Cross Platform Spell Checker

This week BKeeney Software released a new plugin for Windows and Mac OS X that lets Xojo developers do cross platform spell checking. Mac OS X developers have the option of using the System Spell Checker or Hunspell. Windows 8 developers can use the System Spell Checker or use Hunspell. Pre-Windows 8 developers can use Hunspell.

Hunspell is a popular spell checker used by many popular open source applications and is the basis for the Mac OS X spell checker. Free Hunspell dictionaries for most languages are available.

More information on pricing, demo plugin, and more is available at http://www.bkeeney.com/allproducts/bks-spell-checker-plugin-for-xojo/

Is this available for Linux (and thus available for Web applications)? (Or is there another way for Web applications?)

It is currently not. Sorry.

Not that it couldn’t be made to work in Linux but it would be significant effort to do so. If it’s a high need for you we can always make it a consulting project.

We updated the Spell Checker Plugin today to version 1.0.1. This version fixes an issue in Windows XP.

We updated out spell checker plugin to version 1.0.2 today. This version fixes an issue with Hunspell dictionaries that use different encodings. Free update to existing users.

I’ve been using this spell checker for a while. But, I’m finding that some of my customers are having problems with running my 32-bit compiles running on Windows 10 and Windows Server 2012 (and higher). With my 64-bit compiles, all is good.

With a 32-bit compile, the program attempts to start up and then tells the user:

[quote]Failed to load plugin SpellChecker.dll
The specified module could not be found.
[/quote]

And, then ends the program. However, no issues at all with a 64-bit compile and all is good.

Any ideas what I can do to avoid this, other than run 64-bit compiles?

We have not had that issue reported, and I’m unable to reproduce it with the current version of the plugin.

Is your installer script possibly skipping the DLL when building the installer?
Does the 32 bit build have issues immediately after it comes out of Xojo?
Which Xojo and spell checker versions are you using?

My installer is placing the DLL is correct place and I have verified that many times. When installed on an older OS, it works perfectly. Same installer and compile on the newer OS’s, fails. It’s not saying that it can’t find the DLL file, but it is saying that it can’t “load” the DLL file. As this is now happening across my entire customer base (130+ companies - 3000+ users), it’s a real problem that may force me to remove the spell checking completely from my code, unless a solution is found.

The BKSSpellChecker.xojo_plugin file is showing January 29, 2016 6:59 AM date / time. The best I can tell from Bob’s website, this is the latest version. Also, this has been happening with Xojo 2017R2.1, 2017R3, and 2018R1.1. And, this has been happening with multiple builds of my code within each of these Xojo builds, all having the same issue when install on newer OS’s, both servers and work stations.

Let me know if you need / want any additional details.

(just appreciate someone responding to this) :slight_smile:

Oh, and it happens when run directly from the IDE without compiling. Remote debug on Windows 7 runs great, while remote debug on Windows 10 fails every time. However, if I remote debug on Windows 10 but running a 64-bit debug of my program, works great.

The best way to get support with BKeeney products is to send an email to support@bkeeney.com

I am unable to reproduce the issue, and there have been no other reports of this issue :frowning:
Shoot an email to the support address and we’ll get some more details and try to resolve the problem!

I’m pretty sure that my colleague Gino has entered a support request with Bob for this.
Not sure if he got an answer yet (since I’m on holidays right now)
Thinking of which, I should probably do something else than looking at the forum :wink:

[quote=396063:@Dirk Cleenwerck]I’m pretty sure that my colleague Gino has entered a support request with Bob for this.
Not sure if he got an answer yet (since I’m on holidays right now)[/quote]
The issue there was unrelated to this one, and we do have your colleague up and running with a workaround that will be easy to swap for the desired fix once we have it implemented :slight_smile:

What this seems like from the information available is an anti-virus software interfering. We’d like to gather more information and offer suggestions by email because sometimes working out an issue is a team effort!

[quote=395693:@Terry Eutsler]I’ve been using this spell checker for a while. But, I’m finding that some of my customers are having problems with running my 32-bit compiles running on Windows 10 and Windows Server 2012 (and higher). With my 64-bit compiles, all is good.

With a 32-bit compile, the program attempts to start up and then tells the user:

And, then ends the program. However, no issues at all with a 64-bit compile and all is good.

Any ideas what I can do to avoid this, other than run 64-bit compiles?[/quote]

i just got this error with one of client using window 10.0.17134 today. the application was ok when the client was using a previous version of Windows 10.

At first i though the antivirus was preventing it to open. so try turning off anti virus or put in the exclusions for the folder.

finally figure out all i need to do is copy msvcp120.dll and msvcr120.dll into the main application folder.

the spllchecker plugin i am using is dated 26-jan-2016