Controls set to StandardGap form the bottom of a view are hidden by tab zone

If you set up a Screen with a tab container and place controls on a View locked to Bottom + StandardGap, they will be hidden by the tab area of the screen when your app runs in both the Simulator and a real device.

<https://xojo.com/issue/37245>

Don’t lock them to the bottom of the view but to the BottomLayoutGuide. This is the valid border that changes when you show a tab.

I didn’t lock them there, the layout editor did.

If we’re going to have to manually double check each decision that the layout editor makes, that’s going to suck big time.

If you drag a control down to the bottom there can / will be several possible guides presented as there are several valid positions.
BottomLayoutGuide.Top - stdGap
BottomLayoutGuide.Top
Bottom - stdGap
Bottom

[quote=150850:@Tim Jones]I didn’t lock them there, the layout editor did.

If we’re going to have to manually double check each decision that the layout editor makes, that’s going to suck big time.[/quote]

In my experience, you cannot really trust the IDE to visually implant your controls like you do in Desktop. It tends to use standard constraints that are not always optimum for what you need.

Drop the control where you need, then look at every constraint, and most importantly decide what the control should be relative to.

The constraints are not extremely straighforward, but once you get the hang at their relative nature, it becomes a great tool. My current app scales with very little tweaking from iPhone 4 to iPad with rotation smooth as silk.

I just did this for the button and it’s still hidden by the Tab area.

I also tried Parent.BottomLayoutGuite + StdGap

[quote=150935:@Norman Palardy]If you drag a control down to the bottom there can / will be several possible guides presented as there are several valid positions.
BottomLayoutGuide.Top - stdGap
BottomLayoutGuide.Top
Bottom - stdGap
Bottom[/quote]
Except we don’t know what we’re going to get since the Inspector info for the control does;t update until you drop the control.

[quote=151010:@Tim Jones]I just did this for the button and it’s still hidden by the Tab area.

I also tried Parent.BottomLayoutGuite + StdGap[/quote]

BottomLayoutGuide.Top -20 should do it.

Thanks, Michel. The secret was BottomLayoutGuide.Top

1 Like

BottomLayoutGuide.Top isn’t working for me when I have a tool button as well.
There needs to be a programatic way to set this without having to guess at the pixel stack at the bottom.