Freemium will continue

As you know, we made an announcement this week that we were going to switch from the freemium model back to the 30-day trial model. This was based on our analysis of freemium user data. Some new information we discovered after the announcement led us to further analysis which revealed that the revenue difference between the two models is not as significant as we had originally thought. That’s just the way it goes sometimes.

Many of you have done a great job of articulating the benefits of that model. We love the freemium model too. It has many benefits that are not offset by an incremental difference in revenue. Therefore we have decided to continue with the freemium model for the foreseeable future. To those of you who joined in on the discussion about the merits of the two models, we appreciate your input.

Awesome news!!! I am so happy you will maintain freemium for Xojo!

+1

Thank you for keeping the freemium model. This way it is much easier to convince peer developers to try Xojo.

I’m actually relieved by this. Not that I care about freemium vs trial, but that it didn’t cause a significant loss of revenue.

This proves that Xojo listens to the community. Excellent news.

This, I was not expecting.

Respect.

Great News!

But really, was it necessary to delete the other thread? Good ideas were posted there so I do not understand that at all:

https://forum.xojo.com/22575-why-freemium-mode-did-not-work-imho

P.S. … and remove the blog posting too?

[quote=189289:@Markus Winter]But really, was it necessary to delete the other thread? Good ideas were posted there so I do not understand that at all:

https://forum.xojo.com/22575-why-freemium-mode-did-not-work-imho

P.S. … and remove the blog posting too?[/quote]
While it’s not confusing to those that read it from the beginning, it would be confusing to people that came across it later. We’d rather not create more confusion. In fact, we will be deleting this message as well in a few days.

Nothing to see here. Move along… :slight_smile:

You guys should figure out a way to get open source guys using Xojo. That’s a massive untapped market right there.

Open Source Xojo? Why? I prefer the fremium model. I do know tons of abandoned Open Source projects and I do like how the Xojo is handling it product, adding tons of stuff not depending on volunteers.

No… he means more open source projects using Xojo, not open source the product itself.

Oh! Thanks for your advice @Thom McGrath. Language barrier again!! I misunderstood @Neil McAliece post. Sorry!

Well, in any case it would be my position for the open source Xojo position :wink:

Really appreciate your post, my English is limited.

[quote=189300:@Amando Blasco]Oh! Thanks for your advice @Thom McGrath. Language barrier again!! I misunderstood @Neil McAliece post. Sorry!

Well, in any case it would be my position for the open source Xojo position :wink:

Really appreciate your post, my English is limited.[/quote]
No problem.

[quote=189291:@Geoff Perlman]While it’s not confusing to those that read it from the beginning, it would be confusing to people that came across it later. We’d rather not create more confusion. In fact, we will be deleting this message as well in a few days.

Nothing to see here. Move along… :)[/quote]

This message will self destruct in three, two, …

This is all good news!

[quote=189291:@Geoff Perlman]While it’s not confusing to those that read it from the beginning, it would be confusing to people that came across it later. We’d rather not create more confusion. In fact, we will be deleting this message as well in a few days.

Nothing to see here. Move along… :)[/quote]

It will be just like the past never happened. While I understand the marketing need, I hate attempts to manipulate history by censorship. Jesus may save, but Google caches.

Whatever the model, from my point few I want Xojo to get enough new paying licenses so that they can significantly improve and grow he product WITHOUT raising prices any more…

While it’s not the case for those who make a living with it, where we currently are particularly, with full price renewals, is pushing things for those who don’t make money with Xojo.

• Karen

The open source movement seldom uses anything but open source tools. As a commercial product, Xojo would not fit in the philosophy. Then, the notion of market for free products usually Linux is not exactly the same as what it is for Mac OS X and Windows development tools. For instance : The three open source markets

The number of users of open source development tools is probably massive indeed, but I would not refer to that as a market.

It is our collective interest that Xojo continues to follow technical evolution and make enough money to support the team of engineers and the personnel needed for their great customer support…

Back in 2002 when I bought the Standard Edition, it was $149.95 and gas was $1.11 a gallon. Today the Desktop Edition is $299.95 and gasoline is $2.75. Seems Xojo is on par with inflation. And yet, I try to compare apples to apples ; at $99.95 the single desktop is rather affordable.