ARC Memory Management

Is Xojo ready for this?
iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/15/02/20/apple-says-mac-app-makers-must-transition-to-arc-memory-management-by-may
Or is this only relevant for Xcode / Obj-C.

Xojo has been using reference counting forever.

Xojo’s runtime reference counting is not what this refers to

So conclusion = Nothing to worry about !

Thats not what I said
Xojo’s runtime reference counting is our own code
The Cocoa framework may be affected
I don’t know that code in sufficient detail to comment definitively so I’m not going to say it is or is not - I dont know

[quote=169667:@Norman Palardy]Thats not what I said
Xojo’s runtime reference counting is our own code
The Cocoa framework may be affected
I don’t know that code in sufficient detail to comment definitively so I’m not going to say it is or is not - I dont know[/quote]
I always thought reference counting was used in both although I’m not sure where I “learned” that. I hope it is, I can’t imagine the pain of moving from garbage collection.

Oke, we wait and see!

I read it this morning, got a panic and than saw the notice about manual reference counting. :slight_smile:

Xojo objects are definitely reference counted
However there are also OS level objects (controls etc) that the Xojo framework creates & uses to make them available to your for use (buttons windows etc) Those may be using Obj-C retain / release - but I dont know that code well enough to know IF this affects us or how it affects us
Or if it affects us at all

I’m sure once Joe has a chance to assess what this means we’ll know better
Until then sit tight & we’ll see

ARC is only available for 64bit Cocoa applications. Since Xojo compiles 32bit applications they must be using retain/release cycles for Cocoa objects.

The framework uses manual refcounting for Objective-C objects. Xojo applications will not be affected by Apple’s change in policy.

Yay !

Whew! :slight_smile:

Nice to hear

And the notes say: Apps may continue to use retain/release for manual memory management.
So the apps may be slowed down a bit if too much retain/release should be called, but no app store problem with them.

See https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=02202015a