A development profile is required when building an iOS application. [SOLVED]

When I compile my (first) ios app I have this alert:
A development profile is required when building an iOS application.

I followed step by step the official Xojo documentation at Submitting to the iOS App Store — Xojo documentation and I cleaned up (and rigenerate) all my certificates (some was duplicates), but the problem still alive :frowning:

Logged out from xcode and logged in again, as suggested in another thread here…

Xojo 2019 R3.1 :frowning: Any suggestion?

Thanks a lot!!!

[quote]In Xcode 9.x or later:
Click “Download Manual Profiles”.
[/quote]
Instead of doing this, I download the profile from Apple after I create it. Then double-click on it which launches Xcode.

Did you select the correct team name in
Build Settings > Code Signing > Team

Are you using an explicit build identifier, such as com.company.appname

[quote=476118:@Jeremie Leroy]Did you select the correct team name in
Build Settings > Code Signing > Team

Are you using an explicit build identifier, such as com.company.appname[/quote]
Yes :frowning:

I have the same message :frowning: In all cases (in the profile I can select “(Distribution)For use in Xcode 11 or later” certificate or “(iOS Distribution)” certificate)

From the above it sounds like on the Apple website you have created a DISTRIBUTION certificate but not also created a DEVELOPMENT certificate. You should create both certificates. The DEVELOPMENT certificate will be useful during the development and debug stages. The DISTRIBUTION certificate will be needed when you want to distribute the app once debugged.

Now, I’m very frustrated. I have to drop away weeks of work and re-project my iosapp in xcode. I found no way to deploy my app!

Here the situation:

• Xojo 2019 R3.1 and Xcode 11.3.1 (all latest versions)
  • I have created and installed both certificates iOS Development and Distribution
  • Created app identifier for my app with no wildcard as suggested com.systemi.myapp
  • Created the profile linked to the app-id and to the certificate (in Apple Developer Certificates Identifiers & profilers website I have 2 choices for certificate: for distribution Xcode 11 or later and iOs distribution, and I’ve tried both)
  • Then opened Xcode, logged in with my account (preference pane, account), then"Download manual profile" button (I’ve cleaned up the ~Library/MobileDevice/Provisioning Profiles folder, before pressing the button)
  • Open Xojo
  • Open my project
  • In the “Code Signing” inspector I’ve put the bundle id, selected my team in the popup menu, and selected “Build for App Store” switch to “on”

In EVERY case I tried, when I build my app (in the debug mode it works very nice with the simulator), I have the “A development profile is required when building an iOS application.” message and I can’t select the built app in the Transporter.

Now here is 11.37Pm on saturday, tomorrow morning I’ll try to rearrange my app in xcode (hoping I can do this), and on monday I have to present it to my customer. I’m very angry because there is NO kind of support from Xojo inc, and I wasted many days of work, with the risk to lose my customer. If I MUST to learn Swift language, so I’ll do not need Xojo anymore. I use Xojo PRO license (RealStudio and before RealBasic) since 2001, and now I have NO support except this forum. Very sad…

1 Like

Both of those are DISTRIBUTION; the message you are quoting say a DEVELOPMENT certificate is required.

I’ve done very little with iOS in Xojo, but can tell you on the Apple developer login under Certificates, check under the TYPE column. I suspect you only have “iOS Distribution” and you also need an “iOS Development”. So assuming you do not, hit the + sign to the right of Certificates and create a DEVELOPMENT certificate.

Once you do that, also create a PROFILE for you app id (com.systemi.myapp or whatever) of type “Development” – again I suspect you only have a distribution (proably “Universal Distribution” type).

Don’t delete those – you need those too when it is time to distribute. But you ALSO need the Development. So first create the development Certificate, then create a development Profile.

[quote=476353:@Douglas Handy]Both of those are DISTRIBUTION; the message you are quoting say a DEVELOPMENT certificate is required.

I’ve done very little with iOS in Xojo, but can tell you on the Apple developer login under Certificates, check under the TYPE column. I suspect you only have “iOS Distribution” and you also need an “iOS Development”. So assuming you do not, hit the + sign to the right of Certificates and create a DEVELOPMENT certificate.

Once you do that, also create a PROFILE for you app id (com.systemi.myapp or whatever) of type “Development” – again I suspect you only have a distribution (proably “Universal Distribution” type).

Don’t delete those – you need those too when it is time to distribute. But you ALSO need the Development. So first create the development Certificate, then create a development Profile.[/quote]
It can be you’re right… I have both certificates but with a different name (see attached image), and I really don’t know why it have this name :frowning:

but I have a problem here…

I try to revoke the “wrong” certificate and see if I can generate a new one. I have nothing to lost at this time.

[quote=476353:@Douglas Handy]Both of those are DISTRIBUTION; the message you are quoting say a DEVELOPMENT certificate is required.

Don’t delete those – you need those too when it is time to distribute. But you ALSO need the Development. So first create the development Certificate, then create a development Profile.[/quote]

Update: I’ve recreate my development certificate but Apple make this with my name and not with my company name (in keychain certificate generator I wrote my company name as certificate name)… At this point I don’t know if the problem is there :frowning:

Anyway thanks for your suggestion.

OK I GOT IT!!! Finally!

It was all right except that in the profiles I have to generate a second one: one as “AppStore” and another as “IOS Development”!!! That thing is missing in the Xojo documentation, and I hope they will add 2 rows in that section!!
The Xojo official documentation says:

------XOJO DOCUMENTATION-----
Generate Distribution Provisioning Profile
In the Provisioning Profile section, click Distribution.

Click “+” to add a provisioning profile.
Select “App Store” in the Distribution section and then Continue.
Select the App ID. If you created one above, then use the one you created. Otherwise use the one you’ve been using for device deployment. Click Continue.
Select the Certificate and then Continue.
Enter a name for the profile and then Continue.
Click Done. You do not need to download the profile file."
------XOJO DOCUMENTATION [END]-----

Thanks to all for help!

1 Like

This is already in the docs. There are two separate pages for deploying to device and the App Store.

You are quoting from the App Store page, which correctly states you need a Distribution profile to deploy there.

https://documentation.xojo.com/topics/application_deployment/mobile/submitting_to_the_ios_app_store.html

The Device deployment page notes you need a Development profile to do device deployment.

https://documentation.xojo.com/topics/application_deployment/mobile/device_deployment.html

[quote=476465:@Paul Lefebvre]This is already in the docs. There are two separate pages for deploying to device and the App Store.

You are quoting from the App Store page, which correctly states you need a Distribution profile to deploy there.

https://documentation.xojo.com/topics/application_deployment/mobile/submitting_to_the_ios_app_store.html

The Device deployment page notes you need a Development profile to do device deployment.

https://documentation.xojo.com/topics/application_deployment/mobile/device_deployment.html[/quote]
Ok, nice, but… if I want to submit to appstore my iosapp, and I follow the first link, I don’t have an important info to submit my app to the appstore. Don’t you agree?

Submitting to the iOS App Store page has this sentence, which links to Device Deployment

It’s true.