xojo on Retina display

I have a v nice Mac
dual boots Windows 7 and MacOS
have been running under windows and xojo looks good
now starting using it under MacOS
the xojo IDE is very pixellated, as are apps built using it
is there a magic switch I missed?
thanks

First off… the IDE is not optimized for Retina displays (yet)
Second … search this forum for RETINA and you will find references to all the changes you need to make to your own app to make it Retina ready.

Third: “a very nice Mac” doesn’t tell us anything about the hardware specs :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

have slapped wrist just enough so I didn’t start to enjoy it

have also searched and found some stuff,
attempting to apply with limited success so far

thirdly ( :slight_smile: ) : MacBook pro with retina display

Technically you can set the retina aware flag in info.plist of IDE.
But there are problems when IDE runs with that flag, so we normally simply keep it unset.
Maybe r2 will have it set by default?

Beside the GUI bugs it is very slow to use too.

This post was published almost one year ago. Today, I downloaded the release 2015.2 of XOJO and I see no graphic improvement : the XOJO IDE is always awful on my Retina Display.

I found a solution for my apps, but I’m working on XOJO every day and I didn’t find any way to improve the quality of the IDE on my Retina Display.

An advice?

squint?

?

Use the slowest resolution available ?

(System Preferences → Monitors → second radio button [Resized ?] → rightmost icon [More Space ?])

The only drawback I had in Retina Mode is 1280 x 800 Using the mode above: my old eyes (3360 x 2100 → MacBookPro 13" Retina 2014-11-23]).

HTH.

[quote=180408:@SbastienAngot]This post was published almost one year ago. Today, I downloaded the release 2015.2 of XOJO and I see no graphic improvement : the XOJO IDE is always awful on my Retina Display.

I found a solution for my apps, but I’m working on XOJO every day and I didn’t find any way to improve the quality of the IDE on my Retina Display.

An advice?[/quote]

Try Retinizer.

I have a Retina MBP running OS X Yosemite and with the System Preferences/Displays resolution set to “Default for display” the Xojo IDE looks OK unless you’re using SmallSystem on labels.

That makes Xojo IDE look MUCH better on a Retina display, but the GUI tools will not work right if it is Retinized. Controls will not be placed at the proper positions (sometimes) and other weirdness in the GUI layout editors.

I have everything set to default and Xojo is very fuzzy on my Retina MBP, especially comparing it to a “Retinized” application.

I bought a large monitor some weeks ago 2500xsomething - so it’s non retina. Xojo is pretty much unuseable for my old eyes on this monitor. Most other applications are okay. But the tiny tiny fonts used in the IDE for everything else besides the code made my eyes hurt. Now using 2000xsomething which is just a bit fuzzy.

@Jeremy Cowgar and @Alexei Vinidiktov - I’ve used Retinizer for the last few Xojo releases and have had no issues with UI layout. I do wish it was natively supported, but for now Retinizer has been a good compromise.

Connected to what Apple computer ?

Before replacing under warranty my previous MacBook Pro 15", and after buying a PC laptop, I noticed that my external monitor is not as bad as it was when connected to the Apple laptop.

Worse, the PC laptop wasn’t going hot even after 10 hours of full HD TNT TV…

That PC laptop is a 11.6" monitor at 1,920 x 1,080 x 120 dpi…

THe Apple laptop was a 2011 MacBook Pro 15"…

I have to agree with Kimball here, the layout editor works fine retina. It has for a long time.

@Emile: MacPro from 2009. Size matters as you know.

Beatrix:

Can you check on a 2014/2015 Retina display ?
(in case Apple improved the hardware,/ OS: Yosemite ?)

I did Feedback for configuration-options several times already.