GPIO (not Rasp Pi)

Hi,

i need to find a way to read switches and switch outputs on and off.
does anyone know of way to use GPIO from Xojo?

i notice some of the motherboards we use have the header but i cant see how to interface to it.

make a wifi external module with esp8266 modules, and pilot them with tcpsockets from xojo
so it will not depend from the motherboard, but will be universal and work with any wifi computer.

thanks @jean-yves pochez

I will take a look, might be ok for other jobs - but i was hoping for something on-board as id like it to be very fast as its for timing a production line.

what do you mean with “fast” ? what is the minimum amount of time you have to deal with ?

Well, it’s usually about 1 per second but sometimes it can be more than one in a second, never more than 3 I would think. But then I have other processing and a gpio output to handle

well 1 event per second, or even 3 per second can easily be handled with any arduino or such device.
even a serial link @ 9600bps on any computer would do it.
I dont know what kind of processing you have to do between but for gpio handling, any $3 arduino with a serial link to the computer
will be fast enought. with the esp8266 you can do the same but with a wifi link.

ok, well maybe i should have a look at this esp8266 then!

do you have a link to a good site with some info on using these to do GPIO? i’ve looked on google but they seem to be able to do many things and i’m getting lost.

have you already used and do you know how to use an arduino ?

well, I’ve never used arduino, but I’ve programmed other micro controllers in the past.

then what you need I think :

• an esp8266 module, prefer the esp07 or esp12 model which have around 8 I/O (other have only 1-2-3 I/O)
  • nodemcu firmware , an alternative firmware to flash inside the module and program the module in LUA after that
  • lots of LUA examples on github
  • ESPlorer, the IDE to program the chip
    some projects use the esp8266 as a wifi module, and the main program is in an arduino so you can have more I/O if you want.

you can also get a small esp8266 dev board, so you can test it on a experimenting board
I bought these recently :
there is also this one more integrated : , in which the lua firmware seems to be already implemented.
good luck !