Dictation

Has anyone gotten a Xojo TextField/Area to use Windows 8 dictation? What’s the trick?

Do not have Windows 8, so cannot directly participate in the testing. Guess this would have already been activated.

Dictation works in NotePad but not with a Xojo textArea.

bump. Nothing on this?

I do not have a mike on my PC, so could not experiment with voice control.

But I suspect you could have better results using the Microsoft RichTextBox ActiveX Control available from the Insert menu.

Thanks, but the question is whether or not it will work in a Xojo native text control and if I can get it to work with Formatted Text Control which is a canvas (actually TextInputCanvas) subclass.

FWIW, the dictation in Mac OS X Mavericks works with the Xojo text controls and works somewhat with FTC. It appears to be something FTC is doing wrong not Xojo because it dictation works in the IDE’s Code Editor.

From what I can see on msdn, Speech is a .NET feature. This probably explains why it does not work in Xojo TextArea., which is reaching the limits of Win32… You may be able to get that working with a special DLL that interfaces through .NET with the speech engine, but it will require some doing.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/system.speech.recognition.speechrecognitionengine(v=vs.100).aspx

That makes sense. Thanks.

Maybe I’m missing something, but it seems to work on my Windows 8 laptop with a TextArea… once I start Speech Recognition.

I might have some weird ■■■■ going on using my headset in a VM environment. I’ll give it a shot on my crappy Win8 test laptop.

Just as a followup I have confirmed that Dictation works in Windows 8 with Xojo TextField and TextArea. There must have been something going on with my hardware/vm setup to cause it to not work.

Sadly, Dictation doesn’t work with the TextInputCanvas. There must be something that is implemented in the TextField/Area that isn’t on TextInputCanvas.

Ah…the joys of cross platform development.

Bob send me a private message and when I return Saturday I’ll send you a demo using dictation. It works for all controls. When dictation recognizes words, an event is fired and you can choose to place the text in a textarea, textfield, or manipulate controls. I’ll be leaving in a few hours to do some non dev work and return Saturday. Haven’t gotten around to making a public demo but I’ll send you the code in a working project. Using the dictation event method gives greater control over “what happens”. At least, it’s an option to look into without the dictation window popping up.

[quote=134311:@Bob Keeney]Just as a followup I have confirmed that Dictation works in Windows 8 with Xojo TextField and TextArea. There must have been something going on with my hardware/vm setup to cause it to not work.

Sadly, Dictation doesn’t work with the TextInputCanvas. There must be something that is implemented in the TextField/Area that isn’t on TextInputCanvas.

Ah…the joys of cross platform development.[/quote]

Dictation most probably works by sending key events into the system, which explains it works with Win32 applications as well. The issue with TextInputCanvas may have to do with the way that control grabs the key events. I suspect it may be using a lower event such as System.Keydown that taps into the hardware, which is not reached by sendkeys, instead of Keydown, which receives system messages . A possible workaround could be to use a “dictation” setting that takes input from keydown.

HI matthew, is there a demo for this ??
i need to research for both windows and macs