Yosemite Public Beta 10.10.3

I’m wondering if anyone is using Xojo with the new ‘public beta’ of Yosemite released in the past couple of days. I installed it yesterday (I’ve been running the developer beta for a couple of weeks without issue) and on restart could no longer start RS 2012 2.1, or Xojo 2014 R1, R2 and R2.1. All of them hard crashed on startup. Xojo 2015 R1 did start. It may be purely coincidental but I thought it might be worth a warning that if you like to live on the bleeding edge of betas, make sure you have a decent backup.

I’ve rolled back to the developer beta and everything is back to normal again.

Xojo 2015 R1 is working

Xojo Feedback App crashes, App wrapper crashes too

I’m downgrading now

[quote=172189:@Kim Kohen]I’m wondering if anyone is using Xojo with the new ‘public beta’ of Yosemite released in the past couple of days. I installed it yesterday (I’ve been running the developer beta for a couple of weeks without issue) and on restart could no longer start RS 2012 2.1, or Xojo 2014 R1, R2 and R2.1. All of them hard crashed on startup. Xojo 2015 R1 did start. It may be purely coincidental but I thought it might be worth a warning that if you like to live on the bleeding edge of betas, make sure you have a decent backup.

I’ve rolled back to the developer beta and everything is back to normal again.[/quote]

I usually never place directly any beta on a production machine. Instead, I install the new system on a removable drive so I can boot from it without risking to mess up my work tool.

On PC, I use multiple boot for the same purpose.

Heck, Yosemite 10.10.2 is barely out of the woods, and has already broken so many things…

We’re quite careful to have up-to-date clones of everything before committing to a new update. I’ve found Yosemite to be very good. I can’t speak for everyone of course but we’ve been using it here pretty happily since it first arrived. This has been the first significant issue and it was a simple matter to roll back down.

Of course, if you are careful there is nothing wrong with it. I love trying Beta software.

Good news, Feedback 2015r1 is working properly under 10.10.3

Betas are for testing, not living on.

I’m sure you realise that was a figure of speech, not a doctrine of computer usage…

The purpose of the thread was merely to warn people of potential issues if they do test betas.

Unfortunately it is not. I’ve seen a large portion of users complain that OSX/iOS beta breaks such and such, get incredibly upset, and not realize betas are for testing.

I apologize for mistaking your phrasing.

[quote=172209:@Tim Parnell]Unfortunately it is not. I’ve seen a large portion of users complain that OSX/iOS beta breaks such and such, get incredibly upset, and not realize betas are for testing.

I apologize for mistaking your phrasing.[/quote]

One thing is for sure. Seems the 10.10.3 public beta will be a lot of fun in the coming weeks. If already feedback and App Wrapper Mini, both supposedly well behaved Xojo apps crash, one can expect a slew of support requests and complaints from users who will, as you say, get incredibly upset because their poor brain cannot comprehend that a beta is not to be used lightly.

A recent analogous catastrophe was how some users installed the latest Lollipop version of Android on devices that were not quite up to par, and moaned everywhere.

Yosemite already broke enough declares last year that I am not amused now by the perspective to put all my applications back on the bench to fix elusive and underdocumented things because Apple decided to spread a beta that should not be in ignorant hands.

I would like to point out I never insulted anyone.
When using the phase “as you say” you can’t add things I’ve never said.

Thank you.

[quote=172214:@Tim Parnell]I would like to point out I never insulted anyone.
When using the phase “as you say” you can’t add things I’ve never said.
[/quote]

You said :

I added :

Let it be know that you never said :

Sheesh…

I am sorry you are so touchy. This discussion should not be about egos, but rather about what to do when users start to come at us with issues not due to our programs, but to an immature OS.

Signing off before tempers start to flare :confused:

If you would have added quote marks around what he actually wrote, then you would have been good to go, but the way it is currently written, it does look like he said all of it (and I can understand Tim’s distancing from comments that aren’t his :wink: )

AppleScript Editor link in the Dock was broken by the Public Beta.

They seems to added a “Open the target folder” when you move an item in that folder that is by far the useless and annoying thing I ever saw (Finder: the open window is set to view by List, move an item from that window into a folder in that folder).

That said, if you run an alpha, beta, final, whatever software (even OS), you have to check how it behave. Bot on it (or run it) and stay enough time to see if something wrong appears AND report errors.
The owner have to be reactive on the reports and squash bugs (really squash bugs, not suppress the feature or ‘hide it’).
Also, post-pone a bug squash to be in the next major version is also a really bad idea.

I already saw these (and more) in the past.

At last: if when I run the OS / software and saw a bug in the first minute of use that is because either the beta testers does not do theyr duties or the OS / Software creator does not squash the bug. I also saw that in the past.

I believe @Kim Kohen was a user warning other users, not complaining. This is a software development community, I tend to think that everybody knows what a beta is.

Going back on topic,

My job these days is to test our software trying to find bugs ASAP, before customers upgrade to the final version.
I am happy to report that I haven’t found any issues with the Xojo IDE, the macoslib plugin and compiled applications. No broken declares or weird behaviours. I’d like to know other users experience.

To summarize:
Xojo Feedback app 2014 crashes, 2015r1 works fine.
App wrapper mini crashes, I don’t have App wrapper full version to test it.
Some minor issues with color-picking in Adobe software (Fireworks, Illustrator)

I’ve already sent the crash reports Xojo engineers requested.

Well … this is not good. Not one app compiled with Xojo did work. Oh boy …

EDIT: ignore this. Removing all Xojo caches resolved this issue. All my apps now compile fine with OSX10.10.3 Preview.

What errors do you get?

[quote=172316:@Lisandro Mulena]@Christoph De Vocht Well … this is not good. Not one app compiled with Xojo did work. Oh boy …
What errors do you get?[/quote]

Don’t bother … its fixed by removing the Xojo caches. (see edit)

Is this something you think our customers/apps might need to do or does it only affect building with the IDE?

So far apps are working on the latest 10.10.3 developer preview - so they probably broke something with the public beta, just like the 10.10.0 launch, where apps were working in the developer preview, but not the actual GM…

2015r1 / 10.10.3 (public beta) / MacBook Pro 13" 2014-11-23:

the current little project I am fine tuning right now works fine:

1 ListBox (with a CheckBox Column), some PushButtons, one CheckBox, one ProgressBar, one TextField, one HttpSocket.

The download is slow (on the target web site, fine elsewhere), the download stop before the end, sometimes.

BTW: my MacBook Pro does not runs Xojo IDE released before before 2014-12-25 (so no tons of things in the caches folders).