Xojo Web Application - Basic Questions

I’ve been developing Desktop Applications with Real Studio and Xogo for a couple years now and am getting along pretty well.

I have a desire to build a few Web Applications to run on our club’s Web Page.

In one application our club members will input some information that will be added to a simple SQL database and then displayed back on a summary page.

In another application, club members will upload text-format files that will be processed to extract information tagged in the file. The extracted information will be saved in a SQL database and then displayed in various tables.

First - I Assume that the Xojo Web Application developer can handle these fairly simple tasks. Yes ?

Second - I would really love to have some URLs that are running Web Applications developed with the Xojo Web Developer so I can see a few examples of what is possible.

This will be a costly upgrade for me and I really want to make sure that the web developer will do what I need it to do.

Thanks to all.

Ron Bower
Ellicott City, MD

Check out this thread for some neat examples. https://forum.xojo.com/10065-any-live-web-projects-out-there/

[quote=83084:@Ron Bower]First - I Assume that the Xojo Web Application developer can handle these fairly simple tasks. Yes ?

Second - I would really love to have some URLs that are running Web Applications developed with the Xojo Web Developer so I can see a few examples of what is possible.[/quote]
First: Sure, this is perfectly possible.
Second: On my side:
http://www.clubdufantastique.fr/ (old one, french only, realstudio)
http://www.radfac.com (xojo)
http://www.radfac-innovations.com (still under-construction,xojo)

Wow ! That’s some very impressive stuff there. It also looks like there’s a fairly good group here to call upon when I get in a bind.

Looking at licenses now. I currently have a Desktop license that is good through July of 2015. It looks like I need to go to Xojo Pro unless I could get by without the Database Access. All of my desktop apps have so far used SQlite without issue.

What is the main thing that would require me to have a Database Access license and learn how to work with MySQL instead of with SQlite ?

Ron Bower
Ellicott City, MD

[quote=83097:@Ron Bower]Wow ! That’s some very impressive stuff there. It also looks like there’s a fairly good group here to call upon when I get in a bind.

Looking at licenses now. I currently have a Desktop license that is good through July of 2015. It looks like I need to go to Xojo Pro unless I could get by without the Database Access. All of my desktop apps have so far used SQlite without issue.

What is the main thing that would require me to have a Database Access license and learn how to work with MySQL instead of with SQlite ?

Ron Bower
Ellicott City, MD[/quote]

1. use postgresql instead of mysql (please) - NO licensing issues EVER (and its a better db in so many ways)
  2. a server may work better if you need other kinds of access (i.e. other tools) or higher concurrency levels (although I’ve seen some pretty decent concurrency with sqlite)
  3. and you CAN always TRY things out BEFORE buying the license - run locally an when you need to actually start trying to deploy then get a license for what you need - this should get you a LONG way down the road without having to spend any money now

Norman - Let me make sure I understand your points (maybe I’m a bit slow here)…

If I develop applications to use PostGreSQL, then I don’t need the Database Access License at all ?

I can develop and test web application using my current desktop license but oonly need the web license when I want to deploy and test on the server ?

Ron Bower

Ron,

You will need a database license if you wish to compile and would like to connect to any other supported databases (MS SQL, Oracle, Postgresql, MySql, etc…) other than sqlite.

What Norm is saying is correct. The IDE is free and you can use all the functionality of Xojo if you run it in debug mode. This will allow you to create a proof of concept of your upcoming application before you purchase. Once you are satisfied, you can then proceed to purchase the required licenses.

Given that you have Xojo Desktop, it might be worth while to upgrade to Xojo Pro as that will also include database and web license required to compile for what you are looking to do.

[quote=83101:@Ron Bower]Norman - Let me make sure I understand your points (maybe I’m a bit slow here)…

If I develop applications to use PostGreSQL, then I don’t need the Database Access License at all ?
[/quote]
That is not what I wrote - you will BUT you can do a LOT of development prior to determining whether you want to actually deploy the app

[quote=83101:@Ron Bower]I can develop and test web application using my current desktop license but oonly need the web license when I want to deploy and test on the server ?
[/quote]
Correct

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Norman - Very sorry that I misunderstood your statement - I got it now.

I have send an email to customer support to see what it would take to upgrade my current Desktop license (with 15 months left on it) to a Xojo Pro License. I think that’s probably the best way to go.

Thanks again - this is a great group.

Ron Bower

You might be able to get away with using SQLite. Depends on what you’re doing and the traffic level. If you need more then SQLite can deliver, I agree with Norman’s suggestion to use Postgres over MySQL. I work with both regularly and while MySQL is good, Postgres is better and under a far better license.

