Domain settings for XOJO Cloud

I’ve recently setup a XOJO Cloud account and loaded an app to run successfully. However, I am having an issue getting our Domain which is managed by Hover.com to pickup the domain name through DNS. Currently we have an index.html page on the site under the root (web folder) besides the app in its folder. The index.html page will come up if you just enter the IP address of the XOJO Cloud account. So, no problems there using the IP and simple index page.

Now I am trying to point the domain to the IP. I have entered the items as follows at hover.com under the domain. (Did this two days ago)

Host Record IP
@ A ###.###.###.### (IP address as # provided by XOJO)

•      A               ###.###.###.###  (IP address as # provided by XOJO)

Glue Records are as follows:

ns1: ###.###.###.### (IP address as # provided by XOJO)
ns2: ###.###.###.### (IP address as # provided by XOJO)

I have read that you are suppose to set the IP under the Domain settings as http://###.###.###.###/appFolder/ to make the domain go directly to the app, however the domain management will not allow anything but an IP address which is understandable. I would prefer to have the IP set to one single domain anyways, in the event I have more than one app under that domain and want them to all be under the same SSL.

So, with just a single index.html page working in the web folder with the IP, I would expect the domain URL to work as well once transferred. I’ve done this with other sites multiple times with no issue and they usually transfer within 2-4 hours. Now it’s been 2 days.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! ~Tom

When I did this, I only had to set up the A record as described here:

http://www.xojo.com/blog/en/2014/05/redirect-your-domain-to-a-xojo-cloud-web-app.php

I don’t think you should be changing the name server addresses.

Sorry, I forgot to mention the domain no longer points to our old server any longer. It produces a blank page of “this page can’t be displayed”. So, I know that redirection to somewhere has taken effect.

Initially I only changed the A record and it still did not work, so I went in and modified the Glue Records to point to this new IP. They were set previously to our old IP. Do we need the Glue records, or should we delete them.

Also, I just reset everything under the DNS (where the A record is kept) to default and saved. Then I changed the IP to the one given by XOJO. Not sure, but maybe resetting to default will help get things on track. I guess time will tell.

[quote=144459:@Thomas Pittman]
ns1: ###.###.###.### (IP address as # provided by XOJO)
ns2: ###.###.###.### (IP address as # provided by XOJO)[/quote]
This is incorrect. These should be the IP addresses provided by your domain provider for their DNS server.

Greg. You hit the nail on the spot! That was the issue with the DNS. We still had our original name servers in place which was the domain. Changed them to ns1 and ns2 hover.com and started working immediately.

Thanks for your help!

Excuse me, I have similar questions, I have my domain name “www.companyname.com” point to my original company website, I should not change it, and now I have made a travel tour booking system on xojo cloud, I would like to point a sub domain name “booktour.companyname.com” to one xojo project on xojo cloud “xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/booktour”, how could I do that?

In the DNS settings for your domain (wherever you have your domain name registered), just point it at your server. To do that, create an “A” record with he domain set to your subdomain and IP set to the IP address of your server.

Probably a stupid question. When I forward my domain to point to my Xojo cloud server, do I need to append the // or is there a way to specify one of my applications as default for the server?

Basically, I’d like my home page to be hosted in the Xojo cloud, and I’m struggling with the DNS stuff (because there were always other people to do that before… )

[quote=367653:@Chris Halford]Probably a stupid question. When I forward my domain to point to my Xojo cloud server, do I need to append the // or is there a way to specify one of my applications as default for the server?

Basically, I’d like my home page to be hosted in the Xojo cloud, and I’m struggling with the DNS stuff (because there were always other people to do that before… )[/quote]

Don’t add paths in your DNS records. You may however use a http forwarding service, then you append the path to the right endpoint of your application basicly “http://www.domain.com/application.cgi” or “http://www.domain.com:[PORT]/apppath”

It depens on the setup the left one for .cgi deployments the right one for stand alone deployments.

You could have an index page on your site that redirects to the app you want. There are steps on how to do that in the Xojo Cloud docs here:

Xojo Cloud General Information

I must be botching it. Nothing is working as expected.
Thanks for the documentation. I’ll keep hacking.