iOS App Certificate - Non-Wildcard App ID

When I first started work on my Xojo iOS app I was unable to get an app-specific certificate to work with Xojo. I read on this forum that others had had success with using a Wildcard ID and I noticed that this was recommended in Xojo’s docs so I used that and all was well.

Until now.

The next stage of my app involves implementing Apple Push Notifications, and that requires an app-specific App ID / certificate be created in the iOS Dev Centre. Before I go back down that incredibly frustrating route I just wanted to double-check…has anybody actually got an app-specific/non-widlcard App ID working with Xojo???

[quote=189645:@Jason Tait]When I first started work on my Xojo iOS app I was unable to get an app-specific certificate to work with Xojo. I read on this forum that others had had success with using a Wildcard ID and I noticed that this was recommended in Xojo’s docs so I used that and all was well.

Until now.

The next stage of my app involves implementing Apple Push Notifications, and that requires an app-specific App ID / certificate be created in the iOS Dev Centre. Before I go back down that incredibly frustrating route I just wanted to double-check…has anybody actually got an app-specific/non-widlcard App ID working with Xojo???[/quote]

In Mac OS X it works nicely. Now the mysteries of iOS abound… I never succeeded using an explicit ID.

OK so that’s zero success from two attempts at an app-specific ID. Has anybody managed to get one working with Xojo?

We used an app specific ID for both of the XDC iOS apps. What troubles are you running into?

I had the opposite problem… I couldn’t get a wildcard to work so I created an ‘apptest’ ID for testing apps…

I followed Paul’s instructions http://developer.xojo.com/deployment but used an app name instead of *.

It was a while ago and I gave up and started using a wildcard ID so I can’t remember exactly but they were the typical certificate errors that people report when trying to build an app for the App Store.

From the replies it seems that it should work so I’ll suck it up and give it another try. :slight_smile:

I had an app-specific ID working for my first app. Then I read about using wildcard ID’s and switched to wildcard for any of my newer projects.

The problem is that, as Jason is finding out, certain things require an app-specific ID so it’s better to use an explicit ID from the start. Game Center, iCloud, in-app purchases, notifications etc, all require an explicit ID.

Strange this is : I only get it working with explicit ID. With wildcard IDs it does not work here. :slight_smile:
The only (big) drawback is that I have to make an ID for every iOS app I make.

So I’ve been able to create app-specific Development and Distribution profiles and I can successfully build both a device deployment and App Store build of my app just as I could before using the wildcard profiles.

However, in the Provisioning Profiles listed in the iOS Dev Centre, and in Xcode, I still have an “iOSTeam Provisioning Profile” showing as “Active (Managed by Xcode)”. I am concerned that my app might be still being built using this profile instead of the one I have created. Is it safe to delete this profile?

Actually when I refresh the profiles in Xcode it puts back the “IOSTeam Provisioning Profile” but it uses my app-specific AppID so I guess that’s OK.