Menubar item problem

Hi,
I am trying to make a small AboutBox menu item appear inside my app’s Application menu.

I have a single window application with the default menubar called MainMenuBar
I have created a menu item - named it AboutBox, and set it’s super to AppleMenuItem.

In my MainWindow I have created a menu handler called AboutBox and have the following code attached to it:

AboutBoxWindow.show Return True

However, when I run my app - the menu item does not display anywhere??

Can anyone help?

Thank you all in advance.

Assuming you are on OSX…
It should appear under the Black Apple (upper right)

are there other items in the MainMenuBar? do they show up (if not are you sure you have the menu attached to the WINDOW)

and of course that the menuitem itself is set to VISIBLE=true

Ok,
I now have the menuItem showing, as in the screenshot below:
Screenshot

Could someone please advise me how I prevent the About menu from displaying, and get About This Software to appear under the application menu.

I have tried selecting the About This Software menu item and changed it’s super to ApplicationMenu - it then appears correctly under the application menu (as desired), BUT the About menu still shows?

I then also set the About men’s super to ApplicationMenu - but then BOTH show under the ApplicationMenu :frowning:
I simply need JUST the About This Software to display.

Thanks.

Set About menu’s Visible toggle to No.

You create only one “About” MenuItem - as the last item in the Help menu. You set its Super to be AppleMenuItem. That’s it.

On Windows it will show in the help menu, on OS X in the application menu.

Thomas: That’s the problem - where is the visible toggle???

Eli: I have NO help menu, and I also only have 1 About menu item??

Make sure About-menu is selected. In the Inspector (right side of Xojo), under Appearance.

As you can see from the screenshot - I ONLY have the Application menu and my About menu
The About menu contains a menu item called About This Software.

I have no menu item Eli ???
And I can see no toggle switch for a menu’s visibility ??

Thanks.

Thomas - There is no toggle switch :frowning:

Screenshot

That’s odd. Try creating a new menu, it doesn’t (or shouldn’t) have to be ApplicationMenuItem, just a MenuItem. Can you see the toggle in the new menu? Then just drag the “About This Software” menu item under that new menu.

Thomas - there is no toggle for ANY menu items - even new ones :frowning:
Was the toggle introduced later than 2013 r3.1 ??

Well, maybe you can hide it in App.Open-event with AboutMenu.Visible = False.

I don’t know why the Visible toggle isn’t showing on your Xojo :frowning: I’d probably restart Xojo or test it in a new project.

It would appear it was introduced after 2013r3.1. In the app.Open event you should be able to set AboutMenu.visible = false.

Richard, I do not quite understand what you are referring two. What is going on ? You have two menu items now in the Applications menu ? :

• About
  • About this Software

If that is what is going on, select ‘About’ in the menu editor, press Delete, and the unwelcome is gone…

Or is it something else ?

Ah, you are right. In 2013r4.1 to be exact. Richard, which version of Xojo are you using?

Ok - first of all thank you :slight_smile:

(XOJO 2013 r3.1)

I have started again, and now have absolutely NOTHING in my menubar - except the default Application menu.

Can someone now please tell me the exact steps needed to put an entry under the Application menu, which says “About this Software”.

If I do exactly the steps as you advise - then I can eliminate MYSELF as the cause of the problem :slight_smile:

• In Xojo 2013r2, create a new Desktop project called “HelpAboutMenu”.

• In the Project “CONTENTS” click on the “MainMenuBar”

• In the menu “Toolbar” click on the “Apple” icon.

• Click on the “Toolbar” icon that has “Tooltip” text = “Create a new menu in this menu bar.”. An “Untitled” menu should appear in the menu bar. Give it the Name = Help and Text = Help.

• Click on the new menu item “Help”.

• Click on the “Toolbar” icon that has “Tooltip” text = “Create a new item in this menu.”. An “Untitled” item will appear under the Help menu. Name this item as required.

Syed - that is what I originally did.

Here’s a movie

So it work now, right ?