ElastiControls v1.9 Update: Replacement for Elastic Windows

ElastiControls v1.9 Update

Platforms: Windows/Mac/Linux/*Web
**ElastiControls was developed on Windows 8.1 (Tested in Windows 10), Mac OSX 10.10.2, and Ubuntu Linux to ensure cross-platform compatibility.
**Release of the Web Edition ElastiControls classes is set for the first week of May and is included with the desktop license.

Try-Before-You-Decide-To-Buy Demo: http://www.xojodevspot.com/demos/ElastiControls-Demo.zip

You are more than welcome to keep and use the classes in any and all projects from within the Xojo IDE itself. A license is only required to build the classes into stand-alone applications.

From 1.7 to 1.9: Some optimizations have been made to reduce code size by half. What was once handled by almost 400 lines of code is now achieved in just under 90; by allowing the Xojo Framework to do all our control handling for us. This not only fixes any previous issues with older custom user controls’ TextSize/FontSize not resizing, but also allows full handling of OLE/OCX/COM/API GUI objects (was not supported by the original Elastic Windows). One of the EyeCandy Controls (PopupMenu) has been included in the updated demo to demonstrate that custom controls are manipulated seamlessly, as well as the native and Xojo ones.

Visit Xojo Developer’s Spot for complete details or to purchase a license to use the classes in stand-alone applications - http://www.xojodevspot.com

What is ElastiControls?
ElastiControls was developed as part of the original XTeTiC package and allows controls to automatically resize in proportion to the window on which they reside. The classes were developed in response to Pariahware no longer maintaining the “Elastic Windows” classes. ElastiControls supports ALL native and custom controls and ContainerControls with or without child controls. At a fraction the price of the original Elastic Windows classes, ElastiControls has been separated from the XTeTiC package to provide developers a cheap, just-as-efficient, replacement to the no-longer-supported Elastic Windows classes.

Why Use ElastiControls?
There are a number of reasons why ElastiControls should be used:

• Making your application more user-friendly for the visually impaired, or for those whose eyesight is weakening with age.
  • Full-screen kiosk applications.
  • Your window has been designed with a certain resolution in mind, yet should maintain its look and feel at any resolution.
  • Avoid having to manually adjust controls and text size.

How Does ElastiControls Work?
Using ElastiControls is literally a 3-step, one-line of code setup process, that can take under a minute to integrate into any project!
Drop an instance of ElastiControls on a window or within a ContainerControl, initialize the class in the window/ContainerControl’s Open event, and invoke the Resize() method in the window/ContainerControl’s Resizing/Resized event. Nothing more is needed!

Licensing:
***ElastiControls for Web Edition, will be included with this license, as an update, when the classes are stable (First week of May).
The primary single developer license entitles one developer the full-source (un-encrypted) of the ElastiControls classes. The classes can be used in an unlimited number of applications by the license holder, royalty free.

A single developer standard life-time license is $50.00.
Available in our Store at: http://xojodevspot.com/applications/easyshop/easyshop.php?prod.14

Other licenses available upon request:
***Email mcombatti@xojostudio.org to obtain the following licenses not offered within the XDS store.

Team/Site License - $150.00USD - Permits a team (2+) of developers access to the full-source (un-encrypted) of the ElastiControls Classes. The classes can be used in an unlimited number of applications by the team, royalty free.

Academic/Hobby/FREEWARE License - $25.00USD - Permits a single developer access to the full-source (un-encrypted) of the ElastiControls Classes. The classes can be used in an unlimited number of applications by license holder. The license holder MAY NOT use the ElastiControls Classes in software which is meant to be sold. Although, the license holder MAY release compiled FREEWARE to the general public that uses the ElastiControls classes.

Non-Profit Organization 501(c) License - $25.00USD - Permits all developers within a non-profit organization access to the full-source (un-encrypted) of the ElastiControls Classes. The classes can be used in an unlimited number of applications by the developers, within the non-profit organization, royalty free. The NPO is permitted to freely give or sell applications which use the ElastiControls classes. **NPO status will be verified.

Should you encounter a bug, or need something included, help is only a message away. All licenses include lifetime updates. Code is instantly sent to your email via PayPal.

*** WebElastiControls Beta Preview v1.3 is available in a separate thread.

https://forum.xojo.com/21762-webelasticontrols-v1-3-beta-preview

For the summer pre-season, ElastiControls Desktop and Web Edition Single User License is only $25.00 USD!

Many more awesome controls, code, and discounts coming the Xojo Developer’s Spot way!

