Main advantage of using Console apps

What’s the reason to buy Console app license?
It’s very attractive to me as I need to have slave collectors getting remote server data and pass it to main application.

One thing I’m confused is that I can build collector apps by using a normal Desktop application and through IPCSockets class.

Can anyone let me know what is the main advantage of using Console apps?
No Window screen?

they are perfect for writing background faceless helper applications
ones that a user is not expected to interact with

Faceless.

That is the thing I guess.
Thank you.

Technically, you could write a desktop app without a window.

Thank you for the comment.
Can you let me know how to disable a windows on desktop app, just in case?

[quote=177521:@changwon lee]Thank you for the comment.
Can you let me know how to disable a windows on desktop app, just in case?[/quote]

In the App Inspector, set Default Window to ‘None’.

I’d put a big MAYBE in front of that. If the server doesn’t have a gui interface at all, a desktop app may still not run.

Indeed, on most servers, a desktop app even windowless will simply not run. I did not quite realize the OP wanted to install the console programs on a server.

Wanted to confirm that.
So, I can’t run Desktop application without any window screen. Is that right?
From my try to set Default Window to ‘None’, IDE didn’t work at all meaning that it didn’t seem to work.

Oh sure you can BUT a DESKTOP app may have requirements that a server wont meet like an installed window server or UI tool kit etc
So even though the app may not show any windows it still requires those services in order to launch

Forking!

We have a sample project on our MBS Plugin to show how to get command line parameters in GUI project and write back to stdout.

This is useful to have command line support in GUI app. And before the first window shows, the GUI system is not initialized.
Still Xojo desktop apps have entry in header that system knows it’s a desktop app, not a console one.

[quote=177600:@Christian Schmitz]We have a sample project on our MBS Plugin to show how to get command line parameters in GUI project and write back to stdout.

This is useful to have command line support in GUI app. And before the first window shows, the GUI system is not initialized.
Still Xojo desktop apps have entry in header that system knows it’s a desktop app, not a console one.[/quote]

I tried very simply to run a desktop app on a standard Linux server. No way, the appropriate X11 dependencies, among others, are not present.

yes, but if there is a GUI installed, the app can run as console. Like on Mac and Windows.

Of course I recommend changwon lee to just get a Pro license and not worry about limiting himself.

Indeed.

Thanks for all your comments.
I have decided to buy Console license for broadening my opportunities.

Nice day!