Which database should I use?

1. ‹ Older
  2. 4 years ago

Craig B

4 Jun 2015 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Dallas, TX

Hi Kayla,

Yes, @Lynn F and @LouisDesjardins are correct. If you are going to do any database work you must learn SQL. When you get stuck there are a LOT of very SQL-literate folks here who can help you.

This website is good for basic SQL: http://www.w3schools.com/sql/

Once you figure out which way is up you will want to begin exploring proper database design. There are some good books that will help you learn that as well.
    A good book that hits the middle ground between practical and theoretical is: "Beginning Relational Data Modeling"
    If you have a Safari subscription you should be able to look through it for free.
    You can also check out this website. It has 1,300 sample designs that will at least point you in the right direction.
    http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_models/

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask for help.

3. Also I am not knocking Postgresql but Firebird is a great rdbms and I don't like to see it being criticised unfairly.
    In my view it is the perfect hybrid.
    It can work in embedded mode just like Sqlite but with far superior support for official SQL standards, e.g right join.
    It can function as a server database just like Postgresql.
    So if you want to provide a solution that may start out as single user but later scale it is ideal.
    The alternative is to use sqlite for embedded and later port to postgresql and there are always issues with this.
    If you have a product that in normal use requires a shared database but for which you' like to be able to provide
    a single user trial version firebird is what you want. Users run the installer and it works.
    In summary if you want to learn a single rdbms that can be used in any situation firebird is without an equal.
    And of course, like postgresql, it is completley free and open source.

4. Eugene D

4 Jun 2015 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Canada scispec.ca
    Edited 4 years ago

There is also a book available for programming SQLite with Xojo

SQLite with Xojo

There are also other books and articles at Great-White-Software.com that can help. :)

5. Norman P

4 Jun 2015 Xojo Inc North of 50

@Jack K Firebird community is not as big as postgresql.
    Is the firebird community too small to trust firebird?
    That is what I mean about validity

Its just not as widely supported by cloud providers (who seem to favor mySQL despite the licensing mess mySQL & maria place users in)
    I've used it but given a choice I'd pick PostgreSQL over Firebird
    Now should some enterprising soul take Firebird and do what the EnterpriseDB folks have done with PostgreSQL that could certainly change minds

6. @Jack K It requires practically zero admin which is not true of postgresql..

From my experience I think Firebird is as close to a zero-admin RDMS as it's possible to get.

@Jack K It can work in embedded mode just like Sqlite but with far superior support for official SQL standards, e.g right join. It can function as a server database just like Postgresql. So if you want to provide a solution that may start out as single user but later scale it is ideal.

Yes, and you can also choose between a multi-threaded or multi-process server, the former being faster the latter being more robust. When Firebird 3 arrives the embedded server will be unified with the client library so I imagine going from single user to client/server could be as easy as changing the connection string.

@LouisDesjardins I once looked at Firebird, and abandoned the option because the product was near dead. It would now seem to be resurrected.

For a long time the Firebird Foundation didn't do themselves any favours with their fusty old website. That's now, thankfully, had a refresh. I don't think the project itself was ever near death.

@Paul R Last point, neither Oracle or SQL server run on MacOS. Oracle runs great on Windows or Linux, and SQL Server runs only under Windows. That tends to mean you need to run the database server on a virtual machine dedicated to the task, or on a spare machine if you happen to have one

Firebird runs on lots of platforms:
    OS: Windows, Linux, MacOS, FreeBSD, HP-UX, AIX, Solaris and more...
    Hardware: x86, x64, ARM, PowerPC, Sparc and more...

e.g. Want Firebird on your Raspberry Pi (ARM+Linux)?

7. Jean-Yves P

5 Jun 2015 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (France, Besançon)

how do you connect to a firebird database using xojo ?

8. Dirk C

5 Jun 2015 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Belgium, Zedelgem

@jean-yvespochez how do you connect to a firebird database using xojo ?

I think through ODBC.

9. Jean-Yves P

@Dirk C I think through ODBC.

so no preparesqlstatements and may be have to buy a plugin to use it on a mac ?
    that's a serious thing to consider compared to postgresql ...

10. Years ago I started to write a RealBasic wrapper for Firebird's C API. I only really abandoned it because I had to use a third-party reporting tool for my project which meant I had to install the ODBC driver and set up a DSN anyway. Iirc RB didn't offer structures at the time either so I had to mess about with memory blocks and offsets.

Maybe when we have LLVM + Firebird 3 I'll ressurect it and polish it up.

11. Paul L

5 Jun 2015 Xojo Inc http://docs.xojo.com

@jean-yvespochez how do you connect to a firebird database using xojo ?

* Using Firebird with Xojo blog post
    * Using ODBC webinar

12. Jean-Yves P

Edited 4 years ago

Note, there are only ODBC drivers available for Windows and Linux.

so firebird is definitely not for a mac ... at least xojo on a mac.

13. Simon B

5 Jun 2015 Europe (Wiltshire, UK)

@jean-yvespochez so firebird is definitely not for a mac ... at least xojo on a mac.

Not unless you use the SQLPlugin from MBS.

14. Louis D

5 Jun 2015 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Montreal, QC, Canada

For a long time the Firebird Foundation didn't do themselves any favours with their fusty old website. That's now, thankfully, had a refresh. I don't think the project itself was ever near death.

That must be why in the early 2000's I misinterpreted the (then) new born product for a moribond legacy one. I stand corrected.

15. Paul L

5 Jun 2015 Xojo Inc http://docs.xojo.com

@jean-yvespochez so firebird is definitely not for a mac ... at least xojo on a mac.

Not easily. I've not tried it, but this post talks about an ODBC Firebird driver for OS X .

16. @jean-yvespochez so no preparesqlstatements and may be have to buy a plugin to use it on a mac ?
    that's a serious thing to consider compared to postgresql ...

But again this is unfair on Firebird. Firebird works fine on a Mac. Xojo supports postgresql but does not support firebird.
    What can firebird do about that?

17. Tim H

5 Jun 2015 Pre-Release Testers Portland, OR USA

It doesn't matter how good Firebird is if your xojo app can't use it. This is not a discussion of what's the best db, it's what's the best db to use with xojo.

18. Edited 4 years ago

@Tim H It doesn't matter how good Firebird is if your xojo app can't use it. This is not a discussion of what's the best db, it's what's the best db to use with xojo.

But you can use firebird with xojo, I've done it, on windows. You can also use it on linux. In both cases you don't need any kind of database licence from xojo.
    And on mac you can use it if you have Christian's plugins.

19. Firebird actually has a wire protocol which means you can communicate with the server directly using a TCP socket without having any middleware at all. Unfortunately the wire protocol is not well documented so to figure it requires looking at the source code :(

There are client libraries available for Python , NodeJS and Go that use the wire protocol.

20. Bob K

6 Jun 2015 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Kansas City

And this discussion is way beyond what the OP was asking for.

21. 2 weeks ago

Richard D

Nov 29 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (UK, London)

@Jack K It can work in embedded mode just like Sqlite but with far superior support for official SQL standards, e.g right join.

does not include embedded version for mac though

or Sign Up to reply!