Building for the app store needs a profile

I have done all required settings (see iOS documentation) to build an app for iOS. I have a distribution profile in the settings of Xcode. When I build an app with Xojo the compiler starts and I got this message and the app was not build:

A distribution profile is required when building for the app store.

Does this distribution profile appear in the Xcode preferences window for your account?

Yes, it is in the list of provisioning profiles and it has the name “iOSTeam Provisioning Profile: *” and an expiration date 12/09/15

Those provisioning profiles appear to be a common source of issues in general. Try searching StackOverflow to see all the strange things that can go wrong.

Anyway, what I’ve seen commonly recommended when provisioning profiles go wrong, is to revoke and recreate everything.

You mention a single provisioning profile- are you sure you have both a Development and Distribution profile on your computer? Just asking to be sure. To build for your own device you use a Development profile, to build for the store you use a Distribution profile.

[quote=150146:@Paul Lefebvre]Those provisioning profiles appear to be a common source of issues in general. Try searching StackOverflow to see all the strange things that can go wrong.

Anyway, what I’ve seen commonly recommended when provisioning profiles go wrong, is to revoke and recreate everything.[/quote]

That is what I had to do when the beta came. And it solved the problem.

The problem was an old project that I have created with a BETA release. It cannot be build with the current release. I have made a new project with the same contents and this works with the current release.

I have the same error message. I think I have followed all the instructions correctly, and have provisioning profiles for my iPhone for both development and distribution. I have tried revoking them all and starting again, and I have deleted and re-added my account in XCode. Any ideas much appreciated. Should my Mac show provisioning profiles in XCode Devices page ?

I had the same problem. When I build my old app, that I have created with the BETA release, I got the profile error. The build process doesn’t create the *.dSYM file. I have created a project with Xcode and I have no problem with my app and I can transfer it on the iPad and iPhone.
Please make a new project from the examples. And change the bundle identifier to your identifier. This resolves my problem.

Thanks Horst, that was a useful idea to go back to one of the examples. I tried Tip Calculator. Without changing the bundle identifier it builds an app (but no *.dSYM file). Trying to add this to my iPhone in XCode gets a message saying it is not signed. That seems fair.

When I change the bundle id to my own one and change the Team Name to mine it compiles but then fails with the message “A development profile is required when building an iOS application”. I have tried deleting all my signing identities and my provisioning profiles and creating them again - I have an iOS Team Provisioning Profile, and have also added an iOS Development profile and an iOS Distribution profile - still doesn’t work with or without the last two. I have removed and reinstated my account from XCode. Still no luck. This is very frustrating, any suggestions very welcome.

If the profiles you made on Apple’s dev portal aren’t made with a full wildcard App ID (just plain *)- then I’d try that. Having only wildcard app ids/profiles will work with any app once you get going.

Thank you Travis, you are clearly a genius, this works for me. It is very exciting to see my own app on my iPhone !

Great if this could be clearer in the Xojo instructions (the Apple iOS developer portal still encourages you to use the limited wildcard com.mycompany.*)

Merry Christmas.

Tried everything above and nothing worked! Seems to be wild guessing… Here is a perfect fix: Delete old iOS files in “Keychain access”. Delete all iOS certificates in “Member Center” and create new ones, using the wildcard App ID. When error comes up, open new project in XCode and it will automatically tell you about faulty certificates and also offer TO FIX IT. After that your Xojo project should compile just fine… :slight_smile:

The fix in the last post only worked for development… Tried many times and finally it worked fine without the wildcard… Opened a new project in XCode with the same name and bundle id and then it was easier to fix the problem, since XCode checks all certificates.

Hey, anyone found the fix for this?

I have done everything as described and i am still getting this error.

I have a valid certificate and it looks good in the xcode. Xojo recognises the name (team item is added) and when finish compiling, it just spits the error. Couls somebody please put online a step by step tutorial with pictures how to fix this problem?