iOSTextfield with no border

Any way to disable the border for iOSTextField ?

Should be fairly simple. TextView in XCode does not have any border. I looked at the class reference, though, and could not locate the property.

This explains how: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20116471/how-to-hide-uitextfield-border

SWIFT version to remove border from a UITextField

self.borderStyle=UITextBorderStyle.None

UITextView does not have a border, but one can be added by manipulating the LAYER property
and the same can be done for the UITextField if you wanted to CHANGE the default border

var borderWidth:Double {
        set {
            self.layer.borderWidth=CGFloat(newValue)
            self.setNeedsLayout()
        }
        get { return Double(self.layer.borderWidth) }
    }

var borderColor:UIColor {
        set {
            self.layer.borderColor=newValue.CGColor
            self.setNeedsLayout()
        }
        get { return UIColor(CGColor:self.layer.borderColor) }
    }

Maybe Jim can take a peek at this? :wink:

Anyone can make this working? Changing the color should do the job. :slight_smile:

As I showed above… iOS doesn’t allow you to change the border of a UITEXTFIELD, but you can turn it off, and replace it by using the LAYER property… but I can only give you the SWIFT versions, and hopfully Michel or someone can take it from there

I know what you really want is a magic declare, but as usual, there is a pure Xojo alternative.

Place a white rectangle 3 pix wide :

• Left relative to TextArea left
  • Top relative to TextArea top
  • Height relative and equal to TextArea height

Do the same for right, use a 3 pix high rectangle on top and the same at bottom.

Am a bit tired tonight to do a declare. It is only one property, though. But I just posted a valid, tested and working pure Xojo technique.

About Swift, I like it very much because the examples in the Apple developer library are now readable in Swift, almost as easy as the C# examples in Msdn for Windows.

Wait wait wait…

I was on my way to do a declare so I placed a TextArea on a view and ran that, and just as in XCode, the TextArea has NO BORDER when run. It shows a border only in the IDE !

[quote=154487:@Michel Bujardet]Wait wait wait…

I was on my way to do a declare so I placed a TextArea on a view and ran that, and just as in XCode, the TextArea has NO BORDER when run. It shows a border only in the IDE ![/quote]
But he said iosTextFIELD not Area :slight_smile:

Oops. Sorry. Same suggestions as before :

• Rectangles
  • Use a TextArea with the code I posted to make it non multiline
  • Wait for some good soul to post a declare. Won’t be me. Time to go to bed.

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/UIKit/Reference/UITextField_Class/index.html#//apple_ref/occ/instp/UITextField/borderStyle

The property to set is borderStyle. In Swift it is only one integer :

[code]The border style used by the text field.

Declaration
SWIFT
var borderStyle: UITextBorderStyle[/code]

That said, a borderless TextField will be challenging for the user to find if it is the same color as the background.

Thanks to Urlich Bogun’s UITextField project :

Public Enum BorderStyle None Line Bezel RoundedRect

[code] declare Sub setBorderStyle lib “UIKit” selector “setBorderStyle:” (id as ptr, style as BorderStyle)

setborderStyle(Ptr(TextField1.Handle),BorderStyle.None)[/code]

Just to remove the border, no need for enum :

[code] declare Sub setBorderStyle lib “UIKit” selector “setBorderStyle:” (id as ptr, style as integer)

setborderStyle(Ptr(TextField1.Handle),0) [/code]

[quote=154509:@Michel Bujardet]Thanks to Urlich Bogun’s UITextField project :

Public Enum BorderStyle
None
Line
Bezel
RoundedRect
declare Sub setBorderStyle lib “UIKit” selector “setBorderStyle:” (id as ptr, style as BorderStyle)

setborderStyle(Ptr(TextField1.Handle),BorderStyle.None)
Just to remove the border, no need for enum :

declare Sub setBorderStyle lib “UIKit” selector “setBorderStyle:” (id as ptr, style as integer)

setborderStyle(Ptr(TextField1.Handle),0) [/quote]

OK, tried both but it doesn’t seems to remove the border.

To be more exact. The second does not work. :slight_smile:

:confused:

borderstyle.xojo_binary_project

Tested, works just fine here. Either form. Look in the TextField Open event.

Is there a way to change as well the color of the border ? I know that the subject is about no border but what about the border color if in case needs to be changed ? for example I need like a validation text field and if it`s empty to become red or something like that .

Thanks

If you are using iOSKit from Jason King, you can add this function to a Module

[code]Public Sub setBorderColor(extends txt As iOSTextField, C As Color)

Declare Function layer_ Lib UIKitLib selector “layer” (id As ptr) As Ptr
Dim layer As ptr = layer_(bt.Handle)

Dim uic As New UIColor©

declare sub setBorderColor lib UIKitLib selector “setBorderColor:” (obj_id as ptr, col as ptr)
setBorderColor(layer, uic.id)
End Sub
[/code]

[quote=363239:@JrmieLeroy]Declare Function layer_ Lib UIKitLib selector “layer” (id As ptr) As Ptr
Dim layer As ptr = layer_(bt.Handle)

Dim uic As New UIColor©

declare sub setBorderColor lib UIKitLib selector “setBorderColor:” (obj_id as ptr, col as ptr)
setBorderColor(layer, uic.id)[/quote]
Hi Jrmie,

I get an error when adding this method saying : [quote]line 2
This item does not exist
Dim layer As ptr = layer_(bt.Handle)[/quote]

Any idea why ?

Thanks .

shouldn’t that be

txt.handle