Pet peeves

1. ‹ Older
  2. 5 years ago

Fear that some idiot will revive this thread.

Oh wait...oh no...argh!

Idiot!!!!

3. Gavin S

12 May 2015 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro UK

@David W Fear that some idiot will revive this thread.

Oh wait...oh no...argh!

Idiot!!!!

I thought this thread had just been a bad dream.

4. Norman P

12 May 2015 Xojo Inc, Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Seeking work. npalardy@great-w...

@David W Fear that some idiot will revive this thread.

Oh wait...oh no...argh!

Idiot!!!!

Where are we sending the shirt ?

5. Dave O

13 May 2015 Kwa-Zulu Natal, South Africa

Punctuation.

Practice safe text;
    use commas.
    And never miss a period.

6. Oh goody - my favourite thread has been revived!!!!!!!!!!!
    I may have to start coming back on here - even though I no longer develop software :)

7. So, I made the 3500 post in this thread.

Now I can get a coffee and relax :)

8. Norman P

23 May 2015 Xojo Inc, Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Seeking work. npalardy@great-w...

@Kem T "Anyways" is not a word.

Merriam would disagree http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anyways

9. Louis D

23 May 2015 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro QC, Canada

What? All this for no good reason?!

Peeves that are just mere prejudice.

10. Peter J

is not verified 23 May 2015 KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa

People who use yanqui dictionaries as arbiters of English.

That said, my CD-ROM OED agrees about "anyways".

11. Gavin S

23 May 2015 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro UK

@Norman P Merriam would disagree http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anyways

"Oh dear," says Kem, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

12. Simon B

23 May 2015 Europe (Wiltshire, UK)

@Norman P Merriam would disagree http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anyways

The Chambers English dictionary defines 'anyways' as:
    dialect esp. US.

13. Tim P

23 May 2015 Pre-Release Testers Rochester, NY

@Gavin S "Oh dear," says Kem, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

Let's be friends, please.

14. Eugene D

23 May 2015 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Canada scispec.ca

-image-

15. Eugene D

23 May 2015 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Canada scispec.ca

@Richard S I may have to start coming back on here - even though I no longer develop software

Why aren't you developing software Richard? Did you win the lottery?

16. @Eugene D

Why aren't you developing software Richard? Did you win the lottery?

I'm no longer developing software as I am fed up of updates continually breaking things in apps; and I'm also earning more money concentrating on Image design and UI Consultancy.

I still visit here occasionally, just to see what is happening :)

17. Eugene D

24 May 2015 Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Canada scispec.ca

@Richard S I'm also earning more money concentrating on Image design and UI Consultancy.

Congratulations! There is always a need for great image designers and UI work. I wish you all the best!

18. Thank you very much Eugene - I appreciate your kind words.

19. Web "programming".
    For the love of all that's chocolate flavoured, can someone cleverer than me please put in bucket loads of work to make web apps that are truly drag & drop buildable with absolutely NO HTML and are properly (see bootstrap 3) responsive with as much client side UI interactivity as possible so I can run my apps in dodgy places like India where the internet is always disconnecting for my clients meaning I cannot use any tool that relies so heavily on backend processing for front end activities as some do because the constant "application has gone offline" and losing their place ends up in a million angry support calls to me and I can't do anything about it because technically its the internets fault but i am expected to find a way round it so i end up being forced back into javascript and html which takes me weeks and weeks and months and tears to get anything running at all so the complainers then move their complaints to the fact i can't make it look exactly how they would like "just like the other one" which they rejected because of their rubbish internet connection and the fact it doesnt shrink down well on their mobile and the back button doesn't work properly or as they expect or as they would like it or at least as my competitors do.......

(breathe, breathe,...)

20. Norman P

25 May 2015 Xojo Inc, Pre-Release Testers, Xojo Pro Seeking work. npalardy@great-w...

@David W Web "programming".
    For the love of all that's chocolate flavoured, can someone cleverer than me please put in bucket loads of work to make web apps that are truly drag & drop buildable with absolutely NO HTML and are properly (see bootstrap 3) responsive with as much client side UI interactivity as possible so I can run my apps in dodgy places like India where the internet is always disconnecting for my clients meaning I cannot use any tool that relies so heavily on backend processing for front end activities as some do because the constant "application has gone offline" and losing their place ends up in a million angry support calls to me and I can't do anything about it because technically its the internets fault but i am expected to find a way round it so i end up being forced back into javascript and html which takes me weeks and weeks and months and tears to get anything running at all so the complainers then move their complaints to the fact i can't make it look exactly how they would like "just like the other one" which they rejected because of their rubbish internet connection and the fact it doesnt shrink down well on their mobile and the back button doesn't work properly or as they expect or as they would like it or at least as my competitors do.......

(breathe, breathe,...)

Sounds like what you want is not a "web app" but a "web connected desktop app".
    When the net is up it can operate & send data back & forth and when its not its a standalone desktop app that can continue on merrily without the internet.
    A little more pain to deploy than a web app but more resilient to things like network outages

21. You'd think so, wouldn't you? However my "clients" (a word that also begins with a c) say erroneously that "all the others can do it" ignoring that fact that the screen when you press enter or "go" merely hangs waiting for the PHP file to be processed but it doesnt go "offline" as far as they can tell so they think only mine actually crashes and when i offer them a desktop app that does ..well, what you said...they say oh no i can't have a desk top app because (insert waffle here) so im forced not to use yours (or anyone elses) rapid dev. web app tools and made to write html & js which i hate. I don't want to make programs I want to solve problems with solutions which are largely just rearranged widgets to suit a particular problem, a technical DJ if you like instead i have to try and make text boxes line up and things go under or inside other things with voodo rather than just placing them there and....well, you know the rest.

this may have been building for some time, which is more than I've been doing...

22. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!