Ubuntu Software Center

Looking at the Ubuntu Software Center I see now a lot of apps for sale. It is not yet the Mac App Store where I already sell my apps, but after all, why not investigate ? I could generate some of my apps for Ubuntu.

This link paints a rather poor situation, with 140 copies a month for the best selling app.
https://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/linux-users-dont-buy-software-its-still-worth-selling

Has anybody here attempted to place an app in the Ubuntu Software Center ? Is it worth it ?

Hello,

I have all my apps in the Ubuntu store… If it is worth, is difficult to say. For me it is good, also because they add the libraries for 32 bit. The user can download the app and start it. There is no problem with above libraries.

[quote=80556:@Manfred Richter]Hello,

I have all my apps in the Ubuntu store… If it is worth, is difficult to say. For me it is good, also because they add the libraries for 32 bit. The user can download the app and start it. There is no problem with above libraries.[/quote]

Good to know. Do you get a lot of support requests ? I am afraid of Linux fragmentation and precisely, issues with 64 bit systems.

Hello,

Yes I have many support requests. As you wrote the fragmentation is a problem. But also the Xojo frameworks with some bugs and different behavior between OS X and Linux.

If you ask me if I would release a version for Linux again. I dont know. But now I have this verso and manx users. So I will supper it in the future.

Thank you.

If I wanted to place an app in the Ubuntu Software Store, I suppose I would need to build .deb installer ? Could you recommend a program that does that ?

My understanding is that you can upload a ZIP to the Ubuntu Software Store and it will automatically create a deb package for you.

Hello,

yes, I upload a zip as I upload to my homepage. The Team from Ubuntu creates the installer and puts it in the store. This works fine.

[quote=80605:@Manfred Richter]Hello,
yes, I upload a zip as I upload to my homepage. The Team from Ubuntu creates the installer and puts it in the store. This works fine.[/quote]

Great. Much simpler than Windows, then. Now I need to build a self contained app akin to what is done on Mac. I need to install a custom font. I can load it in the project and save it to disk on first run. Then I have to figure how to install it.

Unlike Mac I could not find a way to add a custom font to the project. In Windows the installer takes care of installing the font in the system at the same time as the app.

The best way I can think of for Ubuntu is to first display a MsgBox explaining that it is necessary to click “Install” in the upper right corner of the window that will open, then launch the ttf font file. May not be as simple as the other platforms, but with some luck users will do as requested. Eventually I will check if the font has been installed correctly and if not display the dialog again…