iOS Image Maker [v2.01]

I was reading the Xojo blog earlier today, and ran across a topic about the “iOS Image Maker” to create the launch images and app icons for you iOS Project, and this interested me as these exact same resources are required for ObjC and Swift projects as well (obviously :slight_smile: ).

But the app supplied with Xojo, while it gets the images to support the compiler, it lacks any real customization.
So I decide to take their idea (full credit to Xojo here), and enhance it a bit.

And I created “iOS Resource Maker”… in its simplest form it does exactly what “Image Maker” does. but it also allows you to create the Launch Images with up to 4 lines of text (2 at the top and 2 at the bottom), as well as include the “App Icon” in the center of the launch image.

Version 1.00 is available to anyone that wishes to play with it, and I will be adding more features as the need presents itself.

Please read the Introduction as it does describe things a little differently that the Xojo version.

iOS Resource Maker v1.00

And let me know of any issues, enchancements etc.

Awesome, thanks Dave. Just two things on my wishlist:

1. That the app automatically crops the images the user chooses. It now distorts non-square images.
  2. Being able to choose a separate image that will be used as fullscreen launch image

[quote=154099:@Dave S]I was reading the Xojo blog earlier today, and ran across a topic about the “iOS Image Maker” to create the launch images and app icons for you iOS Project, and this interested me as these exact same resources are required for ObjC and Swift projects as well (obviously :slight_smile: ).

But the app supplied with Xojo, while it gets the images to support the compiler, it lacks any real customization.
So I decide to take their idea (full credit to Xojo here), and enhance it a bit.

And I created “iOS Resource Maker”… in its simplest form it does exactly what “Image Maker” does. but it also allows you to create the Launch Images with up to 4 lines of text (2 at the top and 2 at the bottom), as well as include the “App Icon” in the center of the launch image.

Version 1.00 is available to anyone that wishes to play with it, and I will be adding more features as the need presents itself.

Please read the Introduction as it does describe things a little differently that the Xojo version.

iOS Resource Maker v1.00

And let me know of any issues, enchancements etc.[/quote]

Thank you for sharing, Dave :slight_smile:

After posting this, I had some ideas to support more precise icons, that is instead of forcing all sized to be derived from one, add the ability to do that, OR assign each size a pre-drawn icon , plus adding a mask (like XOJO desktop does it).

Vincent… doe you mean, instead of a colored background, there would be an image, good idea, but in some ways that kind defeats the purpose of “making” the launch image, remember these images (my opinion) do only two things.

1. gives the compiler something to use (still not sure why you MUST have the right launch image for 6/6+ to compile to the right resolution)
  2. show briefly to the user, while you app initializes

NOTE : found an error… the launch images where not saving with the correct filenames… v1.01 fixes that [uploaded just now]

Yes, exactly. On slower devices and with more complex or resource heavy apps, the launch image may actually display for several seconds before the app loads its first view.

Let me look into that … right now I’m enhancing the APP Icon area to allow the ability to externally create pixel precise icons, of course like the launch images, if you go to the trouble to create every individual one it defeats the purpose of the app…
But this gives the ability to base individual icons as scaled versions of specific other icon. The interface will become drag and drop enabled at that point.

On a side note:

I had a major issue because I made the Launch Images with Pixelmator and they where 2pixel too small (my mistake).
The result was jerky scrolling with the iOSTableView.

So make sure you use the correct resolutions. :slight_smile:

A new version with a new interface is now available.
Most everything is drag and drop.

Added:

• Produces filenames compatible with XOJO and/or XCODE
  • Launch Image Text can have optional shadow
  • Added feature to create iTunesArtwork.png at 1024x1024 (shows in app as 470x470 for preview)
  • removed all the unnecessary listbox data
  • moved Header/Footer edit function to Launch Image tab
  • Icon scaling is based on the ORIGINAL image regardless of how you drag things inside the app

iOS Resource Maker [v1.20]

so this version looks almost nothing like the original, but I think it works much nicer…

What do YOU think?

Nice Dave! I like the dual output option.

Very nice Dave, thanks for sharing with us!

Thanks Dave! I had thoughts along these lines myself, especially adding a common image to the launch images. Delighted to discover you had done the work.

Suggestions:

• Add a button to open the output folder. (I’d do this right in the main window, and eliminate the “done” modal.)
  • Allow transparent background color for app icons. You can do this with a slider in the main window.
  • Allow user to control shadow transparency (maybe instead of shadow color) – shadows should generally be the color of the background, but darker.
  • Show previews of the launch images – it’s OK if they are reduced, but it’s nice to be able to see them all so you can evaluate the composition.