Hi Matthew, this is an ideal control for different screen sizes, I wonder that I was not aware of this before. I’ve downloaded it this morning and will conduct several tests and found this issue on my Retina Display:

The fonts are scaling out of the dimensions of their controls. Is there a possibility to prevent this? Can’t tell if this is the same on HiDpi WIndows aswell. I am missing something? Is there a property or anything additionally to set?

[quote=181327:@Matthew Combatti]*** WebElastiControls Beta Preview v1.3 is available in a separate thread.

https://forum.xojo.com/21762-webelasticontrols-v1-3-beta-preview[/quote]
This is interesting. The demo project seems to work as it should. Have not tested it on Retina yet though.
I’m looking for something like this when developing for mobile and desktop.
Though the $150 might be a tad to much right now :confused:

[quote=181353:@Albin Kiland]This is interesting. The demo project seems to work as it should. Have not tested it on Retina yet though.
I’m looking for something like this when developing for mobile and desktop.
Though the $150 might be a tad to much right now :/[/quote]

Check your PM Albin. At Xojo Developer’s Spot, we aren’t in the business of making a profit, that’s the purpose of full-time jobs, general and business software, and contracted work.:slight_smile: All profits made at XDS allows myself and two other developers to keep the site going as well as make all the public and private controls, code, and classes requested by developers. Our library extends far beyond what is displayed in the store. We also offer the “suggest it” arena, where developers submit an idea of code they need, and once we create the desired control or classes, the ‘suggester’ gets them complimentary. All items which have appeared in the XDS store have come into existence in that fashion. By supplying quality work and maintaining fast, friendly, efficient relations with other developers, we are able to supply demand where it is needed not breaking a developer’s bank. We have no losses to worry about by next-to-almost giving code away for free. This works in our favor as we have built quite an alliance here within Xojo, as well as many other language communities of which we are adept. We are in the business of bringing developers together, “one hand washing the other,” so-to-speak. XTeTiC was in huge demand when it was first released, received an un-godly amount of interest from large companies here-in, and has helped make many pieces of software reach a pinnacle, that Xojo alone would have taken a developer years to code. It is still turning hard and has grown tremendouly behind closed doors. There are still many aspects like the ElastiControls, which have been developed for years, yet to be separated from the XTeTiC framework, and presented to the community. We have nothing really to lose, rather everything to gain. Xojo Developer’s Spot is a community, not a business. We hear developers when they speak, and do our greatest to fulfill their needs. We have no need to express our feelings about other products, our products and service can speak for themselves through the thousands of pieces of software which utilize them.

A community values opinions, honesty, and respect. A business values money, demand, and growth. When business loses the family-aspect, all the workers become drones, and “customer services” becomes a facade to present the illusion of ‘caring compassionate’ employees. Our philosophy has made Xojo Developer’s Spot the center of ridicule by some, but has also made XDS one of the largest communities for Xojo outside of Xojo itself, and gained the attention and respect of some of the most reputable individuals and organizing in the world.

By keeping Xojo developers happy, and meeting their needs, the Xojo, Inc. machine continues to feed and grow. A starving beast surely meets its end. Many developers believe quality over quantity is best. Yet, statistically the larger a group, the more quality which can arise. If I give you 5 apples to choose from, verses 1000 and say “pick out the ripe unblemished ones,” you’ll surely find more in the 1000 than the 5. While some would say, “yes, but one bad apple spoils the bunch,” they miss the fact that they have an obligation to tend to the apples. If you properly tend to your apples timely, they do not spoil before they are needed. These are philosophies I’ve seen again and again make other languages flourish beyond comparison, and philosophies I’ve adopted over the years and presented here within the Xojo confines, hoping many times, for many years now, to sink in. Although because they haven’t, I find all the reputable developers with truly amazing talent, that avoid the vulgarities they find with the Xojo community, venture to XDS for support and to meet their coding needs. The insults and vulgarities have subsided greatly since last fall within the community, and that is to be commended.

I’m glad you wrote Albin! Take care, and surely we’ll speak again soon.

[quote=181339:@Tomas Jakobs]Hi Matthew, this is an ideal control for different screen sizes, I wonder that I was not aware of this before. I’ve downloaded it this morning and will conduct several tests and found this issue on my Retina Display:

The fonts are scaling out of the dimensions of their controls. Is there a possibility to prevent this? Can’t tell if this is the same on HiDpi WIndows aswell. I am missing something? Is there a property or anything additionally to set?[/quote]

Hi Thomas,

Send me a PM and I’ll be glad to help you. Let me know what version of Mac osx you are also using as well as the resolution. There’s some stuff that cannot be seen implemented in the demo as the demo merely attempts to present the simplicity of integration. Any little minor tweaks are application specific (ie not sizing specific controls purposely, yet allow them to adjust left and top still, etc)