An update on 64 bit...

http://www.xojo.com/blog/en/2014/12/an-update-on-64-bit.php

Thank you Travis. This is very good news.

Excellent!

For Linux Console that is excellent news.

Scraping bottom of shelf for pennies to make pounds!$$ ££

well, but I hope they give us 64bit for a target, when they have it and not wait for other targets to finish there.

Indeed, that is the plan.

Thanks for the update Travis!

Travis, thank you for these wonderful news :slight_smile:

Beta! NOW!

Good news. That say we have 64bits Mac OS in which release ?

Xojo 201xRy.z

Good news indeed :slight_smile:

Excellent news. The nightmare scenario for my business is someone coming on stage at WWDC this year and announcing that the next version of OS X will only run 64-bit apps, so news of progress like this is very welcome.

No, I do not take these news as anything but bad news. I will not use iOS nor Linux and so I do not read anything like a good news from Xojo this running week.

In fact, I take this week as the worst week of 2014, the worst one since (after) REALbasic 1.0 (release).

BTW: this is not a rant, and I have nothing about the engineers who do their job (certainly as best as they can). It is just that the politics (technical decisions) does not goes the way I am walking, but elsewhere where I will not go.

[quote=150268:@Emile Schwarz]No, I do not take these news as anything but bad news. I will not use iOS nor Linux and so I do not read anything like a good news from Xojo this running week.

In fact, I take this week as the worst week of 2014, the worst one since (after) REALbasic 1.0 (release).

BTW: this is not a rant, and I have nothing about the engineers who do their job (certainly as best as they can). It is just that the politics (technical decisions) does not goes the way I am walking, but elsewhere where I will not go.[/quote]
I feel your frustration but to be fair, a lot of the progress they are making, such as 64-bit, Autolayout, LLVM, new framework, will eventually filter down to other platforms.

At the moment, I also do not need iOS or Linux, but I wouldn’t take this as the worst week of 2014?
I now have the new desktop version which contains squashed bugs, and new features - surely that can only be a good thing??

I hope that the team took a cue from Java where an int is an int on all platforms and not automatically changed from 32bit to 64bits. This is one of the cool features that I found in my Java 8 journey, If you need 64bit values, you use the long variants while an Int is still 32bits.

Here are the details from the Java documentation: Java types values and variables

[quote=150488:@Tim Jones]I hope that the team took a cue from Java where an int is an int on all platforms and not automatically changed from 32bit to 64bits. This is one of the cool features that I found in my Java 8 journey, If you need 64bit values, you use the long variants while an Int is still 32bits.

Here are the details from the Java documentation: Java types values and variables [/quote]

Integer’s size will vary from 32-bit to 64-bit. If you want a specific size, your code should use the appropriate integer type.

Tim, I’m not sure where is this documented, but it’s been known that Integer is an alias for the native integer size (Int32, currently) and would change when the framework was updated. Likewise, the new UInteger is currently an alias for UInt32 and will later become UInt64.

I don’t know Java so I don’t know if you ever had the option to declare the exact size you wanted/needed as Xojo does.

@Kem Tekinay - I posted the link to the Java docs in that post.