Missing controls

I never used Xojo before until now. Making iOS applications was always out of my league with X-Code.
The simple syntax used in xojo may be what I am looking for.

However there are so little iOS controls available that it is very hard to make good applications. Why are many iOS controls missing?
imo this renders the current version not very useable for me.

PS: I looked at the ‘declares’ code but that is out of my leaque. I would use X-Code if these ‘declares’ are needed for making iOS applications. :wink:

If there are specific things you feel you need, be sure to create Feedback cases (or give your votes to existing ones). This is only version 1 of our iOS support. More things will come!

[quote=149709:@John Mills]I never used Xojo before until now. Making iOS applications was always out of my league with X-Code.
The simple syntax used in xojo may be what I am looking for.

However there are so little iOS controls available that it is very hard to make good applications. Why are many iOS controls missing?
imo this renders the current version not very useable for me.

PS: I looked at the ‘declares’ code but that is out of my leaque. I would use X-Code if these ‘declares’ are needed for making iOS applications. ;-)[/quote]

One way is to use a Canvas to create controls.

Not yet looked at the canvas. Will do asap
But I preffer to use standard iOS controls as much as possible.

What specific controls do you have in mind? I’ve started working on module of UIKit declares and classes and can create some to most of the controls available in UIKit. Just say what controls you are looking for and I can see what I can do.

Someone could create an iOS thread, only for declares and one for custom controls maybe?
Put them all in one place :slight_smile:

Once I make some progress I will do so.

There is no Picker control (equivalent of popup menu) yet. That seems to be the big one (so far).

We have already created some extensions in the beta forum and talked about creating a repository of some kind to share them. But we have not come to a solution how and where to put the code so that it can be accessed without having to fear the hosting site could be removed some day. If you have some idea: Right on, I’d gladly share what I have made so far.

Certainly post it on the iOS target sub channel
Thats a start

Indeed some iOS controls are not available yet. I bet there will be a lot of people posting declares for iOS controls soon.
As Albin said: We need a iOS thread for this. Or even better : a separate declare channel.

Well, MacOSLib is on GitHub. You might be able to piggyback onto their account.

Shouldn’t there be a fork for the MacOSLib specific for iOS?
MaciOSLib or something?

Or just iOSLib?

Go Ulrich, Go ! :slight_smile:

[quote=149718:@John Mills]Not yet looked at the canvas. Will do asap
But I preffer to use standard iOS controls as much as possible.[/quote]
We will be adding more controls in future releases. In the meantime, I’ll bet some open source Xojo libraries will appear as members of the community contribute by figuring out the appropriate declares. That’s why we added the iOSControl (I think it’s called) class to make this possible.

Also iOSBlock was added to make more things possible.

[quote=149812:@Norman Palardy]Certainly post it on the iOS target sub channel
Thats a start[/quote]

Problem is to host the projects. The forum is good to post snippets of source, but when files are concerned, an exterior host is necessary. I suggested Github, but that is project oriented, not file oriented.

Although MacOSLib and WFS are good examples of collective work located in a Github.

I am not sure mixing up MacOSLib and iOS is a good idea.

Creating a new Github repository for an iOS lib is not that difficult, really. I like the idea of a big project full of modules, but it may not always be possible, though.

[quote=149864:@Michel Bujardet]Problem is to host the projects. The forum is good to post snippets of source, but when files are concerned, an exterior host is necessary. I suggested Github, but that is project oriented, not file oriented.

Although MacOSLib and WFS are good examples of collective work located in a Github.[/quote]
I always use dropbox for posting links to my projects and also I use www.tinypic.com for posting images. Nice and easy plus the help you receive is much more concise from people like Michel etc.

HTH.