated
And everything is running on an SSD so performance is very workable esp when I need to work on the IDE on OS X Windows & linux at the same time to compare results

I run my VMs the same way as Norman with great success. I have 13 Linux distro versions run as VMs for testing. For live real work (my apps need physical device access that a VM doesn’t provide - except EXS Server), I use Mint 18, Red Hat EL, and Centos 7.2. In the real machines, I have 16GB and either Nvidia GTX1050 or GTX1060 GPUs.

Tim, if you need physical access to devices in VMs perhaps you want to try Proxmox that provides that (in KVM VMs)

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Pci_passthrough

[quote=321428:@JosMaraTerryJimnez]Tim, if you need physical access to devices in VMs perhaps you want to try Proxmox that provides that (in KVM VMs)

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Pci_passthrough[/quote]
Thanks, I’ll give that a look.

Just today i did a little test of the Manjaro 17.0 Linux (based on the latest Arch Linux), this worked realy well and Xojo IDE and the compiled programs performed much better even than with Mint. The IDE was even faster under Manjaro than under Windows 10 on the same machine. Manjaro was running in a Virtualbox on this Windows pc.

If you want to try, after the install of Manjaro run this command in a shell: sudo pacman -S lib32-gtk2

The install was a straight forward process. I gave the VM 4 cores and 4GB ram, just as with Mint. The looks of Mint however are a bit nicer IMO.

@Andre Kuiper - You can install Cinnamon on Manjaro to get that same look on the desktop.

@Tim Jones - I installed the KDE-version. I have never installed another desktop on a Linux distro. Do you have a command to install Cinnamon on Manjaro? I realy like Cinnamon on Mint.
TIA,
Andre