Thanks Dave - a great timesaver

Dave - great improvements!

I haven’t tested Image Maker with the new way to add images to iOS apps. Do the correct images export for that?

Later today (03Feb2016) I will be posting a NEW version of my iOS Resource Maker app…

• Supports App Icon size for new iPad Pro [now supports 10 sizes (29,40,58,76,80,87,120,152,167,180), 167 is for IPP]
  • create Launch Image for iPad Pro (even though Xcode doesn’t have a place to add it)
  • Support an EXTERNAL configuration file, to allow easy tweeks of filenames, etc.
  • Creates MASKED App icon files to create transparent backgrounds (using White 0xFFFFFF as transparent)
  • Supports individual control over fonts and colors for each text line on Launch Image

[quote]And it seems that the information is XOJO’s own current release of iOSImageMaker is all messed up? Wrong resolutions? etc?
Anyways, I based most of my information on what Xcode requires, but it should be EXACTLY what XOJO requires as well[/quote]

If anyone finds changes (in the config file) that are required for XOJO (or Xcode for that matter) please let me know

here is the config file as it exists right now… let me know if you see something wrong please

// -----------------------------------------
// Icon Resource Maker Configuration File
// copyright ©2016 R.David S
// -----------------------------------------
//
// format : ICON <pixels> , <XOJO filename> , <XCode filename>
//        : IMAGE <width> , <height> , <portrait> , <XOJO filename> , <XCode filename>
// Note   : If multiple files with same metrics are required, append filenames with ;
//        : records with invalid syntax will be ignored with NO error or warning!
//        : all output files will have .PNG file extension
//
//---------- Begin ICON Definitions ----------
// Note : DO NOT ADD MORE SIZES (change filename if you want)
//---------------------------------------------
icon 180,iPhone60x60@3x               ,appicon60@3x
icon 167,iPad83_5x83_5@2x             ,appicon83_5@2x  // for iPad Pro (87.5 pixels)
icon 152,iPad76x76@2x                 ,appicon76@2x
icon 120,iPhone60x60@2x;iPhone40x40@3x,appicon60@2x;appicon40@3x
icon  87,iPhone29x29@3x               ,appicon29@3x
icon  80,iPhone40x40@2x               ,appicon40@2x
icon  76,iPad76x76@1x                 ,appicon76@1x
icon  58,iPhone29x29@2x               ,appicon29@2x
icon  40,iPad40x40@1x                 ,appicon40@1x
icon  29,iPad29x29@1x                 ,appicon29@1x
//
//---------- Begin IMAGE Definitions ----------
// Note : Add as many other sizes as desired
//---------------------------------------------
image 750 ,1334,true ,iPhone750x1334@1x   ,iPhoneHD47_Port@2x  // iPhone6  Port
image 1242,2208,true ,iPhone1242x2208@2x  ,iPhoneHD55_Port@3x  // iPhone6+ Land
image 2208,1242,false,iPhone2208x1242@2x  ,iPhoneHD55_Land@3x  // iPhone6+ Port
image 640 , 960,true ,iPhone640x960@2x    ,iPhone4_Port@2x
image 640 ,1136,true ,iPhone640x1136@2x   ,iPhone5_Port@2x
image 768 ,1024,true ,iPad768x1024@1x     ,iPad2_Port@1x
image 1024, 768,false,iPad1024x768@1x     ,iPad2_Land@1x
image 1536,2048,true ,iPad768x1024@2x     ,iPadRetina_Port@2x
image 2048,1536,false,iPad1024x768@2x     ,iPadRetina_Land@2x
image 2048,2732,true ,iPad1024x1366@2x    ,iPadPro_Port@2x
image 2732,2048,false,iPad1366x1024@2x    ,iPadPro_Land@2x

Well since nobody has expressed a continuing interest than I won’t waste the time or bandwidth to upload it.

What IS anyone else using to create these images and icons?

I know I’m interested. I think we were all waiting for the link. Thanks for your continued work!

I also was waiting for the link

Just downloaded iOS Resource Maker and ran it. Great little utility. Certainly would like to see iPad Pro support added. Other proposed changes are nice but not essential.
Would like to see ability to increase the size of the app icon in the launch screen image.

[quote=245333:@C. Thomas Baumgartner]Just downloaded iOS Resource Maker and ran it. Great little utility. Certainly would like to see iPad Pro support added. Other proposed changes are nice but not essential.
Would like to see ability to increase the size of the app icon in the launch screen image.[/quote]
What you downloaded was version 1.0x… I will have Version 2.0 up there shortly.

Right now, the Launch Image icon size is chosen from the App Icons (closest size available).