Why am I getting "A development profile is required when building an iOS application"

Hi

I setup my desktop mac (a bit hit and miss) and successfully deployed a simple app to the iPhone - I am now trying to get my MacBook working but I’m getting the error "A development profile is required when building an iOS application"when I try to build. I’m probably not understanding the issue correctly, but I am able to pick the Team popup in Code Signing.

What am I missing and thanks for the help

Chris

Maybe the build license is already allocated to the desktop Mac and there is none available for MacBook. There may be a need to login to Xojo and deauthorize the build license for desktop Mac user.

See https://forum.xojo.com/18393-distribution-profile-required

Thanks very much Syed and Michel for your response - No, it’s allocated to the MacBook ok, but good suggestion. I also tried logging in and out of Xcode (couldn’t quite figure out how to do this cleanly, so I deleted the account in Xcode and re-created it) - No luck though.

Actually I have now gone back to the the Mac that the same Project built ok previously and it’s showing up the same error.

[quote=156673:@Chris O’Brien]Thanks very much Syed and Michel for your response - No, it’s allocated to the MacBook ok, but good suggestion. I also tried logging in and out of Xcode (couldn’t quite figure out how to do this cleanly, so I deleted the account in Xcode and re-created it) - No luck though.

Actually I have now gone back to the the Mac that the same Project built ok previously and it’s showing up the same error.[/quote]

I had the same error, it worked fine until one day it popped that message.

The only way I was able to solve it was to remove all profiles, delete them on the apple developer site, create new ones and install them.

I get this same issue moving between my iMac and MacBook. I wonder whether there’s some issue with the way the profile is linked to the Xojo project that means it doesn’t move well between different machines?

I’m in the process now of deleting all development certs and device profiles but I have one silly question as I do this:

Once again thanks for your help

Chris

Update: After removing everything and starting again - following the instructions in I still had no joy - The exact same message [quote]A development profile is required when building an iOS application.[/quote] It would be really helpful if more information was given in the dialog.

I then went to Xcode and created a simple app to see if I could deploy that and it deployed and ran without a hitch. I feel I’m missing something simple, but it’s very frustrating - I brings me right back to the frustrations trying to deploy Xojo web apps :frowning:

Did you ever get a solution to this? I get the same error message and have tried everything, to no avail. If this is a bug I am going to ask for my money back.

Larry

Hi Larry

Travis Hill sent me instructions privately on how to make this work. I can’t figure out a way to send you this, but if you want to give me an email address I can send it that way.

Chris

Here’s the main gist:

[quote]I would try:

Delete any profiles you have in Xcode
Create a wildcard App ID without your com dot and company dot (just a )
Make a new iOS development profile using that wildcard app id
Hit refresh on the Xcode account screen- so the only ios development profile that is there is the one using wildcard app is (
)
Reload Xojo and try again
This will set it up so no matter what Bundle ID you use in any ios app build settings, the profile will be valid.[/quote]

The only thing about this solution is I think you may have difficulties with wildcards if you are planning to submit to the app store.

You can still submit to the App Store, but you can’t enable In App Purchase or Apple Push Notifications with a wildcard app ID.

When I was having trouble with profiles I found that a wildcard app ID managed to get me past the issue and I was able to build and upload my app via iTunes Connect, etc. However as I need APN, I ultimately had to transition to a specific app ID but fortunately that was by then comparatively painless.

One possibility is you need the provisioning profile on the MacBook. You may have to export the provisioning profile on the desktop Mac, put it on a memory device and install it on your MacBook.

Any idea how to fix this ?

I have OSX Sierra and Xojo 2016 R3 and whatever i do i will always give me this error so i cannot build for IOS.

Thanks .

Haven’t tried this yet with the latest OS and Xojo. In the past, I could never make a wildcard profile work at all, so I would avoid those.

I never was able to use wildcard profiles on iOS. But it is not really an issue, since I am not making thousands of apps anyway.

Did you download the “hidden” iOS update ?

Xojo > Preferences > Updates > Check Now

Well i did created a test profile for that specific app as well and still not working , so i have no idea what else i could do .

[quote=298446:@JrmieLeroy]Did you download the “hidden” iOS update ?

Xojo > Preferences > Updates > Check Now[/quote]
I guess i saw that update once i installed the app, so i presume that it is updated, is there a way to manually update that again ?

Thanks

Had this issue today. Had all my certificates created and installed, downloaded them in Xcode. I kept getting the “A development profile is needed” error in Xojo when building/signing. Eventually I created a test app in Xcode using my developer profile and deployed the app to the iPhone (just a blank iOS app). Went back to Xojo and tried to build/sign again and it all worked - ended up with a signed app which I could then upload to the iPhone using Xcode. So try creating an app in Xcode and deploying it, then go back to Xojo and build/sign your app, see if the error is gone.

Just to confirm that deleting and recreating profiles and certificates did not work, but Jonathan Clark’s solution worked perfectly for me. Thanks so much Jonathan!