Pet peeves

1. ‹ Older
  2. 6 months ago

@Norman P Having to rethread a wheel hub and put in new lugs in the rain

I hear those words in my head to the tune of "Do you like pina coladas / and getting caught in the rain" :)

3. brian f

10 Jun 2019 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Chilly California

@David W I hear those words in my head to the tune of "Do you like pina coladas / and getting caught in the rain" :)

I smell a rewrite of that song.....

"Do you like re-threading wheel hubs / and new lug nuts in the rain" :P

4. 4 months ago
    Edited 4 months ago

My sister!
    She told me the other day that onions are the only food that makes you cry - so I threw a coconut at her head. I knew she was wrong!!

5. brian f

Aug 26 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Chilly California

@Richard S My sister!
    She told me the other day that onions are the only food that makes you cry - so I threw a coconut at her head. I knew she was wrong!!

I bet a bottle of rum thrown at her head would make her cry also :P

6. Pirate movies (the kind with eye patches and wooden legs-not the illegal kind).

7. Louis D

Aug 26 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro QC, Canada

Why waste a perfectly good botttle of rhum? Just drink it and ignore her. You will get the same effect, with the drink as a bonus. ;)

8. You would need a bottle of rum if you saw my sister!!!

9. brian f

@Richard S You would need a bottle of rum if you saw my sister!!!

In that case make it a gallon of your finest spirits good sir!!

10. I’m not saying she is ugly exactly, but when she goes to the supermarket, all the other customers come running out.

11. brian f

@Richard S I’m not saying she is ugly exactly, but when she goes to the supermarket, all the other customers come running out.

Oh it's probably just the way she dresses.
    I bet she is one of the nicest people we would ever meet right?

:P

12. She has a tendency to fart in lifts, before other people get in

13. brian f

@Richard S She has a tendency to fart in lifts, before other people get in

Ah a public Gasser eh?

Well that can frighten people away

14. 3 months ago

Gavin S

Sep 4 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro UK

We've all come across UI controls being used to hold some type of data in OPC (other people's code) and not just for display. For example, hidden columns in Listboxes. Ugh. Pet peeve right there.

But I came across a new low this morning. A Label control, with no text, whose Visible property was being used as a Boolean. If a condition was satisfied in code, this Label was set to visible, still with no text. Then other parts of the code checked if the Label was visible or not.

I feel dirty.

15. brian f

Sep 4 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Chilly California

@Gavin S We've all come across UI controls being used to hold some type of data in OPC (other people's code) and not just for display. For example, hidden columns in Listboxes. Ugh. Pet peeve right there.

But I came across a new low this morning. A Label control, with no text, whose Visible property was being used as a Boolean. If a condition was satisfied in code, this Label was set to visible, still with no text. Then other parts of the code checked if the Label was visible or not.

I feel dirty.

Time to take a shower and wash that dirty code away

16. Tim L

Sep 4 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Phoenix, AZ, USA

@brian f Time to take a shower and wash that dirty code away

The shower scene from Silkwood comes to mind.

17. brian f

Sep 4 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Chilly California

@Tim L The shower scene from Silkwood comes to mind.

:P

18. 2 months ago

Mark C

Oct 5 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Spain 03170

Anyways....
    when you thought 19r1 was the time, after 3 years of not upgrading, to upgrade.
    Damn those discounts.

19. Rick A

Oct 6 Pre-Release Testers (Brazil. UTC-3:00)
    Edited 2 months ago

@Gavin S But I came across a new low this morning. A Label control, with no text, whose Visible property was being used as a Boolean.

This is so insane that it took me few seconds to understand. Once I read, I was "but that property is Boolean, how could the guy setting it with something else?"

Been there many times, in special when I worked with interns touching codes.

I've saw codes humans should not be allowed to. Some caused my eyes bleeding.

I've saw things like:

// not the real code, not the real language
    x = true
    if x=true then a=0
    if a=0 Then
     ajjfakjsdfjasdjfa()
    End

And yes, "x" and "a" had no other use.

The final code ended just a function call with a better name.

---

Your case seems typical from users, not pros, developing things and coming from some sort of visual database oriented environment. I've saw this behavior from people used to Microsoft Access or FileMaker.

20. Rick A

Oct 6 Pre-Release Testers (Brazil. UTC-3:00)

I believe I have said it already. But just in case...

Once upon a time a team was discussing an API and a guy was explaining the functions parameters and behaviors of part of the code.

-If this, then that, if this, then that...

I observed the code and found an inconsistency. And asked "what happens if the parameter is zero?" (the many ifs did not catch that zero) and the guy said something like:

-Zero is a parameter this function will never have. Don't worry.

Months later there was a program crashing wildly without people knowing why. Guess what? A zero reaching there.

I guess people in Microsoft write things like "Catastrophic Failure" for situations like these, just to know that something that should never happen at some place, happened.

or Sign Up to reply!