How to compress Xojo project to single EXE

My brain has given up on me and I just cant remember the name of the software that allows you to compress and combine multiple files into a single runnable EXE on Windows. It allows you to take all the Xojo libs, resource etc and it creates a virtual environment but allows you to distribute a single runnable exe. Can anyone remember what it is called. Thanks.

https://forum.xojo.com/12015-no-dependency-or-external-dlls :slight_smile:

Thanks Michel, I have been searching the forum and Google for about an hour, I remembered it was something to do with an animal but didnt think of “mole”. Brilliant.

Actually, I searched for mole but it did not find anything. Then I remembered reading something quite recently, and found it in the list :wink:

Or Enigma Virtual Box http://enigmaprotector.com/en/downloads.html

We use MoleBox to combine a Xojo Web App into an exe then we insert that into another Xojo Web App as a helper app and MoleBox the lot. We also get it to encrypt the code and provide its own virtual registry.

Once you set it up you create an installer document showing what is to be included and which file is the .exe. The only problem is having to ensure all the resources are included when MBS change their DLL names or we need to include some more resource files.
http://www.molebox.com

Thanks everyone, I will look at both of those.

[quote=90036:@David Cox]We use MoleBox to combine a Xojo Web App into an exe then we insert that into another Xojo Web App as a helper app and MoleBox the lot. We also get it to encrypt the code and provide its own virtual registry.

Once you set it up you create an installer document showing what is to be included and which file is the .exe. The only problem is having to ensure all the resources are included when MBS change their DLL names or we need to include some more resource files.
http://www.molebox.com[/quote]

Interesting I can.t access site: www.molebox.com from our Company. Our proxy tells me it’s a Malicious Site

The site is Not total clean: https://www.robtex.com/dns/www.molebox.com.html

http://www.alienvault.com/apps/rep_monitor/ip/108.162.194.5/ According to this www.molebox.com seems to be a MalWare Domain

[quote]Malware Domain

108.162.194.5 is participating in malicious activity, and is confirmed to be hosting exploit code, malware, trojans, spyware and other malicious tools. These sites are infected, so DO NOT NAVIGATE to these URLs, any information about the md5 hash and executable types are provided for your reference only. The risks associated with malware infection include information leakage, service disruption, and system compromise.

Maybe the name through them out ?

Do like the Chinese do to access CNN :wink:

This one has an excellent Robtex reputation.

That said, years ago I added to my pages a small bit of code from xiti.com to measure my web traffic better, and ended up being listed as using adware. Xiti used a one pixel transparent image which was considered suspect.

Sorry if their site has a problem — maybe its been hacked — but the app itself is good. If they are a dodgy company I have seen no sign of it.

mole*

Anything that “binds” files together into a single file is considered a "Trojan binder. "… This is why Norton antivirus and many others don’t permit xojo to “build” (literally bind object code into an executable). Those scores are over-rated. Another area that hurts the site is people that have actually used the software to bind real malware to software for distribution. I still don’t understand why people rely so heavily on antivirus and malware protection. Even heuristics are often wrong… Most of it is a scam like the pharmaceutical industry (if antivirus software eliminated all threats they’d make no money). Look how many pieces of malware you’re software protects against (definition count)… Now remember that each day approximately 20,000 (minimum) new virii, trojans, worms, backdoors, etc are released and variations thereof. So when you see “warning,” chances are its found something that’s been floating around for quite a long time (not new), or is a false positive definition added to “cause a scare;” in most cases causing unlicensed users to “buy a subscription immediately.”

Just be careful what you download and always look for genuine trusted reviews.

http://www.molebox.com
You might be able to view the page behind:
http://prx.im

While I won’t touch the off-topic pharma conspiracy theories I should clarify that the problem with these flagged as malware is not yours as a developer, but one of trust for your customers.

I know it’s probably safe, but in my company I wouldn’t be allowed to use packed executables. They’d be removed and my machine would be flagged. Repeated incidences would have me called with the IT security guys (they’d be the european ones, since I’m the IT Risk & Security leader for Iberia for my company division). I’d have to then explain and it would still be banned and I’d still be flagged.

The marginal benefit of a packed executable is not worth the pain. As in other things, malware devs and spammers have ruined it for the rest of us.

I just posted about a custom method I use in a few of my installers in the other “no dependency” thread; files are packed into zip format, a ram-drive (virtual disk space) is created at startup, files are extracted to the ram-drive, and the main exe launched. When the program terminates, no files remain. Its a sure way to prevent false positives from occurring… Unless you intentionally add a “flagged” malware file.

We certainly do not want viri to troll the computers of an airline company !

These are hypothetical estimations, but one a day would already mean an awful risk for users. Now like against biological ones, profylaxis (prevention) is the best defense. So in an ideal world, people would understand that running a prated version of GTA on their office computer is a bad idea. In real life users will always do the worst possible thing at the worst possible time (Murphy’s law). As we all know from UI design and support requests.

Antivirus software is not so much for competent and responsible users as for protecting companies investment from irresponsible behaviors. Sure, they will not stop everything nor will they be without false alerts. But not using them would probably be negligence. So, as bloated, dumb and cumbersome as they are, antivirus programs are just like flu vaccine : they are not 100% proof, but they provide at least some level of protection against deadly diseases.

Pharmaceutical companies do profit from illnesses, but they did not invent the flu, which has been with humanity for many more millennia…

In the case of the tools in place in our company, you’re mistaken. They’d be flagged, blacklisted and the user (and the user’s manager) would be notified, along with the IT Risk manager for the location.

I meant “Iberia” as a region :smiley: Technically I’m in “EMEA - Iberia”, which covers Spain and Portugal.

I was really confused since we lease planes and the company manufactures plane engines. I didn’t catch what you meant at the beginning :smiley:

I agree with the rest of your comment. That was my point as well: Controls in companies are not ruled by “common sense” but by a law of displacement of responsibility. IT Risk and Governance policies require so many controls that the safest way to comply is on one side to have really extreme applications encrypting, logging and monitoring and on the other ensuring there’s close to no variability and freedom at each computer (this also works in the company’s favor when troubleshooting and getting deskside helpdesk services, which in turn lowers the cost of these, now usually outsourced, services).

[quote=90241:@Eduardo Gutierrez de Oliveira]I meant “Iberia” as a region :smiley: Technically I’m in “EMEA - Iberia”, which covers Spain and Portugal.

I was really confused since we lease planes and the company manufactures plane engines. I didn’t catch what you meant at the beginning :D[/quote]

Sorry I jumped into hasty conclusions. Indeed Iberia means the peninsula before the airline, like Britannia means the Roman province name for Britain before the ferries…

With the new xojoframework this one seems not to work anymore. It compiles but boxed-exe doesn’t run.

What about small helper apps ? (exe’s)
Could I “shell” them from my mail application ?

[quote=172657:@Kato Gangstad]What about small helper apps ? (exe’s)
Could I “shell” them from my mail application ?[/quote]

It should not be any problem.