Reveal file in Explorer

1. ‹ Older
  2. last year

Emile S

12 Jul 2018 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

The code below simply opens the owning folder, it does not select the passed item, as I suspected:

Dim f As FolderItem

f = GetFolderItem("Network Interfaces.app") // Beside the running project

showurl f.parent.urlpath
  3. Christian S

12 Jul 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers, Third Party Store Germany

Or use NSWorkspaceMBS .selectFile(file as folderitem) as boolean in MBS Plugin for Mac:

dim f as FolderItem

f=SpecialFolder.Desktop.Child("test.txt")

if NSWorkspaceMBS.selectFile(f) then
      MsgBox "Ok"
    else
      MsgBox "failed"
    end if
  4. Christian S

12 Jul 2018 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro, XDC Speakers, Third Party Store Germany

for Windows, you can use WindowsShellExecuteMBS :

dim e as Integer
    dim f as FolderItem

// show documents folder

f = SpecialFolder.Documents
    e = WindowsShellExecuteMBS(0, "explore", f.AbsolutePath, "", "", 10)
  5. I prefer my Mac

Dim f As FolderItem
    f= SpecialFolder.Pictures // or other folder
    If f <> Nil Then
    f.Launch
    End If

Harry

6. Emile S

12 Jul 2018 Europe (France, Strasbourg)

@Rudolf J I prefer my Mac

but it does not highlight the file as requested by the op. :(

7. 3 weeks ago

Julian S

Sep 25 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro UK

Here's the SHOpenFolderAndSelectItems version, tested in 32 and 64. It will allow you to pop open a Windows Explorer with multiple files selected.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q6eog4rkta8l45e/SHOpenFolderAndSelectItems.xojo_binary_project?dl=0

8. Norman P

Sep 25 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro great-white-software.com/blog
    Edited 3 weeks ago

updated my blog post with a link to your code

9. 24 hours ago

Karen A

24 hours ago Pre-Release Testers

@Julian S Here's the SHOpenFolderAndSelectItems version, tested in 32 and 64. It will allow you to pop open a Windows Explorer with multiple files selected.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q6eog4rkta8l45e/SHOpenFolderAndSelectItems.xojo_binary_project?dl=0

in that code what is COM.SIZEOF_PTR ?

When i try to compile I get "this Item does not exist"

Thanks
    Karen

10. 19 hours ago

Julian S

19 hours ago Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro UK
    Edited 17 hours ago

Its used to space things correctly for 32/64 bit, its a value that changes from 4 to 8 depending on if you're compiling for 32 or 64 bit (the size of a pointer, which changes), you can use a const inside a #If Target32Bit if its not in that edition of xojo:

At the top of that method put:

#If Target32Bit
      Const SIZEOF_PTR = 4
    #Else
      Const SIZEOF_PTR = 8
    #EndIf

Then remove the COM. infront of the two lines which have COM.SIZEOF_PTR so it uses the const instead.

Out of interest, which version of Xojo are you trying this on as if the #if doesn't work on that edition, just replace it with a 4 or 8 depending on your target.

11. 13 hours ago

Karen A

13 hours ago Pre-Release Testers

@Julian S Its used to space things correctly for 32/64 bit, its a value that changes from 4 to 8 depending on if you're compiling for 32 or 64 bit (the size of a pointer, which changes), you can use a const inside a #If Target32Bit if its not in that edition of xojo:

At the top of that method put:

#If Target32Bit
      Const SIZEOF_PTR = 4
    #Else
      Const SIZEOF_PTR = 8
    #EndIf

Then remove the COM. infront of the two lines which have COM.SIZEOF_PTR so it uses the const instead.

Out of interest, which version of Xojo are you trying this on as if the #if doesn't work on that edition, just replace it with a 4 or 8 depending on your target.

Thanks!

I'm not sure... On my mac when I tried to complier for Windows in was either 2018r3 0r 2019R1.1... When I tried in parallels with Windows 7 it was some older version... maybe from 2015 or 2016... I can tell you this evening after I get home what version it was.

-Karen

or Sign Up to reply!