Looking for feedback on Linux Feedback

I’d like to get some “feedback” on user experiences with Feedback on Linux.

What flavor/version of linux are you using?
Does it work for you?
What’s the problem?

Running Linux Mint 17 64bit with Cinnamon Desktop
Feedback doesn’t work for me. I have to start either a Windows or Linux 32bit installation to use it. Which basically means I don’t use it.

• Initially got "Error: Cannot install ‘libwebkitgtk-1.0-0:i386’ when installing the latest xojofeedback.deb.
  • Performed the “sudo apt-get install libwebkitgtk-1.0.0” but still got the above message.

I wish there was a version that wouldn’t use the HTMLViewer when on Linux. I’d be happy with just a listbox on Linux. It might not be as visually appealing, but it’d work for us Linux developers. I am fully biased, but I feel that Linux developers are a larger percentage of the 1-2% that I’ve heard from Xojo. I don’t know if that percentage is counted by downloads, feedback users, or other methodology. I know that I probably go into Feedback perhaps once or twice a year.

With Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS (Intel x86) the experience ends immediately after completing the Sign In dialog and then clicking the Sign In button. The message Feedback requires libwebkit. is presented and that’s it. Attempting to run Feedback 2015r1b2 again results in the Sign In dialog showing the login process proceeding successfully but then the same message being displayed.

Or get HTMLViewer to work on the most popular Linux Desktop distributions, like Ubuntu and Mint.

Most of my software development work is done on OS X but Windows and Linux are also used and would be more frequently if the Xojo IDE worked nearly as well on them as it does on OS X. I believe one of the reasons that Xojo developers favor OS X is that the IDE works best on OS X. If that were remedied so that it worked equally well on Windows and Linux then the usage percentages may very well change.

Every way I’ve ever looked at it its consistently 1-2% which is consistent with the total desktop share for Linux as measured by many other organizations.

Servers running linux is an entirely different story but then they’re not usually running a UI either

I use Xojo console applications on Debian x86 based embedded devices.
It’s hard to find embedded linuxs devices based on the x86 platform.

Compiled Xojo application after version 2014R1.1 no longer work with my embedded devices (feedback case 37626)

The plan now is to use 2014R1.1 until you have ARM support.

Sorry I have to use this opportunity:
With your new license policy for PRO users I’m sorry to say that I will not renew (correction purchase a new one…) the license until ARM is supported…
With your old policy I would renewed the license. And you would add bought IOS and ARM support to my license when it became avalible.
The old way is a win win situation for bought Xojo and me…
I really think you all do a good job, and the price for the product is right.
With the new policy and a launch date for ARM support within a year from now I had to buy 2 completely new PRO licensees to get it.
With the old one I never would have stopped my subscription and supported xojo all the way.

In the case you reference there’s no SSE support on that chip and the code emitters do generate code that relies on SSE.
Hence “illegal instruction”
Beyond that I’m not sure what the plans are to do with / about it

Oh…
Thanks Norman, I did’t know that.

[quote=169085:@Norman Palardy]Every way I’ve ever looked at it its consistently 1-2% which is consistent with the total desktop share for Linux as measured by many other organizations.

Servers running linux is an entirely different story but then they’re not usually running a UI either[/quote]

You may want to add the Chromebook, the total will probably not exceed 3%.

Or use CEF like on Windows, that way you’re guaranteed to have what you need…

I used Xojo on Linux mint 14 Maya (mainly because it was the only way to get a SIS video card to work correctly)
It was mainly used when I couldn’t access my main computer but developing projects between the two was pretty painless, however I did find the IDE would get progressively slower after running a project a few times without any plugins installed
Some people have complained Xojo +Linux is slow but (apart from the slowing down) the Win10 tech preview was about the same on the same laptop speed wise … poor thing has died now

Like @Kevin Cully I too use Linux Mint 17.1 (64 bit) with the Cinnamon desktop. I have the same issues as Kevin mentioned.

[quote=169155:@Kato Gangstad]Oh…
Thanks Norman, I did’t know that.[/quote]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex86#CPU
Note the FPU notes - thats what I think you’ve run into

Ubuntu 14.10 32-bit
Its slow, as expected for 32 bit, and most programs work on it. Would like to use 64 bit and installing 32bit libraries is too much of a hassle to figure out which libraries, installation files to add.

[quote=169808:@Eugene Dakin]Ubuntu 14.10 32-bit
Its slow, as expected for 32 bit, and most programs work on it. Would like to use 64 bit and installing 32bit libraries is too much of a hassle to figure out which libraries, installation files to add.[/quote]
I don’t believe that a 64-bit version will be any faster and Feedback doesn’t use all that much memory to run.

I agree Greg, 64 bit version probably won’t be much faster as retrieving internet data is the likely bottleneck. Until Google Fiber is installed, then a slower internet speed is a fact of life. :slight_smile:

What we need to do is refactor the data retrieval code. There are a few places where we retrieve several hundred records even though the user is only looking for two.

I’m wiling to bet Google, or anyone, wont put fiber anywhere near me in the next 50 years :stuck_out_tongue:

I use MINT for desktop and Ubuntu for server. Latest 64bit versions of each.

[quote=168903:@Greg O’Lone]What flavor/version of linux are you using?
Does it work for you?
What’s the problem?[/quote]

Ubuntu 64 always the latest LTS, yes it works, don’t use Xojo there as I need multi-treading full power on 4 cores per VCPU.