Anyone else Frustrated with Cloud?

I’ve been using Cloud since early alpha. I’m still having the same upload issues that I had from day one. I get that it’s a new service but I’m entrusting my own business and the business of my clients in this service.

Anyone else as frustrated as I am?

Yes. Very frustrated. Just tried uploading media before I left work and it didn’t work (same problem…hangs at 0:00 remaining after spending a few minutes uploading).

Also wish it a was faster (but it is tolerable).

I am hopeful they will fix it quickly. I really, really like the ease-of-use; I am not an Apache expert and I don’t want to be.

I got a Xojo cloud account in beta phase. I tried it and was not happy.
Uploads failed, timeout. Especially the WebFileUploader is unusable.
I filled a few bug reports and I thought the speed issue could be solved in a few days. But so far no improvements as far as I hear. Sorry, this way I can’t use it.

The Web Edition product, at this stage, simply works much better as a stand-alone than as a CGI. Perhaps the biggest reason this is the case is because that’s how we run WE apps in the debugger. Restart from there.

The hyper-focus on security is what seems most off the mark to me. It feels like the white paper beat practical issues. Your user that requires the simplicity promised by XC way more than likely faces no credible security threat. Your user that requires the security promised by XC way more than likely can roll it themselves or pay for established solutions. That’s not to say that security can’t or shouldn’t be a secondary selling point, but the best server-side running experience is more important to your audience from what I know of them.

I can’t believe they are charging between 49 and 199 per month…that’s insane even if it didn’t have any problems…

[quote=78278:@Loren Staplin]Yes. Very frustrated. Just tried uploading media before I left work and it didn’t work (same problem…hangs at 0:00 remaining after spending a few minutes uploading).

Also wish it a was faster (but it is tolerable).

I am hopeful they will fix it quickly. I really, really like the ease-of-use; I am not an Apache expert and I don’t want to be.[/quote]

Hi Loren, we are working on it. A few users are having trouble and apparently you are one of them but we will get it fixed. It seems to be all server-side.

Well, you can get cheaper hosting plans but given that the number one complaint with Web Edition was deployment, this is a good solution for those folks. The focus on security seems to be biting us but as someone who’s had to manage my own server, I’d much rather pay someone else to do it.

The constant IDE upload issues, WebFileUploader issues, and mutex issues are killing productivity. Plus I’m not entirely sure that the IDE upload is very efficient. It seems to be doing a lot of compiling and uploading of the entire project when nothing has changed.

I would like to experiment with XC but unfortunately it’s beyond my budget as a hobyist developer.

Oh, and don’t forget that some of their pricing is totally dependent upon what RackSpace charges (which isn’t cheap to begin with). They went with a premium partner and are having to charge premium prices to pay for that service.

Think of it just like hitting build.
It compiles & relinks regardless of whether anything has changed or not.
Deploy is the same way.
It has to since there isn’t anything left on the development machine to “redeploy” if you hit deploy & deploy again.
Or hit deploy to one server change servers & deploy again.

It is too much like hitting Build because the IDE builds for all checked platforms.
<https://xojo.com/issue/32113>
Hitting Deploy should build only for Xojo Cloud and hitting Build should build only for the non-Xojo Cloud platforms that are checked.

Well, XC was an unpleasant surprise compared to what I expected from Xojo adds. I have problems both with firewall and file uploading, and I am only just starting to use XC. Heaven knows whats ahead.
However, the XC vision is indeed very exciting and welcomed, and I am prepared to pay a premium price for a premium service (which is not what I am getting at the present).
I hope they can fix the bigger bugs so that we can test it instead of fumbling around, otherwise I have to opt out of XC and go for another solution.

I must say, they are working hard to iron out the bugs. Just now they fixed the firewall issue and both the POP3- and the SMTPsockects got through XC’s super-secure firewall. Making it worth while to hang on to see whats becoming of the XC.

Somewhat frustrated but mostly anxious for all the Xojo Cloud related issues to get resolved so the IDE, web framework, VPSs, middleware, Control Panel, etc. all work together seamlessly and provide near 100% uptime for our web apps. Hopefully that will happen by 2014r2. The ease of deployment, no need to do maintenance and exceptional security make Xojo Cloud very appealing.

Perhaps that’s why we’re frustrated. We want to eat our cake now and can see that it’s almost ready but it needs a bit more time to finish baking. :wink:

Absolutely. If it was just my stuff I probably wouldn’t be so impatient. My client isn’t so patient…

The key server issues discussed here (firewall, upload speed/function, mutex) should now be addressed.

If for some reason you do happen to run into the mutex issue again- a simple Quit of the app from the control panel should now take care of it for you.

FWIW, even with using the 1.1 FC1 I’m still having uploading issues where it just stops at the very end and won’t recover.

Our fixes were server side (after the FC release), and on the upload side were focused around file uploads inside of apps. Those are working, and at expected speeds now. It’s good to see those coming through correctly now.

I can see you’ve deployed from the IDE successfully today since then, but if you have any other deployment issues going forward we’ll work them out quickly.

I uploaded new versions of the app, oh, 2 or 3 times, then it stalled out. I restarted the server and since then it’s been rock solid.

Appreciate the hard work you guys are putting into it. I don’t say it enough, but thanks.

Yes, I am frustrated as well. 2 days ago I could deploy an app from my home. The same day it didn’t work from my work place. It still doesn’t work. I get a cute collection of errors and right now it seems as if the whole server was down. Let me see … at the moment I don’t have permission to upload. This is certainly not a ‘product’ to earn your living with.