Valentina 5.8.5 Released; Valentina 6 Preview

Paradigma has a lot of news and instead of tossing it out all over the place, Ill summarize here:

• Valentina Studio, Valentina Server & Valentina ADKs (Database, Reports) 5.8.5 is now available for download. No tech changes from 5.8 (but allows for Universal below). Read more for 5.8, the patched version…
  • Valentina 6 Preview / Betas are now available. Read more…
  • Valentina Studio Pro Universal (one license runs on Windows, Mac, Linux) now available; you can new the “renew” to upgrade from your single OS version. Read more
  • Valentina Studio Pro (both individual and universal licenses) now have volume pricing options. Read more…

If you got Valentina DB ADK for Xojo, Valentina Studio Pro and Valentina Server through the Omegabundle for Xojo 2014, you got updates! We will also ship the final version of 6 well before your update period expires, too.

how to get the updates for those with omega bundle?

What’s new for Valentina 6? That you replace one UI framework for another is nice. Hopefully, the new one looks better. But what else is coming?

What is “forward engineering”?

I really want to like Valentina Studio, but there’s an old open bug that doesn’t let you easily browse ODBC table data.

For me, that makes Studio next to useless. I was hoping it had been fixed in this release, but no.

[quote=186806:@Beatrix Willius]What’s new for Valentina 6? That you replace one UI framework for another is nice. Hopefully, the new one looks better. But what else is coming?

What is “forward engineering”?[/quote]

You can use the diagraming to visualize your database structure, the make changes there visually to the diagram. Valentina is then able to detect the difference between the diagram and your database structure and update it accordingly by some means. I am unsure if it generates SQL or updates directly. I’d like to test forward engineering, but you have to purchase to do that.

[quote=186748:@Lynn Fredricks]- Valentina 6 Preview / Betas are now available. Read more…
[/quote]

When I click on this link, it then has a link to http://www.valentina-db.com/download/beta/6.0b2/ to download the beta 6 but it results in a 404.

@Jeremy: thanks for the info. Not very interesting for me.

Regarding the download: see here http://www.valentina-db.com/other-downloads/download-valentina-beta-releases . It’s beta 6 and not beta 2.

The way serialization works is that your codes automatically work with all versions that come out within 12 months after your purchase. Just download the new version and initialize and it works.

There is a lot more to it than just pretty new icons - though there’s some pretty and nice / useful Mac stuff coming if you are on the Mac - “Retina, full screen, trackpad and other Cocoa features” as Ruslan dropped into a side post.

We are posting a series of articles about what’s coming in 6. There is a lot more to it than just a pretty face.

For example, REST is being implemented in all versions of Valentina Server, and that will work with either the native Valentina DB engine or the SQLite engine.

Hi Everybody,

I have miss questions here, sorry. We have start WIKI6, and you can check right now release notes of prepared v6.0 http://goo.gl/pWzBU1

Beatrix, for your interest can be Valentina engine itself as I understand.
In LOCAL engine

• Money type was added
  • UPSERT implemented,
  • some improve in SQL, e.g. GROUP BY expr

Most work was made in VSERVER:

• REST API – you can access now VServer from everywhere. Android, iOS, Win Phone, Python, …
  • Async events, Channels (like in Postgre)
  • ACL
  • SQLite Server

[quote=186848:@Tanner Lee]I really want to like Valentina Studio, but there’s an old open bug that doesn’t let you easily browse ODBC table data.

For me, that makes Studio next to useless. I was hoping it had been fixed in this release, but no.[/quote]

This bug dated at 2015-01. Not so old.

Well, you can set more priority to this bug, right now it is NORMAL.
You can set for example block, and provide some description why it is so important for you.

It sounds like you would like to use ODBC Import quite often and periodically?
May be we can together discuss kinds of automation for such tasks.

Guys please talk to us :slight_smile: The more you talk about something the more we pay attention to that area.

Our Valentina Studio team drop all efforts to 6.0 release, we avoid to fix bugs in 5.8, only if you say it is very important.

Today we going produce 6.0b10 btw …

More About this issue. I have take a look again. May be you can provde more details?
Category is – Import - from ODBC Datasource.
But in description you talk about: “When connected to an ODBC source, double-clicking a table”, so it seems you mean Schema Editor?

Also you can specify what exactly ODBC driver you are using, and to which DB you connecting. Very often ODBC bug is related to specific DB …

@Ruslan Zasukhin

I had hoped to use Studio to create/maintain DB’s on SQL Server 2005/2008. Using OSX 10.95 with ActualTech ODBC driver. Unfortunately the ODBC databses fails to show any contents whatsoever in Studio.

Here’s a screenshot of a table opened from MySQL on my dev box:

Here’s a screenshot of the same view for an SQL Server 2005 ODBC database hosted on my W7 VM, opened using the exact same steps:

It’s a pretty startling difference. A pretty big bug to get past testing.

Anyway, it’s your choice to fix it or not. Studio is unusable for me currently, so I’ll continue to use SMSS.

PS. I’m posting this here only so other Xojo users can be aware of this (IMHO significant) issue. I"m not trying to turn this into a Studio support thread. Please reply privately if you’d like to discuss this further. (BTW, I did try adding comments to your issue tracker, but wasn’t allowed.)

Publicly, can you say whether this bug still exists in Studio v6?

Hi Tanner,

1. the most good news I can provide for you is – in Valentina Studio 6.0 we introducing NATIVE support to MS SQL. Main testing was made against actually versions of MS SQL. MS 2005-2008 yet have some minor issues in our beta.

You can find info about 6.0 beta testing on our forum:
http://valentina-db.com/en/discussions/categories/listings/beta-testing

For today latest is 6.0b13.

And yes, this native plugin for MS SQL works on 3 OS, including Mac and Linux.

1. ODBC is not so universal as many hope. Sometimes we get report that this or that DB or its version cause troubles, Usually we found that its driver have something special, and we need do special branch of code for that DB.

Native MSSQL will greatly enhance the Studio product. Good job!