Xojo pricing

1. ‹ Older
  2. 6 years ago

Alexander v

6 Jun 2013 Europe (Houten, The Netherland...

I use Delphi (part of the XE4 studio) for many years now. No DLL hell as Delphi compiles to one (1) native .exe. A word of caution for those who want to develop with XE4 for OSX and iOS platforms: the process is cumbersome and the controls are simulated, not native drawn.

One thing does Delphi better than Xojo (alas) and that is it's execution speed.

3. Katherine B

is not verified 6 Jun 2013 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

Hi Everyone - If you have any questions regarding pricing, please feel free to email me at custserv@xojo.com and I will be happy to assist.

--
    Katherine Brown
    Sales and Customer Service
    Xojo, Inc.

4. Edited 6 years ago

@Amando B [quote=11584:@Lee P]They do exist
    Rad Studio XE4

Yuck! Sorry, I stay with Xojo.

What about Qt with its Qt Creator IDE . It's totally free. You can create applications for Windows, Mac OS, Linux. Android and iOS support is in beta. The only thing you can't do is web apps.

http://qt-project.org/wiki/New-Features-in-Qt-5.1

It's also going to be the official toolkit for creating apps for Ubuntu Phone OS and Sailfish OS (for mobile phones).

It is also one of the official toolkits for Blackberry OS.
    http://developer.blackberry.com/devzone/develop/platform_partners/qt.html

5. Lee P

is not verified 6 Jun 2013 Hertfordshire, UK

Does' Xojo Desktop allow building of console apps?

6. Jeremy C

6 Jun 2013 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Ohio, USA

@Lee P Does' Xojo Desktop allow building of console apps?

No, see the pricing, Console is an additional product.

7. Lee P

is not verified 6 Jun 2013 Hertfordshire, UK

If that is the case then the website should point this out.

Xojo Desktop
    Develop and build apps for OS X, Windows and Linux.

Should read

Xojo Desktop
    Develop and build GUI only apps for OS X, Windows and Linux.

8. Merv P

6 Jun 2013 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro

@Alexander vnbsp;der Linden No DLL hell as Delphi compiles to one (1) native .exe.

RS / Xojo doesn't have the DLL Hell issue either. It is not in a single EXE, which would be nice, but the DLLs it uses are packaged with app folders, so you are not sharing DLLs with other vendors. That is really the issue with DLL hell, not that have to lug around DLLs in your installer, but rather some other vendor could swap out a shared DLL with some other version that may cause you problems.

I looked at Delphi a few years ago when I decided on RS and if the Mac support was better, I might have went with them, their Windows stuff seemed top notch. But the Mac version seemed pretty cludgy and thrown together. I do sometimes get the feeling that WIndows is a second banana with Xojo, but because I was trying to move into the Mac market, seemed like the better choice.

9. Joseph C

6 Jun 2013 Pre-Release Testers

I do sometimes get the feeling that WIndows is a second banana with Xojo

They are competing with the big banana in that market so clearly they'll always be the second. I think they're doing it right though, the compelling feature of xojo is the cross-platform. Being awesome at windows just makes you equivalent to a product that has a free version.

10. Merv P

Right, but couldn't you make the same argument with the Mac and native apps written in Obj-C? I agree their drawing card is cross-platform, but X-platform means more than 1 platform and I feel that Windows usually gets the short-end of the stick more than it should. Just my opinion after using RS for 3 years.

11. Who is "the big banana in that market", Joseph?

12. Bob K

6 Jun 2013 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, Third Party Store Kansas City

@Melvyn P I feel that Windows usually gets the short-end of the stick more than it should. Just my opinion after using RS for 3 years.

Agreed. I think Windows quality has gone down rather then up. Not enough people at Xojo Inc. using their own product in Windows.

13. Merv P

Question, I have an Enterprise license but I only want to renew the IDE. I don't do anything with console, web, or Real Database, just desktop. In my account it only gives me an option to renew the whole thing. The main reason I purchased the Enterprice license each year was because of where it allowed me to build apps, not for the same reasons the new Xojo Pro license touts.

14. Dana B

6 Jun 2013 Xojo Inc Austin, Texas

Contact Customer Service at custserv@xojo.com.

15. Merv P

OK thanks. I certainly see value in 3x Feedback and Priority Support, I think they should be offered as options.

16. Xojo licensing is very rigid.

17. Nedi F

7 Jun 2013 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Europe (Italy, Bologna)

I am a VB6 developer, and I don't want to switch to .NET, but, at the same time, I don't want to throw away my 10 years experience.
    Therefore I am looking for an alternative to VB6, and RealStudio seemed to me a good choice.
    Since till now I develop software on Windows, do you think I am doing the right choice?
    Thanks to everyone.

18. Wayne G

7 Jun 2013 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro New Zealand axisdirect.nz

@Nedi F do you think I am doing the right choice?

YES!!!

19. Jay M

8 Jun 2013 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro NC, USA

@Lee P They do exist

Rad Studio XE4

And it's over $4000. Also, their product line seems to keep changing and churning. For cross-platform development, you will probably keep having to switch gears and recode things every couple of years.

With RS/Xojo, the language and GUI framework have remained fairly consistent. Except for a few minor deprecations, a project from 10 years ago will still compile and run today.

20. @AlexeiVinidiktov What about Qt with its Qt Creator IDE . It's totally free. You can create applications for Windows, Mac OS, Linux. Android and iOS support is in beta. The only thing you can't do is web apps.

http://qt-project.org/wiki/New-Features-in-Qt-5.1

It's also going to be the official toolkit for creating apps for Ubuntu Phone OS and Sailfish OS (for mobile phones).

It is also one of the official toolkits for Blackberry OS.
    http://developer.blackberry.com/devzone/develop/platform_partners/qt.html

Yes, it is a very good IDE, I'm looking it and then I will decide between Qt Creator and Xojo.

21. Merv P

13 Jul 2013 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro
    Edited 6 years ago

@Nedi F I don't want to throw away my 10 years experience.

If that is a big factor (and it was for me), there is no other viable alternative. The amount of knowledge that is directly applicable is very big. That said, the best reason for going to Xojo is the ability to produce cross-platform apps. You do pay a little bit of a penalty in this area as building cross-platform apps are usually close, but not quite as good as the recommended tool of choice on the platform, but it is close enough that I'll trade some of that in for not having to maintain 2 or 3 code bases.

I will add one caveat, Xojo is on a version 1.0 release after the move from Real Studio. It is going to take a few iterations to iron out the rough areas. So you might see a bit more grumbling among the troops here than normal. That is pretty common when such a big move like this takes place.

or Sign Up to reply!