SVG support?

To what extent is the SVG file format supported in desktop applications? Can’t find anything in the wiki.

SVG is not supported at all by Xojo for Desktop applications.

I wish it was, though.

It’s an XML format. Should be possible to transform into Object2Ds - a question of time after all…

Christian Schmitz’ ImageMagick wrapper plugin may be a solution for you:

http://www.mbsplugins.de/archive/2011-06-30/Tip_of_the_day_Render_SVG_with

That’d be already a start, thanks for the hint. Even better was if it returned a Group2D object :slight_smile: That way one could manipulate the SVG

Take a look here: http://www.monkeybreadsoftware.net/plugincontent-mbsrealstudiographicsmagickplugin.shtml

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away, I wrote some code to do just that… I can try to dig it out if you like, but I have no idea if it will even work. I do recall that I abandoned it because it easily led to app crashes…

Failing that, can you open SVG in Apple’s preview? If so I might have another solution for you instead (but not for Windows sorry).

[quote=12761:@Sam Rowlands]A long time ago in a galaxy far far away, I wrote some code to do just that… I can try to dig it out if you like, but I have no idea if it will even work. I do recall that I abandoned it because it easily led to app crashes…

Failing that, can you open SVG in Apple’s preview? If so I might have another solution for you instead (but not for Windows sorry).[/quote]

Yes please! I will try to dig into the SVG docs too…

Apple’s preview doesn’t open ans SVGs here :frowning:

Xojo could implement a Picture.Open(“vector.svg”), then it could be loaded to the Picture.Objects (a Group2D) ready to be used.

Safari opens SVG files.

Dim p as new Picture
p.Safari(“vector.svg”) // Method not found. :slight_smile: - [Yes. It’s a joke]

Which garners the ever popular

Dim fr as new FeatureRequest // this item does not exist :stuck_out_tongue:

(which is a tad facetious - hence the :stuck_out_tongue: - since there is case <https://xojo.com/issue/10931>)
I know we’ve discussed this a couple times internally and we could revisit this as libraries that implement SVG well are becoming more common I just don’t know if one meets our needs & would be suitable as far as licensing … OH and we already have a ton of stuff on the go

As it was accepted with no modifications or suggestions. I’ll do it tomorrow. I usually only open one after being discussed and when it have any chance of it seeing the daylight.

there is case Feedback Case #10931

We have SVG output for ChartDirector and barcode creation in our plugins.

FireFox and The G.I.M.P. too.

Did someone say GIMP?

The complementary question is:

which formula of handling of vectorial drawings (drawing, to open and save) do we have with Xojo?

I do.

BTW: The G.I.M.P. also opens PDF (I open, change and save [as png] images pdf).

this question would be of interest for me, too. Esp. if you read the following on CNET (as “Publisher’s Description From Xojo”): “Xojo supports standard image formats for vector graphics.” Link (last sentence)