Thanks Daniel. The ONLY SQL I have ever used is SQLite, so I have no preference for either Postgres or MySQL. I’ll assume there are plenty of web tutorial and guides for both and I’m also sure I can call for help here anytime.

Thanks to all.

Ron Bower

I’m about ready to make the leap to Xojo Pro so I can get started working on a couple web applications. So, I’m back with a couple more “Newbie” questions, though before I do…

I’ve played around with the Web Tutorial and a couple of the Web examples. I use Google Chrome as my default browser and the applications sometimes hung when loading. So, I switched to Internet Explorer. The applications loaded and ran fine in IE, but when I closed the webpage tab, Xojo sometimes kept running and I had to hit the “Stop Sign” icon to stop it running. Is this common ?

Next about databases… As I said before, all I’ve ever used is SQLite but you guys (and a couple online reviews) have pretty much convinced me to start using PostgreSQL. How can I test PostgreSQL on my desktop running Windows OS ?

Would anyone be willing to send me or somehow share with me a snippet of code that would show how to connect to PostgreSQL, create a table, and then Insert and/or Query the table in a web application ?

Thank for all the great support and advice.

Ron Bower

Hi Ron, having to press the “Stop Sign” is normal under Windows (well it has always been that way for me). If you wait long enough it does eventually stop itself. I too have also seen my app hang with Google Chrome when loading but have never been able to pinpoint what it is. Regarding PostgreSQL , not my bag so will leave someone else to answer that.

Xojo has to wait for a timeout before it can be certain the web app has stopped running. You can click “Stop” manually if you want.

There is sample code in the User Guide (Book 3 Framework, Chapter 4: Databases), the Language Reference and there are PostgreSQL example projects in Examples/Database/PostgreSQL.

The PostgreSQL webinar might also be helpful:

http://youtu.be/3zNeePbHn48

Thanks, Paul, I’ll keep looking. I’m just very confused about how I can test on my desktop and then upload to the server and run without making some change somewhere. I’ll try working through it.

Download the installer from EnterpriseDB
http://www.enterprisedb.com/products-services-training/pgdownload
You get tools & a nice installer (and if you ever need commercial level support these are the folks to talk to)

Thanks, Norman - downloaded and installed.

Okay, I’ve made a lot of progress in the last 4 days… The documentation and the PostgreSQL Webinar has been very helpful.

I have PostgreSQL installed and running on the Windows desktop and have developed a simple Web Application that connects to the PostgreSQL DB, creates a table and a Sequence, then stores and retrieves data and displays the data in a Listbox. I have added code that allows me to restart with a new table and sequence or pick up from the last session so am feeling a lot more comfortable with PostgreSQL now than a few days ago.

I have also setup the PostgreSQL Database on our club server with a Username and a New Database for me to use.

The next logical step is to upgrade to Xojo Pro and start working on the web, but first I am trying to figure out something…

So far, all I’ve seen developed are single-screen-size web pages. Granted, the page can contain a control that has a vertical scroll bar, but my current concept is for a page that grows dynamically. Better to give an example of what I am envisioning:
http://wes.m0trn.com/results.php?eventid=75

This page grows dynamically depending on the amount of information input by the members - Can Xojo Web support a page that is not fixed height but grows dynamically as there is more information to be displayed ?

Sorry, guys, but I’ve looked over just about every example i could find and have not seen an example.

Thanks to all.

Ron Bower

Again you don’t NEED to do that until you have everything working the way you want
The big difference is the when you RUN you are using the standalone version where when you finally build you will have a choice between a CGI and standalone

The UI on the page (for the tables I assume?) is certainly doable

Norman - For me, the real “NEED” to do it soon is to gain confidence that that I can make it work on our server.

If you looked at the link I posted, you saw a very long page with many different lists. I am thinking of a page with multiple tabs/links - one for each “section” of information presented.

What’s happening is that our club members are participating in a weekend Ham Radio event that occurs every month. At the end of the weekend operating event, the members visit a “submit your results” page where they enter their results that are then displayed on the page I linked to. The majority of the information is a variety of tables listing the information in various subsets. There is also the “soapbox” area where members can add their own comments and (optionally) a picture.

The cost of the upgrade to Pro status is a consideration but not a roadblock (more like a road bump). As long as i feel comfortable that i can accomplish what I want and that people like you, Paul, Nathan, Danial, Rich, Guy and others will be available to provide assistance when I get in a bind, I’m pretty much ready to take the leap.

Thank again,
Ron Bower